Topic Options
#23259 - 11/15/08 10:54 AM Pure Aloe Vera Oil?
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I was organizing our bathroom the other day and I found this Pure Organic Aloe Vera Daily Repair Oil that I bought while I was pregnant and never used. We have been using olive oil on Brandyn's skin and it's works wonders so I was just wondering if it would be worth trying this. The ingredients are as follows. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can tell me if there is anything in here that wouldn't be good to use on Brandyn's skin.

Sweet almond oil, calendula oil, pure organic aloe vera, apricot oil, vitamin e and B5, ylang ylang, chamomile, french lavender, grapefruit seed extract.

Thank you!!

#23261 - 11/15/08 01:16 PM Re: Pure Aloe Vera Oil? [Re: brandynsmum]
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
After using a variety of oils, incluing olive oil, we just settled on plain old mineral oil. Works as well withou the smell.

good luck,
Shannon

#23274 - 11/17/08 03:01 PM Re: Pure Aloe Vera Oil? [Re: Laurensmom]
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Hi Morgan,
Having read the ingredient list I wouldn't use that oil on myself, here is why. I tend to stay away from Aloe and vit E products as they promote skin growth and I already grow too quickly. I love the smell of ylang ylang but I would worry that that, the lavender and grapefruit extract would sting.

It might be really nice smelling in a bath though...very diluted. The scents in it are interesting because ylang ylang, chamomile and lavender are supposed to be very calming and soothing while grapefruit is invigorating. I played with aromatherapy too much in university....

#23276 - 11/18/08 12:21 AM Re: Pure Aloe Vera Oil? [Re: Sarah Helen]
Promiseland Offline

If mineral oil helps those with the types of ich that prohibit sweating, good. However, mineral oil is notorious for blocking pores and would not be advisable for those with the types of ich that do allow for sweating.

#23286 - 11/19/08 07:11 AM Re: Pure Aloe Vera Oil? [Re: Promiseland]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Thank you so much everyone! Very helpful as always. I guess we'll probably just stick with the olive oil as it seems to be working well and Brandyn does have impaired sweating issues. Actually I don't think he can sweat at all so perhaps the mineral oil isn't ideal for him.

Sarah Helen- I may try it in my bath then. It does smell very good. Very interesting about Aloe Vera promoting skin growth. We don't need that!

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information