Topic Options
#23306 - 11/21/08 03:39 PM Chicken Pox?
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
A (CIE, age 4) woke up this morning covered in red spots. No fever, but she says her throat hurts and there are all of these spots. We are going to the doctor in a bit, but I wondered if there are any special concerns about ichthyosis and chicken pox I should mention. She says she doesn't itch, but she is scratching. I wonder if it just doesn't itch any more than she usually does?

Thanks!

#23310 - 11/21/08 09:05 PM Re: Chicken Pox? [Re: sideshowbob]
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
We thought our daughter had chicken pox last summer but it turned out to be a reaction to something. Any how we asked our derm re special considerations as i expect she will get it at some point! He said she should suffer no more than anyone else who has it, if anything the spots may dry up faster than usual. The only thing to watch out for is if they're prone to infections the risk of this may increase due to the risk of the heads of the spots getting knocked as Ich skin is more fragile.

#23317 - 11/22/08 12:25 AM Re: Chicken Pox? [Re: BritMum]
sideshowbob Offline

Well, we had our doctor visit, and both docs agreed it was chicken pox, despite her getting the vaccine. It appears to be a very mild case, thank god, probably because she got the vaccine and has some level of immunity. She still isn't any more itchy than normal, but we cut her nails and filed them anyway just to keep down the risk of infection. Her fever is staying low, so I think we'll get by with a mild peel next week (knock wood).

Errgh! Sick kid! Quarantined for a week! Errgh! I'm losing my mind!

#23354 - 11/26/08 07:43 PM Re: Chicken Pox? [Re: sideshowbob]
October Offline

Loc: Boise, Id
Ichthyosis and chickenpox is a mystery to my family mom, sister, son and myself all have severe IV and no one has ever got chickenpox. My mother had 6 other siblings without IV and they all got chickenpox...didnt realize it was possible.

#23358 - 11/27/08 01:50 AM Re: Chicken Pox? [Re: October]
sideshowbob Offline

Well, it was the strangest case of chicken pox I've ever witnessed. She had a very low fever that the Tylenol took care of, broke out in red bumps that itched occasionally (we used hydrocortizone cream and that took care of the itching) and by day four she looked like she had never even had them! Technically she is still contagious because the virus is spread through coughing/sneezing, so we are still in quarantine, but she looks fantastic!

#23361 - 11/27/08 03:14 PM Re: Chicken Pox? [Re: October]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: October
Ichthyosis and chickenpox is a mystery to my family mom, sister, son and myself all have severe IV and no one has ever got chickenpox. My mother had 6 other siblings without IV and they all got chickenpox...didnt realize it was possible.

Same here, while everyone in my childcare got chicken pox when I was a kid, I never had it (knock on wood). Maybe it does have something to do with severe IV and not really showing symptoms or even not getting it at all. It would be interesting to find out

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information