Topic Options
#22283 - 08/08/08 02:00 PM dental cavities
steph Offline

Loc: carrollcounty,MD USA
Has anyone else who is currently taking retinoids or taken in the past had problems with tooth decay? I'm freaking out because I just keep getting more and more cavities. Any suggestions?

#22333 - 08/10/08 04:16 PM Re: dental cavities [Re: steph]
Lizzie Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Steph,

David 3 yrs old has been taking Acitretin since oct 07. Unfortunately we have just experienced our first encounter with decay which we are fairly certain is a result of the Acitretin, awaiting a second dental appt in 4 weeks time to investigate further.

In the meantime they have told us to brush his teeth straight away after he takes it as it is in a syrup form and we need to ensure all remains of the syrup are removed from the tooth surface straight away.

Sorry can't be of more help, if we find out anything else will let you know.

Lizzie

#22334 - 08/10/08 04:19 PM Re: dental cavities [Re: steph]
Lizzie Offline

Loc: Ireland
One other thing one of the mums previously mentioned to me in another post that the steroid reduces saliva production which affect the protection of the enamel. Do a search under this forum for posts by me and you should find one called "Acitretin....How young should they start." The reply is on this thread.

Lizzie

#24725 - 07/02/09 10:35 PM Re: dental cavities [Re: Lizzie]
luckelizard Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Glad someone else brought this up.. My teeth have been getting not just cavities in them constantly.. I thought it was because I had two kids.. I had no cavities up till I was 19.. Now at 27 Im praying I don't have to get dentures anytime soon.

#27994 - 10/22/11 03:33 AM Re: dental cavities [Re: steph]
dfdsasf Offline

Dear god, the spam!!! So tired of it.

Edited by Hearsay (10/22/11 04:56 PM)
Edit Reason: incoherent spam

#28417 - 05/21/12 07:35 AM Re: dental cavities [Re: Lizzie]
ola Offline

Loc: egypt
hello this is Ola, a mum of Nour 8y old girl with LI her derm. advice us to start retenoids (neotigason) 10mg a day he said that it is a low dose that can minimize the side effects can any one comment please help

#28421 - 05/21/12 09:32 PM Re: dental cavities [Re: steph]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
http://www.drugs.com/uk/neotigason-10mg-capsules-spc-8597.html

Acitretin has a half life of 120 days. That means that a single dose stays in the body for 120 days before 1/2 of it is gone, and another 120 days until 3/4 is gone, and so on. It is designed to be used for a short period of a week or two for a psoriasis flare up. It causes birth defects and someone that is on it should not get pregnant for at least 2 years after stopping the medicine.

Overall, I personally think that anything that toxic has no business being used in a child, but this is a highly controversial topic and many people feel that the skin appearance outweighs the risks.

We do use Tazorac, which is a topical retinoid. (Tazorac=Avage=Zorac, depending on your country). It has a very short half life of 18 hours and very few side effects. I would look at that route instead, myself.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#28439 - 05/27/12 03:34 PM Re: dental cavities [Re: Hearsay]
ola Offline

Loc: egypt
thanks HEARSAY,can you describe the way u apply such local retenoid?..in our country we have 0.1% tazorotene..plz let me know the effective dose and its frequency .

#28457 - 05/31/12 07:56 AM Re: dental cavities [Re: steph]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
We use the .05% dose on the kids. The way we do it is we wait until the skin has gotten gray and yucky and you can't really scrub it to manage it, then we take a cotton swab and squirt a dab on the end. Then we rub it into the affected area (usually the front of the neck, armpits or behind the knees) and let it dry. After about 4 days, the gray layer starts to look like it is bubbling up. It starts to itch. Within a day or two, it starts to flake off and after 2-5 days of flaking, the skin is completely cleared up and stays beautiful for several weeks, longer if it is maintained.

Some people use it daily or weekly as a maintenance dose on elbows or wherever buildup is a problem. It's really not supposed to be an all-over use, just a topical thing to fix a spot or two.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information