Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20226 - 03/20/03 05:46 PM Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I saw this on a hospital website and thought it relevant to all of us.

Increase Good Fats for Winter

If harsh winter weather leaves you suffering from chapped lips, brittle hair and nails or flaky skin, increase the amount of "good" fats in your diet.

The good fats are omega-3 fatty acids, which are an important part of human nutrition. Many
studies show that they reduce the risk of coronary
heart disease and stroke, auto-immune disorders, certain types of cancers, and rheumatoid arthritis. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish and omega-6 and omega-9 are found in soybeans, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseed and primrose oil.

#20227 - 03/22/03 04:18 PM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
Angel Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Chandra!
I am so glad that you posted this. I have been curious about this. I was at the health food store recently and picked up a pamphlet that discussed the benefits of including these fatty acids in your diet. There was a whole list of medical conditions that could benefit from this, including excema and other skin conditions. Ichthyosis wasn't specifically mentioned, but I believe that it could help. It definitely caught my attention, but I have to discuss it with our family doctor, as it would be for my daughter. Our health food store has a liquid supplement (juice) for children. If anyone has increased their daily amount of Omega fatty acids and has seen results, please let me know.

Thanks,

Angel

#20228 - 06/25/03 07:12 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
Luciana Offline

Loc: Neuchâtel, Switzerland
Hi Chandra, hi Angel,

As I wrote in the topic of "SILICA", I take GOOD FATS, and I think it helps my skin but I heard they help in many other fields as you explained Chandra.
I changed cream, started with silica and these fats more or less at the same periode, so I can't say wich one works better.
Sometimes I take one soup spoon of linseed (flaxseed?) oil in the morning too.
I'm sorry not being able to answer more precisely than that.
Bye bye
Luciana

#20229 - 06/27/03 01:23 PM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
wolibear Offline

Hi [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
I started taking Vitamins years ago when I started to watch a Naturopathic Doctor by the name of Dr. Cherry. He comes on
Trinity Broadcasting Network (www.tbn.org).
I have had severe eczema since I was a baby and nothing has really helped. It just would seem to come out where it wanted too and stay
there forever, creams from the Doctor didnt help at all either.
I couldnt use anything on my skin, even soap would hurt it and my Mother was forever creaming me up and putting bandages on my wounds.
When I started to watch this Doctor, he would give dosages to take for each vitamin and described the benefits of each vitamin.
So,my Mom wanted to try them on me and started to give me,Omega 3 fish oil, Zinc,Vitamin C,Vitamin E and Beta Carotene.
I noticed a improvement in my skin right away and my skin slowly started to heal and get better.
My Eczema seems to go into a dormant state, as my Doctor puts it when taking my vitamins. I also noticed that with the Omega 3 Fish oil, my migraines stay away and I dont seem to get pms.
The next thing ill try is flaxseed,ive
read other peoples posts on it. Dr. Cherry's
wife,his co-host, makes bread with it and uses it in place of flour for all her cooking. With all the benefits its supposed to have, cant hurt trying I guess [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Well, I know I dont have Ichthyosis but your board has been so helpful to me with Eczema and my boyfriend who has Ehk. I originally started to come on here to support him and learn whatever I could to help him.
Thank you all for the information you are giving and for this board and I hope any information ive given can be useful to someone!

God bless(:

[This message has been edited by wolibear (edited June 27, 2003).]

#20230 - 03/14/05 09:22 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
invisible Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wolibear:
Hi [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
I started taking Vitamins years ago when I started to watch a Naturopathic Doctor by the name of Dr. Cherry. He comes on
Trinity Broadcasting Network (www.tbn.org).
I have had severe eczema since I was a baby and nothing has really helped. It just would seem to come out where it wanted too and stay
there forever, creams from the Doctor didnt help at all either.
I couldnt use anything on my skin, even soap would hurt it and my Mother was forever creaming me up and putting bandages on my wounds.
When I started to watch this Doctor, he would give dosages to take for each vitamin and described the benefits of each vitamin.
So,my Mom wanted to try them on me and started to give me,Omega 3 fish oil, Zinc,Vitamin C,Vitamin E and Beta Carotene.
I noticed a improvement in my skin right away and my skin slowly started to heal and get better.
My Eczema seems to go into a dormant state, as my Doctor puts it when taking my vitamins. I also noticed that with the Omega 3 Fish oil, my migraines stay away and I dont seem to get pms.
The next thing ill try is flaxseed,ive
read other peoples posts on it. Dr. Cherry's
wife,his co-host, makes bread with it and uses it in place of flour for all her cooking. With all the benefits its supposed to have, cant hurt trying I guess [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Well, I know I dont have Ichthyosis but your board has been so helpful to me with Eczema and my boyfriend who has Ehk. I originally started to come on here to support him and learn whatever I could to help him.
Thank you all for the information you are giving and for this board and I hope any information ive given can be useful to someone!

