Topic Options
#20480 - 05/06/08 11:36 PM It's kinda wierd but it works for me
feathaaaaaa Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB Canada
Well, after a couple of years of looking to this site for advice, I've finally brought myself to submit a post. I'm 33 and have had ich since I was born, and like so many of you, have suffered and shared every step of the way. When I first came on this site, I found an unusual remedy to keep the build up of hard skin in my joints at bay. I've been doing it for a few years now and really wanted to share it again with the newer visitors to the site.
Here goes!! Start by heading to your local hardware store!! LOL yup, it's true!!! You'll need to buy some 180 grade sand paper. Don't stop reading, I swear this is not a joke!! Tear it into usable sizes, and even pick up a small sanding block if you like, I did. Then have a really long, hot shower. You know, till your skin is really soft and wants to rub off. When you get out, just pat yourself nearly dry. jump back into the tub and start sanding all your built up skin away!! It leaves quite a mess, but it's easy in the tub to just wash it away. Then rinse off again, and apply all your lotions (I use vaseline)as you normally would.
I know this seems a bit wierd but it really works for me and I wanted to share. I've been actively involved in dancing since I was 3 and even toured for 7 years with a broadway show. If it wasn't for this pseudo remedy, I would have found it even harder to do all I had to do each day!! I no longer feel ambarassed to wear tank tops or shorts in the summer, or even head to the beach!!!
I hope it helps some of you aswell :-)

#20481 - 05/07/08 02:20 AM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Yup, we do that on hands and feet. We use the 100/180 grit emery boards from the beauty supply place. We also us a Dremel hand sander.

You're not that weird!!
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#20482 - 05/07/08 03:15 PM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me
feathaaaaaa Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB Canada
I like to consider it a little bit of home improvement on my body!! I'll head off to the shower for a bit of drywalling!! LOL.

it really makes hot summers a little easier to take :-)

#20483 - 05/16/08 04:39 AM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me
Martika Offline

Loc: Southern California
I've gotta add. Instead of that I use a combination of Kitchen Sponge(for more sensative areas) and Green Scouring Pad's.. the kind you can cut to size. they last longer, and work dry or wet.

I use them before my bath on my legs and arms to "sand" off all the dry skin it can get, then during/after my bath I use it esp. on my knees, elbows, and underarms..etc.

BTW, I should've mentioned.. I've got EHK, and so does my mom. she's the one who introduced me to this. For lotion we just use regular Vaseline.. Or I like to use Shea Butter or Bath and body works "lay it on thick" mixed with a little thinner lotion.. IT works GREAT and I"m gonna use it on my baby after he's born

#20484 - 07/20/08 05:36 PM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me
zmike1981z Offline

Loc: tallahassee, florida, united s...
If i did that my skin would start to bleed. I am not an extreme case. I was worse when i was younger. I stopped using vasoline because it made me fry in the sun. it lasted a long time but i burnt way to much. I use Sauve. its cheap and it works well. Some of the types with smells and stuff I cant use. I use the aloe one for my face and the regular ones for my body. I tried luberaderm which sucked. a bunch of others but this one works.

#23949 - 03/10/09 12:29 AM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me [Re: zmike1981z]
christie Offline

Loc: St. Charles, MI
I will add to this also...I have Lamellar I use a body stone from the health and beauty department at meijer. I dont' start scrubbing until after I've been in the HOT shower for a while and my skin is really soft. Will have to try the other products see if they work just as well for me. As far as lotions I use Suave (oatmeal) also, its the cheapest and keeps me lubbed up thats what I need.

#25769 - 01/20/10 08:54 PM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me [Re: christie]
uNappreciated Offline

Loc: FL,UnitedStates
I HAVENT TRIED THIS BUT IS WONDERING DOES YOUR SKIN HURT WHEN DOING THIS(I'M ASKING CAUSE WHEN I USED TO PEEL MY SKIN, IT USED TO BURN), DO ANYONE HAVE ANY BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES TO SHOW, I WANT TO TRY THIS BUT AM AFRAID OF THE FEELING

#25784 - 01/22/10 12:56 PM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me [Re: uNappreciated]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I use 400 grit sandpaper to remove the hair on my legs because it works better than shaving. It softens out the rough patches and just makes my skin feel better.
The trick is to remember to go in a circular motion or you might end up with ingrown hairs. It doesn't hurt or burn and it doesn't take off more than a superficial layer of skin.

#26072 - 03/25/10 11:26 PM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me [Re: Glori]
Martika Offline

Loc: Southern California
Real quick, when I scrub the way I mentioned before, it is a bit uncomfortable but I too go in a circular motion sometimes but I also go left/right up/down. Personally I dont get ingrown hairs from doing this.

Unappreciated~ The reason it hurts when you peel the skin is because your doing more damage than good that way. Your most likely causing little cuts each time you tear it. let me see if I can find any good before/after pics because I never let ppl take pics of me unless my skin looks decent. If I can't find a before of mysefl I'll try to find a comparative pic of someone who is about the same as I am "before". srry it's taken so long to post I rarely visit the boards anymore

#26308 - 05/01/10 04:32 PM Re: It's kinda wierd but it works for me [Re: Martika]
92jd016 Offline

Loc: rocky mnt. west
a friend of mine told me that when he was a child they experimented with the stuff that they stick medical machine monitors to the skin with and when they peeled off the contacts his skin was perfect underneath. you would have to check with a doctor to find out what it is and then experiment on yourself to see if it works or even if it is the same stuff, this was about thirty years ago when he used this stuff, the formula may have changed over the years. he now uses a rather obscure dry skin cream, and claims it is the only thing he has used that works. i don't want to advertise for them, but drop me a line and i'll tell you their web page address.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information