Topic Options
#24213 - 04/17/09 07:52 PM Removing water-resistent SPF
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
Basically my question is how??!!

Given that our little girl has had a couple of incidents now with the good old british sun shine(!!??) we've started putting sunsense toddler milk (SPF 50) on her face and hands if she's playing outside if there's a hint of a little bit of sun ray creeping through! Crazy I know given we're only mid-way through April - but she was playing outside at the childminder's a couple of days ago and she was almost purple by the time she got out of the bath that night! And it was overcast and not at all hot, barely warm infact!

So, today the sun was out and the child minder didn't want a repeat of wednesday so lathered her in suncream! My issue is that i can't get the blummin stuff off her! She soaked in the bath for a good hour and a half tonight and there's still some on her! Usually she soaks for 20 mins or so then I begin the rubbing down and her skin rolls off - but not tonight!

Anyone got any tried and tested strategies for such circumstances??

Are there any good SPF's that aren't water resistent?

Cheers

J x

#24220 - 04/18/09 09:20 AM Re: Removing water-resistent SPF [Re: BritMum]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
We also use Sunsense toddler milk and had the same issue, in fact it REALLY dried Brandyn's skin out because we couldn't get it off. I'm very interested to hear the responses smile

The Cancer Council in Australia makes SPF clothing to wear to the beach, etc. and I'm inclined to buy that instead of slathering him in sunscreen because of what happened. This way I would only have to apply sunscreen to his face and hands and feet. It basically looks like regular clothing, perhaps they have that in the UK? Not sure but maybe worth a shot?

#24233 - 04/20/09 02:14 PM Re: Removing water-resistent SPF [Re: brandynsmum]
BritMum Offline

I've been on a mission today and I think I may have found a suitable product! I've got some Johnson's Baby suncream - SPF 40 that doesn't mention water resistance at all!! I had help from a very nice pharmacist in a local Boots store! I explained the situation and he grabbed all his books and lists and went over to the suncreams and we read practically every bottle's ingredient list and finally settled with Johnson's! His main bit of advice though was to avoid any sun LOTIONS as these are predominently alcohol based whereas the creams tend to be water based and will therefore be less of an irritant to those with Ich. He assured me that if it doesn't specify that they are water resistent they more than likely won't be! Time will tell!

I dropped the tube off at my childminders on the way home as my daughter is there this afternoon, so I will keep you posted on how we go! Bath time will be interesting to see if it comes off easily!!

J

#24236 - 04/21/09 02:33 PM Re: Removing water-resistent SPF [Re: BritMum]
LittleLove Offline

Loc: West Caldwell, NJ USA
Hi all, I just emailed our dermatologist today about this very question! We just got a request for sunscreen (as we call it in the States) from daycare. We have used Blue Lizard, but it won't come off and is very drying to DD's skin (CIE)! Its horrible. I will let you know what he comes back with.
and Myles Dillon, 10.16.10
both with NBCIE
-----------------------------------

#24250 - 04/24/09 08:12 PM Re: Removing water-resistent SPF [Re: LittleLove]
BritMum Offline

The Johnson's seems to be doing the trick! However, when I apply it she resembles Casper the Friendly Ghost!! She goes white!! I guess you could argue this is a kind of postive as it neutralises the "flushed" look of CIE when she gets warm!! lol

It does come off easier than the sunsense water proof stuff but it takes extra effort compared with when she hasn't any sunscreen on! I've been lathering her Cetraben on and using this as a soap substitute when she's in the tub. But I have noticed that I'm not able to exfoliate her as much as I have been doing. Now I'm not sure if this is because she doesn't actually need it now the weather is getting better or whether it is due to her having sunscreen on!?

We saw her derm a couple of days ago and explained our dilemma and he is writing to our GP to suggest he prescribes some Uvistat SPF. We'll give it a go and report back. But I would recommend the Johnson's in the mean time.

One final note - I've considered trying some Clinique daily (SPF 40) moisturiser - can't remember the exact name of it. Any adivce? I'm looking for something that doesn't make her illuminous!!

J x

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information