Topic Options
#23932 - 03/04/09 08:05 AM Question.... What do we do to get our story out?
Cindie Offline

Loc: Riverside County, Ca.
Hey, I'm thinking that I'd love to approach either DHC or TLC regarding one of their "miracle baby" shows.

TJ IS a miracle baby and I thought maybe because his story is so special they might like to hear it and possible do something on him.

I mean... Has there ever been a PREEMIE DEAF baby with Down Syndrome, EHK, Heart issues, Thyroid issues, as well as infection /immunosupressant issues???

I doubt it.

So help me out, esp. those of you who've been on here a while.
Who do I contact? How do I contact them?

Going to the websites there isn't much to go on. Basically they tell ppl wanting to contact the sites to send in an email which I did... but I'd love a way to have a chat with someone or even direct email someone.

Tips would be helpful please!

Cindie

#23946 - 03/09/09 04:25 AM Re: Question.... What do we do to get our story out? [Re: Cindie]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Does he have something else going on besides the DS and the EHK? I thought thyroid, heart and hearing problems were common in DS babies, and EHK has a lot of immune issues.

Odds are that places like Discovery Channel get thousands of pitches every day from people like you or with whatever they have. Some poor soul has to read through everything and forward the intriguing ones up the chain of command. I really doubt that you're going to get far in talking to someone unless you have the backing of the charity to help you get in touch.

Maybe you could contact some of the people that have been on these shows and see how they got their story told.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#23947 - 03/09/09 01:13 PM Re: Question.... What do we do to get our story out? [Re: Hearsay]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
For those members who have been on here long enough, you will recall that I did go to New York and make a talk show appearance regarding Ichthyosis and the impact on my life.
Basically, every TV show has a website, and every website has a link to submit a story idea. MOST of these shows ask that you submit your idea via regular mail (the Today show for example), because if they didn't, their servers would crash every day with the sheer volume of story ideas that people have.
My advice would be to put together a "promo pack" of sorts, with a well-written letter and photos and choose a select number of shows that you think are appropriate for your story and submit them via mail. Producers have a lot more respect and interest for someone who actually sits down and takes the time to mail a real letter with real content and real information.
Good luck!

#24044 - 03/23/09 07:37 AM Re: Question.... What do we do to get our story out? [Re: Glori]
Cindie Offline

Loc: Riverside County, Ca.
Thanks!~

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information