Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23084 - 10/31/08 06:40 PM New Mummy
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Loc: England
Hi, I have a beautiful 7 week old daughter - Ivy with suspected Lamellar Ichthyosis. They haven't diagnosed Lamellar but have diagnosed Ichthyosis. Until she was born I hadn't even heard of the condition!! We basically don't know very much about it and would be very grateful to anyone who can help us!! She was born with a collodian membrane and the doctors and nurses who delivered her hadn't seen it before either. We've seen the dermatologist 3 times since she was born but don't really tell us anything new. The scales on her body have nearly come away she just has a few left on her arms and legs, but her scalp has the majority of scales. Because she was born with a full head of hair they are really stubborn. She has scales on her forehead too which seem to be coming away slowly. When she was born we used 50/50 white soft parafin but on the advice of the nurse now use hydromol to try and loosen the remaining scales whilst using bandages. Her red skin has lessened over the weeks and now looks a "normal" skin colour. I think we just want to talk to other people in the same situation as us. We have no-one to talk to about her condition. What to expect with her skin, what the future holds, how her skin reacts to things, how to wash clothes etc. We live in the UK.
Thanks in advance.

Emma

http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Emmalina0/?action=view&current=P1020369.jpg

4 year old girl with Lamellar Ichthyosis

Baby girl unaffected

#23085 - 10/31/08 08:49 PM Re: New Mummy [Re: Ivy's Mummy]
anaronni215 Offline

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Hi my name is Julie. I had two children born with a collodion membrane. If you want to chat I have instant messenger. It is anaronni07@yahoo.com.

#23086 - 10/31/08 08:55 PM Re: New Mummy [Re: anaronni215]
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Welcome to the board!
Thanks for showing us pictures of your sweet girl smile

Because I'm much older and have a different type (EHK) I don't have too much advice for you. Others with much more knowledge will come along for that. There is a UK group that I know Les will be able to share with you.

I just wanted to say Hi *waves across the pond*

#23097 - 11/01/08 04:34 PM Re: New Mummy [Re: Sarah Helen]
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Thanks for commenting on my post. Julie, I don't have instant messenger but will have a go at downloading this week so I can ask a few questions.
Thanks once again

Emma

Baby girl unaffected

#23098 - 11/01/08 04:34 PM Re: New Mummy [Re: Ivy's Mummy]
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Sorry forgot to say thanks Sarah!!! Hi to you too.

Emma

Baby girl unaffected

#23099 - 11/01/08 11:31 PM Re: New Mummy [Re: Ivy's Mummy]
aylasmom Offline

Loc: Waterford ,MI
Beautiful girl- Welcome to the board-

Dawnn (mom to Ayla, 2.5 years- born with collodion membrane/CIE)

#23101 - 11/02/08 01:33 AM Re: New Mummy [Re: aylasmom]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hi Emma- Congratulations, beautiful little girl!

Brandyn is 4 months old now and was born with a collodion membrane and has been diagnosed with lamellar ichthyosis. I understand the frustration of not knowing anyone to talk to that understands Ivy's condition but you have certainly found a great place here :)Everyone here is extremely welcoming and helpful.
We're very new at all of this too but you can e-mail me anytime mgotfried@urban-ent.com and I'm glad to help in anyway I can.

Regarding scalp scales..it was recommended to me here to use olive oil which has worked absolute wonders in the 1 1/2 weeks we've been using it. I just rub it on Brandyn's scalp at the beginning of his bath and then at the end, I gently rub a face cloth over his scalp. We have also found that two baths a day works really well at hydrating his skin and getting the dead skin off. I have read that baths dry out some peoples skin though so just be aware of that.

#23104 - 11/02/08 02:14 AM Re: New Mummy [Re: brandynsmum]
KimNL Offline

Loc: Holyrood, NL, Canada
She's gorgeous!
Thankfully you found this board and it should help. It has helped us immensely! Our daughter, Casey (presumed Lamellar Ich), was born this past February and this board has been invaluable. Lots of trial and error as different products work for different people.
Our regimen: Baths twice weekly.
AM - Dermal therapy lotion, followed by Cetaphil Cream mixed with a dollop of pure Glycerine, followed by Aquaphor
After each diaper change - Cetaphil cream + glycerine, followed by Aquaphor
PM - Either Dermal therapy or Lac-Hydrin 12%, followed by the cetaphil/glycerine mixture followed by Aquaphor.
She is doing quite well so far - but we're gearing up for our first full winter, so that regimen may change based on her needs.
I think the UK has a similar climate to ours (wet/foggy)so at least the air has moisture which helps. We are in Newfoundland , Canada.
Anyway, we're all here to help each other. Feel free to email me if you wish! kimghaney@gmail.com

Good luck

#23108 - 11/02/08 10:50 AM Re: New Mummy [Re: KimNL]
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive here! It's good to have people to talk to at last!!!

We have been told not to bath her very often so have only been doing it once every 2 days. I think I might try once a day to see what happens. I think it's just going to be trial and error with her skin!!

Have tried olive oil but only twice but will keep trying it at bath times especially with a face cloth.

We have noticed that her skin does seem to get better if we're outside which I find odd as it's freezing here at the moment but maybe it's the moisture in the air. We went to an outdoor Halloween/Bonfire party last night and lots of people commented on how much better her skin looked. We had been out for most of the day also, so I do think fresh air helps.

I feel much better knowing I can talk to other people who understand - thanks!!!

Emma

Baby girl unaffected

#23109 - 11/02/08 11:00 AM Re: New Mummy [Re: Ivy's Mummy]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hi Emma, I just wanted to add the our dermatologist also told us not to bathe Brandyn often. Obviously, we are not in the habit of going against what he says but in this case, it proved worthwhile. I think you're doing the right thing by trying a bath once a day and that way you can see how you go! The worst that happens is that it dries Ivy out and then you know it doesn't work and best case scenario, it really helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information