Topic Options
#22326 - 08/10/08 05:23 PM Cracked Hands
Carol Offline

Loc: ada,mi,usa
My son is 14... his hands and feet are very badly cracked and sometimes bleed.... any advice on treatment... I have tried many lotions (especially on his hands) with very little success.

#22330 - 08/10/08 07:22 PM Re: Cracked Hands [Re: Carol]
MISFIT2012 Offline

Loc: Utah
I have the same problem especially in the winter. There is a product called Working Hands that works really well.

#22360 - 08/13/08 07:30 PM Re: Cracked Hands [Re: MISFIT2012]
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
I have that problem, too. Especially once it gets cold out. My feet get so dry, I always wear socks and shoes, even in the summer and even in the house. When I go to someone's house and they have a "no shoes" policy, I bring along a pair of slippers that have rubber soles so my feet still have protection.

One thing that might help is, before bed, soak his hands & feet in a salt water bath, rinse them off, then put Vaseline on them, and wear socks and gloves to bed.

Another thing (and it sounds strange, but it does help) is if he gets severe cracks, put a drop of Super Glue in them. It helps seal the wound from dirt, sock lint, and keeps it from hurting. As the crack heals, the new skin will force the Super Glue out.

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information