Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20979 - 05/04/08 12:09 PM Can it be true ?
Dignity_Gurl Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi all,
Iím new here and this is my second topic here.
I just had a question to ask, and I really need some advices.
Itís just that, I have always wanted to become a doctor when I get older. But one day, a few months ago, I was talking with my teacher about my future, and I told her that I wanted to be doctor. She said that it may not be possible for me because of my skin. It really made me sad, and I cried a lot that day. Even now, when I think about it I cry. Cause it had always been my biggest dream to become a doctor one day and help other people, who need it. But what if I canít? What if my teacher is right, then what? I really donít know what to think or to do ..

#20980 - 05/04/08 03:08 PM Re: Can it be true ?
TiffanyJ Offline

Loc: Jackson, MS
sounds like your teacher's a prick. you can be and do what ever you want. it may be harder having to deal with others that may think like your teacher. but it will be worth it. keep your head up
Jackson 5/3/07 Lamellar and collodian

#20981 - 05/04/08 05:56 PM Re: Can it be true ?
PsychGal Offline

Loc: By a large mountain
Dignity,

Firstly, your teacher is not a physician. So I'm not sure exactly what credentials and background he/she has that presupposes entitlement to determine physical qualifications on being a physician. I recently read about one med student who is completely blind and know of several others who are physically disabled.

Do not let one person's opinion dictate the goals you want to pursue. Figure out your dream, work hard and go for it.

#20982 - 05/04/08 06:55 PM Re: Can it be true ?
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

What???? What the hell does she know about ich and limits on careers? What does she know about what it takes to be a doctor? Don't pay any attention to it, let alone get depressed and cry.

I am not making a poltically correct statement: you can do whatever you want, blah, blah, blah. That is not what I am saying. If you have heat intolerance issues about sweating, you may or may not pass the physical for some occupations, such as policeman, fireman or military. But I do not see heathcare falling into that category.

Your teacher probably has some quaint and old-fashioned view of what the "image" of a doctor should be. Forget all that. Just focus on your studies. I think if you were interested in dermatolgoy, you would have an extra good chance or advantage. Good luck to you.

#20983 - 05/04/08 10:04 PM Re: Can it be true ?
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Your teacher is mistaken that people with ichthyosis cannot become doctors. Plain and simple. Psychgal, for example, just got her professional license. My husband is a senior attorney in a top-tier firm. It CAN be done. Don't let a teacher dissuade you.

Depending on the sort of ichthyosis you have, it may limit your choice of field once you're in medicine - if you have a lot of open sores that put you at risk or contracting HIV or something, or limit your fine motor functioning, surgery OB/Gyn or the ER is probably not a wise choice. But why should that stop you from entering, say, genetics or dermatology or neurology? You can do all of those without exposure to bodily fluids and only minimal trauma cases.

The real problem with getting into medicine is the level of competition. At most schools, the acceptance rate is dismally low - maybe 10% of applicants or less. Some schools have 10,000 kids applying for 100 spots. Less prestigious schools still have 100 spots and 1000-5000 applicants. It's probably wise to have a backup plan in place (I didn't and wasted 3 years of being wait-listed before figuring something else out.)

You can succeed if you have the drive and the grades, though. If that's all you have, though, you won't stand out, because that's par for nearly all the applicants. Start looking now. See if you can get into a research lab or shadow a doctor. Make connections in the field early on that can eventually write dazzling recommendations and connect you with future colleagues. Don't give up your hobbies, though. Most schools like well-rounded candidates that take time for music or karate or whatever you like to do. You CAN succeed wherever you like. It's all in what YOU put into it; not what some teacher says. I am one; I can guarantee that we don't know everything.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#20984 - 05/05/08 05:20 PM Re: Can it be true ?
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
Like everyone else on here has already stated: your teacher's a jerk.

Your skin won't limit you in becoming a doctor. In fact, I think there is an awesome dermatologist in the Denver area (at least there was a few years ago) who had ich!

The only issue I think you would have would be with the constant handwashing. But a good hand-lotion regime would help offset the affects of frequent handwashing.

#20985 - 05/06/08 11:37 AM Re: Can it be true ?
Dignity_Gurl Offline

Loc: Denmark
Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate everything you've said and the advices you've given me. I'll try to follow them. But sometimes I just feel like I canít handle it. It just gets too much and I feel like no one can understand me, and I just breakdown and cry and cryÖ
But Iím really happy that I have found this site, where I can talk with people who really understands how I feel and what Iím going through.
Thanks again for your supports.

#20986 - 05/06/08 03:17 PM Re: Can it be true ?
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

I do not know what country or what continent you intend to pursue a medical education. But I believe you would have an advantage in your application if you chose to pursue dermatology because of your ich condition.

Still, you would need to be fully prepare at the undergraduate level. Good luck to you.

#20987 - 05/06/08 04:49 PM Re: Can it be true ?
PsychGal Offline

Loc: By a large mountain
Dignity,

You mentioned feeling at times like you "can't handle it," and "cry and cry." Do you have a few supportive friends or a good relationship with your parents that you can use to help alleviate some stress? Those *bad days* are pretty rough for anyone to handle on their own and I want to make sure you have some sort of outlet to get the negative emotions out. A dance class, art, going to lunch with a mentor or friend... anything that is a healthy way to cope with some of the frustration inherent to having a skin condition.
Hearsay has a point, and I should have brought it up to you. While I am not a physician, I am working on my doctorate in clinical psychology and work with patients on a daily basis in a hospital and outpatient setting in mental health. Granted, the nature of the work is different, as I don't have physical contact with my patients, unlike a physician. My point is work with the general public in a healthcare setting is achievable - skin condition or not.

I have to completely disagree with Promiseland in regards to having an advantage if you were to pursue a dermatological residency. I have worked with many med students and residents (and a few with skin conditions) and it by far, is the most competitive residenty to obtain. The hours are set, (ie no skin emergencies requiring long hours, unlike surgery residencies), skin care, combined with cosmetic advances is hugely lucrative, and many in the field enjoy the "visible" aspect of the medical care. No one I have ever spoken to, skin condition or not, was given an "advantage" for any of it and they were all at the top of their classes and had equally high board scores. At the end of the day, some networking connections and academic performance are what get you where you want to be.

Obviously, this is anecdotal evidence, not quantitative, but it's something to keep in mind. So keep up the good grades and get used to studying quite hard. =) Good luck!

#20988 - 05/06/08 05:43 PM Re: Can it be true ?
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

I did not say residency. I meant entry into medical school. I believe that, if all variables being equal, she would have an advantage if she proclaims interest in pursuing dermatology and can trace that to her own condition. I believe this may also apply to undergraduate admission to a medicine related field, such as biology.

If I were on an admission review board, I would not ignore the link. Now, if her grades were bad, that is a different story. But if her grades were as good as her competitors, I say she has an advantage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information