Topic Options
#20238 - 02/17/04 09:08 AM Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
Funky McDumpster Offline

Loc: Bay area, CA, USA
I'm experimenting with clarified butter (Ghee) on my left leg, and Amlactin on my right. So far the ghee seems to be holding it own with the amlactin, as far as looking the same, one week into it.
As in, cocoa butter is cheap, but it gets absorbed quickly, and XLI skin looks dry again about two hours later. The ghee out performs cocoa butter, if you don't mind smelling like toast.
My theory is that ghee has high cholesterol and the extra unsulphated cholesterol will seep into the my skin, and help prevent scaling. I found Ghee has the highest cholesterol concentration, as far as supermarket products go, after an exaustive three minute search on the internet.
Probably the best result is a combination of the two. A hydroxy lotion to take off the first layer, and the clarified butter as an upkeep.
I'll let you know how my results turn out.

Ghee is used in Indian food, and the FoodMaxx here has a indian food section, with mason jars filled with ghee for about $5.50

#20239 - 02/19/04 05:55 PM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Thanks for passing on the info. I will have to check it out. I am becoming more and more convinced that the more natural products (non-petroleum, etc) stuff is far better for us and our bodies as a whole. I'd love to hear about anything else you've tried that works.

#20240 - 08/14/05 04:27 PM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
pbchhaya Offline

Loc: kolkata,west bengal, india
Great & good to know. I will share one more is that, take glyserin & water 50- 50 mix well & apply . Shows good result on my children.

#20241 - 08/17/05 04:39 AM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
Nichiro Offline

Loc: Detroit
Just today, I suggested to a friend about using Ghee(Clearified butter).
This is because, it is of animal origin and agrees very well with humans when applied externally.
It has great soothing power and is a non toxic , non irritant and non allergic material.
Another suggestion, if you like.
Use CHICKPEA flour in place of soap. In Hindi it is known as BESAN. you can get from any Indian/Pakistani grocer.
Please try it out and let me know.

#20242 - 09/08/05 11:19 PM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
LauraAnn Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Okay, Nichiro, this sounds really interesting, the chickpea flour for cleansing? I want to know, how well does it cleanse? My son has rxli ichth, and on top of it is allergic to soaps, fragrances, etc. I have yet to find a "cleanser" except Cetaphil that does not irritate his skin, even plain glycerine soap....we use it anyway (I melt it and add apricot kernal oil and oatmeal and sea salt and make my own bars) because something has to get the ground in dirt off of a 6 year old boy....it still irritates a bit, then we just treat all of his eczema patches right away, but I have wondered, is there anything that will cleanse him well, not dry him out, and not irritate his skin? I would love to know more about chickpea flour or whatever, I live in Chicago IL USA, and it is extremely easy to walk to many ethnic food stores.
Thanks.
LauraAnn

#20243 - 09/09/05 03:58 AM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
Nichiro Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LauraAnn:
[B]Okay, Nichiro, this sounds really interesting, the chickpea flour for cleansing? I want to know, how well does it cleanse?

LauraAnn,
Chickpea flour has neutral pH. It does not irritate the skin. For cleansing, make a homogenous batter of chickpea flour mixed with water. It should be like thick glue consistency. First wash the area with plain water. Then slowly rub over with CP flour batter. The dirt, old scales etc soften up immediately and after a little massage with batter, wash with lukewarm water.
Wipe the area with towel.
Once you are done, you may heat up a little Ghee till it becomes liquid. Just warming it up will do. In place of body creams that you are using now, apply Ghee. You will find that over a period, your child will feel very happy and the result will astound you.

Some people use Chickpea flour with mild yogurt or Cream as a cleanser and skin softner.
Do report back with results.

#20244 - 09/09/05 06:25 AM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi all,
I also use chickpea (gram / besan) flour for my daughter. For a face pack I mix a couple of teaspoons of flour, a pinch turmeric (anti-inflammatory and great for healing), yoghurt or milk and a little honey for a face pack. Apply on the face and any other affected areas (Aiesha's legs scale a lot so I also use it there) and then wait for it to harden for about 10 minutes. Then, wet the skin and rub gently to wash off. It really does work a treat. Variations of this mixture have been used by generations of Indians and is still used in pre wedding ceremonies today to brighten the skin of the bride and groom.

I've also used ghee in the past and it is good but smells rather awful but I may try it again just at night time.

I'll be very interested to know how other people get on with the chickpea packs.

Best regards to all,

Sonia

#20245 - 09/09/05 07:43 AM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
Nichiro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sonia:
It really does work a treat. Variations of this mixture have been used by generations of Indians and is still used in pre wedding ceremonies today to brighten the skin of the bride and groom.

Sonia[/B]

Thanx Sonia for your feedback.
A correction.
What Indians use as Pre Nuptials ceremony to rub over Bride and the Groom is call UBTAN in Hindi and it is not only Chickpea flour but it also has Turmeric,Sandlewood paste and fenugreek etc.
Anyone interested to learn the formula, may visit following link.
http://www.sanatansociety.org/ayurvedic_massage/ubtan_indian_beauty_massage.htm

Nichiro

Please read it as Chickpea flour and not Chickpea flower..Writer's and Printer's Devil....LOL

[This message has been edited by Nichiro (edited September 09, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Nichiro (edited September 09, 2005).]

#20246 - 09/09/05 03:03 PM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Oops!
I should know really as I am Indian and had it in my own wedding ceremony!

#20247 - 09/09/05 03:18 PM Re: Ghee vs Amlactin, battle royale
LauraAnn Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Okay, so, does the ghee contain stearic acid, and if so, would this work as an alpha-hydroxy? As in, would it also help reduce scaling as well as moisturizing? AND, will it soak in well, or is it greasy? We've had our fill of greasy ointments sitting on top of skin.....If it soaks in right away, I'm willing to try it. I have a lotion now that I'm very pleased with. Also, is there a kid safe essential oil you could add to the ghee so my boy doesn't smell like butter? I don't want him smelling like lavender all day (too girly), peppermint is not safe for kids, I though of tea tree oil, but it's so strong and medicinal scented.......I think I remember reading rosemary essential oil is not safe for kids either. Any thoughts?
Thanks, very interesting alternatives, you all! Thanks for sharing! It's so hard to find something for my son, peanut, nut allergies, along with soap/detergent allergies. Narrows the possiblities of cleansers and lotions!!

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information