Hey Guys,
Well, being a teenager can really stink whether you have ichtyosis(or any disorder or dissability) or not. I am currently 16, and I have noticed with friends and aquaintences that they try and hide it. They rarely leave the house, they never do anything fun. They never put themselves out there. No activities with friends such as going out to a movie or to a dance club, going snowboarding or skiing, go to sleepovers, all because they are afraid of what everyone else will think. And this is my word of advice.... Why hide? Why not just forget about everybody else and think about yourself for a change? Why not go out and have a wonderful time checking out people of the opposite gender, dancing, watching a great movie, have a sleepover and have pillowfights? What is the point of hiding. Speeking from experience, I was stared at more while trying to hide it then when I was open and spontanious. In the summer when it was extremely hot, I was always wearing sweaters, sweatshirts and long pants to try and hide my skin disorder while everybody else was wearing t-shirts, tank-tops, spaghetti shirts, shorts and skirts. In this case, who was the outcast? Me! Why, you may ask? Because I was different then everybody else. The extreme covering of myself made it more obvious that I was trying to hide something. It gave people a reason to look. So what if you have a skin disorder? Who cares. If they care, then that is their problem, not yours! They are not worth your time. I have so many friends, and I made all of them with being myself. I gave them a chance to see the inside of me. A chance to make a friend who may be different from them, but the same in many ways. I am a teenager, just like them. I have eyes, a nose and a mouth just like them. I like to have a good time, just like them. If I am so much like them, then why should I hide what is different. I am sure that they have something different from their friends. Isn't that the same? Well, I am going to sign out. I hope that I have helpt...
Luv Always,
~Rachelle~