Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23230 - 11/10/08 02:12 PM Long hair vs short hair?
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
Just a random thought going on here really .............

Our daughter's hair is now really starting to thicken up and grow! Do we keep it fairly short or grow it longer? The shorter it is I guess it will be easier to scrape out the scales and less likely to get all gunked up with cream. But if it's longer surely it will disguise her dry skin on her neck more, we'll be able to do more with it and have lots of fun with bunches etc.

What have you guys found with hair styles? Tips, suggestions and advice greatly appreciated!

(By the way, I want her to grow it longer - not too long though! So does it end up sticking to their faces and necks with cream and is it a lot harder to remove build up?)

J

#23236 - 11/10/08 10:08 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: BritMum]
scotsmum Offline

Loc: scotland, uk
Hi, we try to keep our wee ones hair pretty short, but he is a boy. I use hair clippers and find that when it gets too long it tends to often be gunky looking with lotion etc.
My intention is to keep it pretty short and actually put cream on his scalp but often never get round to it. His scalp is really dry and scaly. There was a thread a while ago where someone said they applied cream/lotion to the scalp for a few days and noticed a big difference.I have tried it in small patches eg area above his ear and noticed a change so would like to use it more (he was not impressed 'dont put cream in my hair mummy!'). His hair has got a bit longer lately and I dont really want to cut it off as it has got v cold here!

#23239 - 11/10/08 11:53 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: scotsmum]
KimNL Offline

Loc: Holyrood, NL, Canada
I was wondering the same thing, Britmum! never got around to asking thought. Casey's hair is finally coming in too - and I love long hair, but ifit's going to be difficult for her, I guess I'll keep it shorter. Looking forward to the responses from Mom's who've been through it with their girls!

#23241 - 11/11/08 02:35 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: KimNL]
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
My daughter has LI and was born Collodion. She is 4 and a half years old and has very long hair. We haven't had any issues at all with it. In fact, her scalp is a little better than her brothers who also has LI, was born Collodion, and has very short hair. Her hair seems to hold onto the lotion at night which is great because it lays on her scalp all night long. I wash her hair every morning and lotion her scalp every night.
Best of Luck!

#23243 - 11/11/08 06:05 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: Angel24755]
KimNL Offline

Hi Lisa,
So you massage in her regular body lotions at night? And shampoo out in the am? Do you use Aquaphor on her scalp, or something different?
Thanks,
Kim

#23244 - 11/11/08 10:13 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: KimNL]
Angel24755 Offline

Hi Kim,
We use Curel Ultra Healing Lotion as our lotion (under cream in the morning and under Aquaphor at night). I don't use cream or Aquaphor on her scalp...just the lotion. I usually start at one side of her head, part the hair, put a ton of lotion on, rub it in a bit, move over a few inches and do the same until most of her head is covered pretty well. I used to be able to just put it on and rub it in but now that her hair is so long, it works out better to part it in places. Once her entire head is covered I massage it in with my fingers really good and then use a towel to dry off some of the excess. I don't dry it much...just so that there isn't a ton of lotion laying on the hair. In the morning I wash her hair with one of five shampoos (I alternate)...Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo, Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo, Regular kid shampoo (Suave or Loreal Kids), Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo, or Nexxus Therappe Shampoo. I try to make sure that I use Tea Tree once or twice a week and T-Sal once or twice a week. Those two shampoos seem to be the ones that keep her scalp scale free along with a nightly lotion. The other days I let her pick which shampoo she wants as we like them all equally. After I wash her hair I spray it with Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist and rub it into the scalp. I let it air dry and she's good to go. Her hair isn't greasy and her scalp is scale free so we're both happy. Every once in a while I give her a skip day if we're not going anywhere. I either put her hair in a pony tail or put a head band on her and let her go.

For the most part I do the same exact thing with my son. At times I will lotion his scalp right after I wash his hair to keep him moisturized. It seems that her hair actually protects her scalp a bit where as his is short and it seems to dry out quickly (although his is SO much easier to take care of lol). My guess is that the lotion never really dries at night with it being so long and the water lays in her hair longer when it's wet and air drying in the morning which also helps.

If you're having a difficult scalp day and you want to keep lotion on it, a nice trick for less lotion in the hair is to lotion the scalp while the hair is wet. If the hair is saturated with water it can't suck up as much lotion. It still won't look the same as it does without but it is a lot less greasy than if you lotion when the hair is dry.

If you have any more questions you're more than welcome to email me. I can also share a few photos with you.

Edited by Angel24755 (11/11/08 09:33 PM)

#23245 - 11/11/08 09:23 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: Angel24755]
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks so much for sharing your strategy! It seems as though you've got it sussed! Pics would be great to see how your hard work pays off!!

#23246 - 11/11/08 09:30 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: BritMum]
Angel24755 Offline

I will gladly send you a link to some current photos of my little ones but I'd rather not post it on the board. Your email isn't in your profile. If you send me an email I will get the link right to you! smile

#23247 - 11/11/08 10:34 PM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: Angel24755]
KimNL Offline

Thanks so much, Lisa!!!

What a great and thorough response. I expect it's going to help us a lot!
Thanks again,
Kim

#23249 - 11/12/08 10:45 AM Re: Long hair vs short hair? [Re: KimNL]
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Loc: England
Thanks Lisa,

I was going to post on the board about hair but Britmum beat me to it! Ivy's scales are coming off and her hair is very long (for a baby) and I can't wait until I can give it a good brush. After all the scales have come off I don't really want to put cream on it during the day. At the moment I'm applying olive oil at bath time and then putting cream on, then I put a bandage hat on her head. This is ok for now but I don't want her to have a bandage on her head for ever!! Then in the morning I just put more cream on. She does look very cute though and lots of people have commented on what a cute hat it is! I don't have the heart to tell them it's a bandage!!

4 year old girl with Lamellar Ichthyosis

Baby girl unaffected

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information