Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22918 - 10/19/08 03:46 AM Sunscreen
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I'm just wondering if there is a particular type of sunscreen that is better for people with ichthyosis, specifically LI. Obviously something with a high SPF is better but I'm a little concerned about putting it on Brandyn because I'm not sure if his skin will really absorb it because of the scales. When I put regular cream on him, it doesn't really go into the skin if you know what I mean and the last thing he needs is a sunburn!

#22936 - 10/20/08 03:09 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: brandynsmum]
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
Our derm isn't a huge fan of sunscreen (sounds bizarre I know)! He said the best thing for the little ones is to use thin layers of clothing. The reason he gave was that as you mentioned in your post the scales can prevent it from doing what it should how it should and also he said that due to people with Ich not being able to sweat normally, sunscreen just adds to this prob as it blocks pores even more. We had first hand experience of this whilst on holiday in the Canary Islands this summer. Our daughter developed horrendous prickly heat rash as a result of using spf 50! Having said all this, i know there are times when I wouldn't want her to be outside with no spf on as you can't cover all areas with clothing! I know I've read a post on here some time ago that recommended a certain sunscreen as it is manufactured by the company that produce an emollient used by those with Ich. I can't for the life of me remember what it is though! Perhaps someone will help me out on that!!

Jx

#22955 - 10/21/08 07:22 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: BritMum]
scotsmum Offline

Loc: scotland, uk
Hi, we use Australian Sunsense toddler milk, it was recommended by a derm nurse and we get it on prescription, something I didn't know about before. It seems to work ok and no irritation so far after 1 (scottish!) summer, hardly used it, and 1 mediterranean holiday. Our son has CIE, pretty dry and white scale with some cracking & always itchy.

#22968 - 10/22/08 11:46 AM Re: Sunscreen [Re: scotsmum]
BritMum Offline

Is the toddler milk thick and "lardy" like factor 50? It sounds good if not, I'll ask about it!

#22988 - 10/24/08 03:28 AM Re: Sunscreen [Re: BritMum]
brandynsmum Offline

Thanks!

BritMum- Everything your derm. says makes perfect sense I just worry about putting extra clothing on Brandyn because he already has such overheating issues, even in just a simple onesie. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on sitting in the hot Australian sun with him, LOL.

I'll try to find the Toddler milk here, thanks again!

#22993 - 10/24/08 06:35 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: brandynsmum]
scotsmum Offline

Hi, tried to post yesterday but my connection was playing up, the sunsense toddler milk is spf50 but its not thick, its quite runny actually and seems to soak in quite well. Its Australian and made by 'ego pharmaceuticals'. Hope it agrees

#22996 - 10/24/08 06:51 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: scotsmum]
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
We've always had very good luck with spray sunscreen. It doesn't dry the kids out and doesn't need "rubbed in" like a cream sunscreen would. We use Banana Boat spray but there are many brands making spray now.

#23007 - 10/25/08 10:33 AM Re: Sunscreen [Re: Angel24755]
brandynsmum Offline

Scotmum- That's interesting! Ego pharmaceuticals is the company that makes Brandyn's QV Bath Oil and Intensive Repair cream that we use, both of which, specifically mention ichthyosis on the label. Will have to try it out! It seems like a good company.

#23023 - 10/26/08 09:18 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: scotsmum]
BritMum Offline

Scotsmum - Did you get it on an NHS prescription or was it a private script?? I'm going to make enquiries about it as is sounds ideal!

Jx

#23234 - 11/10/08 09:57 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: BritMum]
scotsmum Offline

We got it on nhs prescription, was told that anyone with a skin condition is entitled to nhs prescription for sunscreen. We think its really good because before this we tended to buy quite expensive sunscreen as the regular kids stuff just didnt agree with him at all.

#23235 - 11/10/08 10:02 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: scotsmum]
BritMum Offline

I emailed our derm nurse and she's said to ask the GP and if we have any probs she'll write to them! I'm going next week with my new addition so I'll ask the question and see what he says!

Thanks ever so much for the recommendation!

#23238 - 11/10/08 11:25 PM Re: Sunscreen [Re: scotsmum]
brandynsmum Offline

I just wanted to give an update! I bought a sensitive baby sunscreen which our derm. recommended (I called!) and tried it out and it was just too thick. It dried his skin out a lot so I went and bought the Sunsense toddler milk as scotsmum suggested and it is SOOO much better, thanks!!

I guess with everything, it's trial and error. Our dermatologist seems to know a lot about ichthyosis but quite frankly there is nothing like the advice of someone who has been through this, thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information