Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20412 - 01/20/06 01:23 AM what shampoo works best?
wva Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI, USA
I'm curious if anyone uses extra strength Denorex shampoo with 3% salicilic acid? I'm trying it out now and I think it works better than head and shoulders and the sulfur shampoos I have tried. I used other tar shampoos in the past and nothing works great. But, the Denorex at least makes my scalp feel like it might be working a little. I need something stronger for the dry scalp but, it does seem to help my scalp to itch a little less and I get a kind of bengay feeling on my hairline (the hot and cold medicated feeling). I don't know if this is good or bad. Anyone else use this stuff or have a better suggestion? Thanks and God bless!

#20413 - 06/02/06 09:56 AM Re: what shampoo works best?
Peachfuzz Offline

Loc: Buckinghamshire, UK
My Mum always used to wash my hair in Vosene medicated shampoo which I have just started using again after years of trying loads of other shampoos and it seems to be working really well for me again!

#20414 - 06/03/06 02:05 PM Re: what shampoo works best?
wva Offline

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind. Currently I am trying the P & S Liquid scalp treatment (it has mineral oil and glycerin in it)overnight and washing with the P & S shampoo. It seems to be helping more than the other over the counter shampoos and it is pricey but worth it if it keeps helping. The scalp treatment to soak loose the flakes is very hard to get out of my hair, leaving my hair looking greasy even after 3 shampoos. But, I'm still trying it. Have you ever used the P & S shampoo and how does it compair to the Vosene medicated shampoo? Thanks for the suggestion and I will have to keep it in mind. God bless! [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#20415 - 06/14/06 01:11 PM Re: what shampoo works best?
Peachfuzz Offline

I have never used P&S treatment or shampoo, however I have also just remembered that my Nan always used to use a Coal Tar shampoo called T-Gel, which worked wonders when I stayed with her as a child when my ichthyosis was rather bad (please see this site for detailed info on precautions etc before you think about trying it out: www.medicinenet.com/coal_tar_shampoo-topical/article.htm ).
When I was in my teens I also found a natural shampoo bar which contained coal tar and used that for a while which seemed to help, unfortunately the company that made it shut down and I haven't tried any others containing coal tar since.

I also remember my Nan using a coal tar soap, so all of a sudden I am wondering whether she had bad skin and the gene was passed down through her, although unfortunately I have no way of finding out as she died many years ago - however I have noticed in many articles I have read that they believe from tests they have carried out over the years that ichthyosis can be found predominantly in people with a mediterranean background, and my Great Grandmother (my Nan's mother) was Italian - interesting!

#20416 - 06/15/06 09:56 PM Re: what shampoo works best?
wva Offline

Thanks for the suggestion on coal tar shampoo. I'll do a little research and see if I can find any. As far as the Mediterranean background goes that definately would not be me. I am mostly part Irish, a little Dutch, and very little Native American. My family has blonde hair, fair skin, and either blue or green eyes (for me green).

#20417 - 06/16/06 08:06 AM Re: what shampoo works best?
Peachfuzz Offline

Funny - my mum is of Irish descent, she has very pale skin, green eyes and her hair used to be ginger (before it went grey)- although we don't know which side of the family the gene was passed down from as no-one else seems to have any symptoms, it's quite strange that we have that Irish connection also.

#23578 - 01/02/09 01:54 PM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: Peachfuzz]
Ted Offline

I tried a lot of different shampoos in the past, some seemed to work only for a while. After buy over 15 to 20 different shampoos I found that Garnia Frutise "Sleek and Shine" works best for me. I use to have like dandruff, but with this shampoo I feel it's the best one I've tried. I didn't like the smell of the coal tar shampoo, I think I used it when I was younger, but I don't think I ever really used it. Well Good luck.

#23615 - 01/06/09 09:10 PM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: Ted]
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
We're in the process of using t-gel on our 23 month old. We use it twice a week and then comb her hair through immediately after rinsing with a fine tooth comb then condition with johnson's baby conditioner. Seems to be doing the trick so far!!

