Topic Options
#207 - 11/23/00 06:39 PM Arogant dermatologists
Danusia Offline

Loc: canada
After spending an hour in my derm's waiting room and then an hour in the examining room -- only to get a prescription renewal that I was told could not be handled over the phone and which I've been getting from the same doctor for 12 years! -- I walked out and decided to move on to someone else. Luckily I live in a large city with several practicing derms and a university. Anyone else out there with a doctor who is too absorbed with laser resurfacing and other aesthetic procedures to care too much about the regular skin patient?

#208 - 11/24/00 07:51 PM Re: Arogant dermatologists
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I have been fairly lucky, because I choose mainly University doctors who are concerned about the causes of Ichthyosis, the side-effects of it, and everything else it can do to your body and your life. Visual appeal is not their only focus, and that's what I have found with mainstream dermatologists: Fix the outside and everything else will be OK.
This is kind of why I stick with University doctors and researchers.

#209 - 11/28/00 01:04 AM Re: Arogant dermatologists
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
That's terrible Danusia. I've been very lucky. I've been seeing the same derm (in private practice, not affiliated with a university) for almost 20 years. I first met him when he was running a clinical trail for Roche on Accutane. Anyway, just a couple of weeks ago, I called for a prescrip renewal on my custom compounded creams that I've used forever (which I need annually now, with my PPO insurance) and his office is very accomodating and he just wrote them out and mailed them to me. I haven't been in his office in about 3 years now.

You probably made a good choice, in moving on (esp. if you're in a big city and have lots of other options). I've been very lucky though--most of my adult life I've been in contact with really wonderful derms. So don't get discouraged--there's a derm out there that will give you the care and attention you deserve.

#210 - 11/28/00 05:15 PM Re: Arogant dermatologists
Danusia Offline

Loc: canada
I just saw a new dermatologist yesterday and he is wonderful. He actually had a good look at my skin and spent more that a couple of minutes in discussion. I liked the fact that I was also seen by a resident and a student intern since it seems to me that this way more doctors are getting to learn about ichthyosis and the "younger generation" will be better informed.

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information