Topic Options
#23224 - 11/10/08 07:02 AM Baby Wipes
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
While Brandyn was in the hospital, the nurses used soft make-up type pads and water instead of wipes for Brandyn and we have continued to use these at home too. I'm just wondering though if it's ok use regular baby wipes. I would buy the sensitive kind of course but is there any reason not to use them? Our dermatologist initially said no (in hospital) but that was before Brandyn was diagnosed and they weren't sure what the extent of his condition would be like.
I don't think his skin is overly sensitive, just very dry so any imput/suggestions are appreciated!!

#23229 - 11/10/08 02:54 PM Re: Baby Wipes [Re: brandynsmum]
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
We use various different types of wipes (sensitive and regular, branded and basic). It depends what's on offer at the supermarket!!!! I've never noticed any detrimental effect what-so-ever! In fact I believe that the wipes are much better than water and cotton wool as you really have to rub hard some times when the little ones are totally caked up with whatever they've parted with (!!??!!) and we found this would result in horrendous nappy rashes! The wipes remove all residue much easier and they do what they say on the packet too - leave babies skin soft! We always moisturise afterwards though with the prescription creams!

Jx

#23231 - 11/10/08 06:28 PM Re: Baby Wipes [Re: BritMum]
WildThingMom Offline

My son goes crazy without wipes. He won't make a BM out in public unless we have a wipe with us. He says that TP hurts. We use cottonelle wipes (but that's in the USA). I'd say try a sensitive brand & see how it goes.

#23233 - 11/10/08 08:52 PM Re: Baby Wipes [Re: WildThingMom]
scotsmum Offline

Loc: scotland, uk
Hi, we use wipes on our son (nbCIE) but, to be on safe side,we always buy fragrance free ones. Agree our son is similar-skin is not esp sensitive, just v dry.

#23237 - 11/11/08 12:17 AM Re: Baby Wipes [Re: scotsmum]
brandynsmum Offline

Thank you! It's great to hear that your little ones haven't had any issues with wipes. We're going to be starting solid foods soon so that is why I was thinking it would be a good time to try the wipes, LOL!

I figure if they dry him out a bit, I will just apply some cream or Eucerin which I do pretty much everytime anyway.

#23250 - 11/12/08 11:50 AM Re: Baby Wipes [Re: brandynsmum]
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Loc: England
I asked our derm and she said no to baby wipes at first. I'm going to ask her again when we go next month as I think Ivy doesn't have sensitive skin just dry. She hasn't had reactions to things derm said no to so far (not that I'm testing things on her all the time!!)
I think fragrance free would be ok. Cotton wool and water in public isn't always practical.

4 year old girl with Lamellar Ichthyosis

Baby girl unaffected

#23260 - 11/15/08 10:56 AM Re: Baby Wipes [Re: Ivy's Mummy]
brandynsmum Offline

I just wanted to update and say that Brandyn has done just fine with baby wipes, YAY! Thank you everyone!

#23278 - 11/18/08 11:15 AM Re: Baby Wipes [Re: brandynsmum]
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Loc: England
good to know Brandyn is ok with baby wipes and has had no reaction.

4 year old girl with Lamellar Ichthyosis

Baby girl unaffected

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information