#23649 - 01/09/09 11:55 PM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: BritMum]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
At what age can you start using T-gel on a baby/child? I've heard so many good things about it smile

#23706 - 01/17/09 01:21 AM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: brandynsmum]
libby Offline

Loc: USA
My 13 yr old daughter is using Carmol shampoo. It is pricey $30 for a bottle, but it does seem to work.

Good luck to you! The scalp is so hard to manage.

#24019 - 03/19/09 04:53 PM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: libby]
Madisyn'sMommy Offline

Loc: Helena, Montana
My daughter (2.5 years)has Lamellar we have tried every dandruff shampoo we can find. They never really seemed to make a difference so I have started to use Biolage hydrating shampoo which is what I use, and Biolage deep moisture conditioning balm. This works the best for her. She likes the fact that it doesn't smell yucky.

#24036 - 03/21/09 08:21 PM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: libby]
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
I've managed to find a t-gel shampoo that is good for daily use! It's the one for dry hair and it's not the dark colour that the regular one is, it's kind of a light yellowy colour! At present I'm not scraping our daughter's scalp at bathtime as she's having a phase of having none of it! So I'm just using this daily and so far there doesn't seem to be too much of a biuld up like I used to get when she wouldn't let me near!!

#24078 - 03/30/09 05:41 PM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: BritMum]
yr Offline

Loc: Ireland
We've recently started using La-Roche Posay products. They are quite expensive, but they do a shampoo called Kerium which is gritty and it helps exfoliate the scalp. It does'nt clear it all although it might if used on a daily basis. The flakes just lift off with a gentle comb through.

Yvonne.

#25182 - 09/23/09 02:50 AM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: wva]
jalex98 Offline

I used a tea tree oil shampoo from Nature's Gate for many years. It worked well, but my hair wasn't very shiny.

Then I decided to try adding a few drops of tea tree oil to cheap shampoo. It works great. I mix it in a small plastic bottle (think travel size). I put a few ounces of shampoo, about 1/2 once of water and 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and shake it up. Works great, is inexpensive. Just don't get it in your eyes.

#26635 - 07/19/10 11:27 AM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: libby]
Luckymum Offline

Morgan - wes started using T-Gel on my eldest when she was 1 year old, it was ok, but we have since found a different shampoo, I will stater the name next time I am on which smells nicer and so far is good. But I am continuing to try different things. My maternal health nurse suggested a goats milk based shampoo, but I have to see where I can get it,

#26695 - 07/28/10 03:59 AM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: Luckymum]
Luckymum Offline

We are currently trying goats milk soap shampoo (in Australia) - available at Chemist warehouse - its good so far

#26724 - 08/03/10 03:26 AM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: Luckymum]
TiffanyJ Offline

Loc: Jackson, MS
We use goat milk soap and it is wonderful.
Jackson 5/3/07 Lamellar and collodian

#28856 - 03/13/13 03:54 AM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: wva]
momdoc284 Offline

Oddly enough my husband bought a mans dandruff shampoo blue bottle major US brand but I can't remember which brand... He did not like it for his "normal" scalp but it is fantastic for loosening scales for daughter and I. Use it then comb with a lice comb to gently scrap scales. Lice comb helps because it is so fine and can pull flakes off and out of her hair. Comb in bath or ASAP. It also smells great although masculine.

#28939 - 05/31/13 02:13 PM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: wva]
Alfred12 Offline

Using the correct one which suits your hair texture and scalp should,I personally prefer the one which is like babies shampoo lol i know sounds funny but honestly that is because that contain a less amount of chemical doesn't hurt hair much.

#28945 - 06/13/13 01:39 AM Re: what shampoo works best? [Re: yr]
luv2teech Offline

Loc: Maple, ON, Canada
What is the exact name of the Kerium shampoo you've been using? Thanks!
Marcie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information