God bless(:

Could someone tell which omega 3 capsules and how much i hv to take for my itchyosis?
In our place two types are available
1) With EPA :10 and DHA :40
2) With EPA :30 and DHA :20

Which one is good for me?

[This message has been edited by wolibear (edited June 27, 2003).]

#20231 - 07/02/05 05:29 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Chandra, long time no chat...Hope you are well...

Hi guys,...

Just wanted to share my thoughts on Omega 3 Fatty Oils...I have been taking 2 Evening Primrose Oil Capsules and 6 Omega 3 capsules per day, for about 2 years or so now...I really noticed that my skin was quite smooth and pink...

I recently stopped taking the Omega 3's and just took Codliver Oil capsules instead, as a pharmacist told me it was pointless taking both...so I chose the cheaper option...But I soon went back to Omegas as my skin was very very dry, and rough...skin flakes were very risen up and sharp...

What an amazing difference the Omegas make...truly amazing...the oils seem to put moisture back in, and save my needing to put cream on during the day, in winter time...We are in the middle of winter right now in Australia, so I increased them from 4 to 6 per day during this time...

Note...they are also excellent for keeping one regular too...reduces constipation effects if one is on constant antibiotics...
I have also been told by my GP that they are also supposed to help with depression and mood disorders...

Pauline.

[This message has been edited by pauline5 (edited July 02, 2005).]

#20232 - 07/02/05 05:37 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Sorry Invisible:

I just noticed your last querie...

I don't know if you go by milligrams in USA...as I am in Australia...but here is what is written on my bottle...

Omega 3 Marine Fish Oil...1000mg (1 gram) Omega 3 fish oil
EPA = 180mg
DHA = 120mg
Vitamin D3 = not more than 25 IU
Retinol Vit A = not more than 750 IU

contains no added sugar, starch, gluten, yeast , preservatives, or dairy products...

Hope this helps guide you...
Sorry I don't quite understand which is the better higher proportion to have...DHA or EPA

Pauline.

#20233 - 06/11/06 03:18 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
hlc032906 Offline

Loc: chattanooga tn unitedstates
hi so do children with li sappose to have a special diet. my daughter is only two mounths old .but is she gonna have to a special diet when she starts to eat table food and baby food.should i already be giveing her water and juice.someone please let me know.thankyou.

------------------
shila popham

#20234 - 06/14/06 12:58 PM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair
Peachfuzz Offline

Loc: Buckinghamshire, UK
I have been consulting with a friend of mine who is an alternative therapy practitioner and uses many traditional chinese medicines in his work, he also advises on dietary issues.

I asked him about my ichtyhosis a couple of years ago and have consulted him again recently about eczema that has appeared on my feet - he suggested taking Omega 3 supplements every day all year round to "treat the problem from within" as well as using emu oil (which also contains the omega 3 fats)from the outside, so you are treating the source of the problem from both sides at the same time.

As far as strengths go I have been told the higher the strength of Omega 3 oils the better!

I have also found out that you can get Emu Oil capsules as a supplement (for about UK£14 for 90 capsules - which is about US$25) which I am sending off for to try as I am very impressed with the emu oil I have been using on my feet and I would like to try the same product internally too.

I will let you all know how my trial goes!

#26203 - 04/15/10 03:07 PM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair [Re: pauline5]
deepak Offline

Hi Pauline

Thanks for sharing the info !

I tried OMEGA 3 (Fish oil) too and it worked fine as far as skin is concerned. However I noticed side effects like Brain Fog,Disturbed Sleep etc. I was taking the same in capsule form after dinner with normal water (i.e. not with warm water)
Primrose oil made me very very hungry and also caused mouth ulcers.

Can you please let us know how and when did you take the capsules ? i.e. After food or before food ? Which specific brand did you tried ?

thanks
Deepak

Edited by deepak (04/15/10 03:10 PM)

#26568 - 06/29/10 05:31 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair [Re: deepak]
Geraldo2222 Offline

hello everyone,
my IV gets quite bad during the winter time and I normally take 1 capsule of fish oil a day but it doesn't work.
How many capsules do you recommend? I am concerned about the side effects.

Thanks

#26614 - 07/13/10 08:20 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair [Re: Geraldo2222]
deepak Offline

Try to take Evening Primrose oil Or Borage Oil after dinner.
Even Flax Oil would work (after dinner).

Try to take the oil (you can break the capsule and put the oil in spoon) after dinner. Do not drink water immediately after taking this.

#26723 - 08/03/10 03:23 AM Re: Good fats in winter for the skin, nails, hair [Re: deepak]
TiffanyJ Offline

Loc: Jackson, MS
I give the kids ground flax seeds in a smoothie every day it really helps.
Jackson 5/3/07 Lamellar and collodian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information