Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20171 - 02/22/02 02:25 PM diet
Pat Offline

Loc: Zurich,Switzerland
I am 34 years old and have been suffering from x-ichthyosis from the day I was born.

During my child-hood the skin-disorder was very severe. Other people could clearly see that my skin was far from normal. When the itching got really bad, my mom usually put me in a sea-salt/oil-bath mix for 40 minutes every week so that the scales could be rubbed off with a terra-cotta stone. After each bath or shower I applied thick layers of moisterizing cream and lotion.

I have tried several treatments to reduce the ichthyosis such as UV-treatment, reflex zone therapy of the feet, sea-salt baths, different oils and creams. Nothing of these really helped much.

At the age of 16, I followed a diet-plan by an Austrian homeopathist. Following his diet, I had to avoid sweet, heavily spiced (chili,pepper,mustard) salted or acid (vinegar,lemon) food as well as meat, drinks containing coffein. Pulses such as lentils and beans had to be avoided as well as fatty food. In addition, I was given a recipe of a herbal tea mix (I have to look for the receipe) of which I had to drink 1 1/2 liter per day at the minimum.

I followed this diet 7 months (till I was fed up) and my skin got better and better. In fact, I had never had a smoother skin before. The scales were nearly fully gone. To my surprise, after stopping the diet and going back to a more ordinary way of eating, my skin remained smoother and did not develop as much scaling as before. Nowadays, anyone not knowing it wouldn't notice my ichthyosis anymore.

Anyone has made experience with another or a similar diet?

#20172 - 02/23/02 05:10 PM Re: diet
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Pat,

I do not have any experience with a diet/homeopathic remedy such as the one you used. However, I'd be very interested in hearing more.

If you come across any more details (about the doctor, the tea, etc) in your records, I'd love to hear about it. Homeopathic remedies haven't been nearly as popular in the US as they have been in Europe. I think we're a bit behind the times in that area.

Laura

#20173 - 02/24/02 02:41 AM Re: diet
Danusia Offline

Loc: canada
I, personally, have never heard of diet making any difference with a skin condition of any kind. However, I have found that my skin has changed a lot over the years ( I have vulgaris). When I was in my 20s and early 30s it was at its best, so much so that it seemed nearly normal. Could it be that your skin just naturally got better through these years?

#20174 - 02/24/02 11:00 AM Re: diet
Sofie Offline

Loc: Switzerland / USA
Hi Pat

Very interesting to hear about your diet. I think I have heard similar things before though concerning psoriasis. However, I am glad to hear that your condition got so much better even after you have stopped your diet. As Laura said, it would be interesting to get more information.

I noticed that you are from Switzerland - I am as well. It would be interesting for me to hear from you about doctors and experiences you had with them.

Best wishes, Sofie

#20175 - 02/26/02 05:27 PM Re: diet
Pat Offline

Hi again,

The diet and herbal tea recipe I mentioned in the above message was written by the Austrian Maria Treben and can be found in the book
"Health through God's Pharmacy" published in various Countries and languages. I myself have the German version but I don't really know the English words for most of the herbs in order to publish it here on the board.

It is true, Sofie, that originally, this diet was intended for people suffering from Psoriasis. However, this treatment helped me and it could as well help others with Ichthyosis.

Danusia, my skin got much better during the seven months of the diet and only lightly deteriorated ever since. Winters and cold weather make it worse, summers and the sun better. Most probably I will do the diet again in near futur to see if it still makes a difference.

The food that should be avoided:

Pork meat, vinegar, cider, lemon, oranges, grapefruits, most berries and their juices, raw apples, coffee, chocolate, cacao, honey from the bee, processed and smoked fish, tinned and processed meat, pulses, alcoholic beverages of any kind.

Patrick

#20176 - 02/28/02 12:19 PM Re: diet
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Patrick,
I read your post with great interest. My daughter Aiesha has had homeopathic treatment (liver detox and cleanser) but I don't think that its really had any effect. Also, she doesn't eat (or has never eaten) any of the foods you list so I don't thinks she's affected much but diet. However, it now seems that the main factor for her is the weather. If its windy or too hot, her skin will crack but not like it used to and her recovery is also faster.

Best regards,

Sonia

#20177 - 03/01/02 01:53 PM Re: diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Patrick,
I have one simple question for you. I have read both of your posts and taken note of all the foods, fruit, spices etc. that you should not eat. My question is, what can you eat? Or should I say what did you eat? Perhaps you could give us an example of what a diet without all that stuff would consist of? Also, I noticed that alot of fruit was excluded in that diet, can you take vitamins without effecting the diet? hope you can answer this for me, I know I'll never have enough time to read the book you mentioned, thanks.
Keith.

#20178 - 03/02/02 10:14 AM Re: diet
Pat Offline

Hi Keith & Sonia

First of all, I would like to point out that the diet alone might not help reduce the scaling. Both the diet as well as the herbal tea-mix is needed to possibly reduce the ichthyosis.

I ate lots of raw and cooked vegetables, salads with a yoghourt-dressing (no vinegar or lemon), poultry and veal, raw and cooked fish, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread. I tried to avoid as much of the sweet stuff as well as deep-fried food as possible.

In Restaurants, I always asked how the food was prepared and what ingredients used.

You don't have to do this all your life. It might help you already after 3-4 months. People following this treatment could later eat more or less normal again but kept on drinking the tea on a regular basis.

Patrick

#20179 - 03/02/02 05:48 PM Re: diet
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I was wondering the same thing at first - what could you eat [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Thanks for clarifying. From what little I know about homeopathic remedies, I think you're right Pat - taking the tea in addition to the diet changes would be critical to the results (according to the homeopathic model).

It intrigues me very much, and doesn't surprise me that it worked for you.

Speaking of diet changes: I've recently started drinking a lot of water (really, the amount of water that's suggested for everyone). Much to my surprise (and maybe it's just coincidence), my skin has been in great shape.

Regards,
Laura

#20180 - 03/06/02 03:54 AM Re: diet
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Laura,

Like you I have also discovered that water is wonderful for my whole body. I am less dry and peely. It is amazing how much less skin I am shedding around the house, saving me heaps of vaccuming.

Pauline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information