Topic Options
#20075 - 09/16/00 04:51 PM Use of essential oils.
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
After speaking to a few aromatherapists, I have recently started use Lavender essential oil in Aiesha's skin preparations, the idea being that Lavender is very soothing, healing and also reduces inflammation. It is even good for healing burns.

Try putting a couple of drops in your bath water (only do this after the water has run or the steam will evaporate the oil) and swril the water around before you get in. Also, I use natural aloe vera products on Aiesha's skin and I have also added 2 drops to a 50g pot. If you add Lavender (or any essential oil) to your creams or lotions, make sure that they are completely natural and are able to be fully absorbed by the skin or the essential oil will not have any effect as it cannot be carried into the body. Good oils to use would be sweet almond oil or jojoba oil (which I am planning to use on Aiesha). Jojoba is actually a wax rather than an oil and has incredible moisturising properties. Do not use baby oil as it is a synthetic product consisting of mineral oil whose molecules are too big to be absorbed by the skin. At this point I would like to say that if you are pregnant or want to use essential oils on children then please consult an aromatherapist and they will advise you properly and some of them even make up a skin care blend for you. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any success with essential oils.

Best to everyone,

Sonia.

#20076 - 09/17/00 05:40 PM Re: Use of essential oils.
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I use lavender oil in the bath (not as often as I should! it's so stupid of me) and it definitely helps. I definitely notice a difference in my skin after that bath, compared to baths without the lavender.

Also, I use aloe vera quite frequently. It's not the best for me in terms of moisturizing, but it really heals any redness/rawness/cracking.

Do you think Aloe Vera drink would be very helpful for us?

#20077 - 09/18/00 04:18 PM Re: Use of essential oils.
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I used to use aqueous cream but have switched to aloe vera for the following reasons: Aqueous cream moisturises by drawing moisture from the skin and holding it there. It is, therefore, just a moisturiser at the epidermis level and not a very good one at that. However, it is scientifically proven that properly processed therapeutic grade Aloe Vera can generate healthy tissue at the cellular level by up to 8.83 times the norm and also stimulates collagen production deep within the dermis, hence slowing down the aging process. Aloe Vera also has 3 times the penetrative power of water, is a natural humectant, in that it draws moisture from the atmosphere, and possess a cohestion factor which prevents moisture loss from the skin. Aloe is also a natural sunscreen. A study completed at the M.D. Anderson Clinic at the Medical Centre in Houston looked at the presence of ultraviolet exposure on the surface of the skin. They found, when the Aloe gel was applied to the surface of the skin prior to testing, the immune cells were protected, providing full immune function. For this reason, I always use aloe on Aiesha's skin before I put anything else on it.
Whenever you buy an Aloe gel, always read the ingredients listing. If it says 99.9% Aloe Gel on the product description, it don't mean a thing unless it says the same on the ingredients listing. What many companies don't tell you is that the 2% Aloe content in their product is 99.9% pure Aloe. What you want to see is that the primary content in their product is Aloe Vera and that it is over 98% pure. Same goes for cream preparations. If Aloe is not the primary ingredient in the product, don't waste your money.
Now for the drinking kind. Aloe Vera juice is 99.5% water and 0.5% solids. The solids comprise over 200 constituents including all the vitamins (except vitamin D), minerals and trace minerals, especially calcium, magnesium and potassium, enzymes and amino acids. All these are to be found in trace quantities. The most important single constituent is polysaccharides whic account for approximately 25% of the solid content and which are unique to Aloe Vera.
These polysaccharides consist of chains of glucose and mannose molecules, called Glucomannins or polymannoses. They are handled in a very unusual ways by the body in tha they are not broken down by the digestive system and either enter the blood stream by pynocytosis, a method of self-engulfment through the walls of the digestive tract, or bind to the specific receptors in the system to form a protective coating. It is for this reason that best results are achieved if the juice is sipped over a period of time rather than gulped.
If you want to try Aloe Juice, always check that it is aloin free (aloin is contained in the sap of the aloe leaf and is bitter in taste). Aloin is a harsh laxative and so you should verify the quality of the juice if taking when pregnant or giving it to children. Some companies will try to mask the bitter taste of aloin by adding fruit juice to the aloe juice.

#20078 - 09/20/00 05:01 PM Re: Use of essential oils.
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Thanks Sonia!

Now I understand Aloe Vera juice A LOT better than I did before.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information