Topic Options
#20435 - 06/25/06 04:36 PM neem?
Evan's Mommy Offline

Loc: Portland, ME 04106
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with topical neem oil treatments?

Thanks.
Kimberly

#20436 - 06/25/06 10:58 PM Re: neem?
gryphon Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Neem is used often as an anti-bacterial in India where my father was born. I'm curious and will check with him if he knows of any 'skin-benefits' to neem oil or neem leaf extract. The neem family of trees is commonly used for its medecinal benefits in tradtional/Aryuvedic medecine in India. I know it's used in teeth care, probably for its anti-bacterial properties.

Anyway I post again later.

#20437 - 07/28/06 10:40 PM Re: neem?
Nichiro Offline

Loc: Detroit
Hi,

Neem aka Magosa Indica has anti bacterial property. It is a good skin tonic and does not burn/sensetise the skin on topical application.
A paste of Neem oil and Turmeric IMHO may prove good in ICH.

More info is available on following URL.
http://www.infinityfoundation.com/mandala/t_es/t_es_agraw_neem.htm

Nichiro

#20438 - 07/29/06 01:46 AM Re: neem?
gryphon Offline

I forgot to come back to this thread.

Funny you mentioned that paste, Nichiro. My father mentioned that the same formula of turmeric and crushed neem leaves was used traditionally for eczema, except in his version the paste also had cattle urine mixed in probably for the urea. Don't think that particular formula will go over well in modern society.

As for Kimberly's question about topical neem oil products what I've found is that, in skin care, water from boiled neem leaves (which contains the essential oils) is used for many skin conditions including eczema, pimples, rashes, psoriasis, burns, fresh cuts as an anti-bacterial and to loosen and remove dandruff scales. So its properties could very likely be helpful with ich. Neem is an ingredient of considerable renown in traditional Indian medicine and is used now in many commercial products.

I've never used it though and I am also interested whether anyone has any *personal* experience using neem as an ingredient in ich care.

#20439 - 07/29/06 01:57 AM Re: neem?
Evan's Mommy Offline

Hi all,

After a month plus of testing neem on Evan's left side, we determined that it did not make a huge difference. We were using a lotion with neem extracts and a bit of neem oil on his bod and a salve with neem oil on his foot and hand. It did not have any negative effect. I would use the salve again in the future for a break from aquaphor. Our babe, one year old Evan has palmar plantar EHK.

The aroma of neem is defintely distinctive. If Evan was school-aged I would not apply it before school. Feel free to e-mail me privately if you would like the name of the on-line company where I ordered the products (kimmayone@juno.com)

We are currently testing a natural neem soap and similarly, it doesn't seem to have a negative or positive effect.

Neem is supposedly anti-itch, anti-fungal and anti-imflammatory (spelling?). I will definitely try neem products again when Evan is old enough to talk. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Best Wishes.
Kimberly

#20440 - 08/01/06 02:13 AM Re: neem?
gryphon Offline

Wow, if your salve is replacing Aquaphor without any regression in skin quality then I'm impressed. I'd really like to know the other moisturizing ingredients in the product other than neem or are you using strictly a neem oil/extract lotion?

I just might email you in a few months to get the name of the product. Right now I'm about to try a new lotion (Dormer 211) and a new body wash (Dr. Bronner's). Got to give them a few months to try one after the other.

#20441 - 08/01/06 05:31 PM Re: neem?
Evan's Mommy Offline

Next time I am on-line, I will send slong the ingredients in the salve. It is not 100% neem. The lotion bottle has been tossed, but I can refer you to the company. I was pleased with their product and quick service. Please let us know how your new skin care products work.

Have a lovely day.
Kimberly

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information