Topic Options
#20066 - 08/30/00 10:17 PM Juice therapy
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Over the last 8 months I have met a number of complementary health professionals, some prominent figures in the UK and some ordinary run-of-the-mill types. One thing I have found them all to have in common is that they all believe in juicing as part of their therapy. I have been giving my 5-year-old (she has LI) carrot juice which tonifies the liver and a blend of apple, cucumber and celery (which tastes a lot better than it sounds, really!) which is very good for skin problems. Now, for you grown ups, you should aim for at least 1-2 full glasses every day. However, for kids don't go overboard 'cos you don't want to over-detox while the child is still growing. I give Aiesha the juice of one apple (she won't always drink the blends) and maybe 3 ounces of carrot juice a day. Now, I have been doing this for nearly a month and I must say that she is looking extremely good. Her skin is smooth and her face is glowing.
If any of you are going to drink carrot juice it is worth buying organic. This is because carrots are a very "spongy" vegetable and hence soak up nearly everything in the soil in which they are growing i.e. all the harmful stuff as well as the nutrients. Organic farmers tend to prepare their soil by planting carrots to "clean it up" before sowing the organic crops.
I'd be very interested in finding out whether anyone else has had any benefits from juicing.
TTFN,
Sonia.

#20067 - 08/31/00 01:20 AM Re: Juice therapy
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Sonia,

I know most people (me included) don't drink as much water as they should. I know when I approach 8+ glasses of water a day, my skin improves.

If you're one of the many that's not drinking enough water, how much of the benefit from juicing would just be from having more water, vs. the effect of the juice? Maybe it's not even important...if you decide to add more juice to your diet, and that's what gets you drinking more liquids, maybe that's all that's important.

To get the benefits of juice, do you need to drink pure juice, all in one big glassful? I like to add just a little bit of juice to my water, so my water is slightly flavored (maybe 5 to 1, water to juice). Of course, I do this with sweet juices like orange, grapefruit, cranberry. Could I get the benefits of the juices you're talking about if I drank them, diluted with pure water, spread out over 5 glasses of water?

#20068 - 09/01/00 04:50 PM Re: Juice therapy
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
If you're already drinking 8 glasses of water a day then it would be a good idea to replace a couple of those glasses with fresh juice. Juices themselves have a high water content so the help cleanse the body of toxins. As juices are quite potent, you may want to dilute them with pure water (50/50) if you start experiencing stomach upsets. Citrus juices are strong cleansers. If you want detoxifying juices then good fruit choices would be apple, grapefruit, pineapple and melon while vegetables are carrot (I hate eating carrots but love carrot juice!) and celery. Drink the juice as soon as it's made to take full advantage of the nutritional benefits. While taking supplements is fine for vitamins and minerals, juice will provide you with the necessary enzymes for cell function and repair. Remember, the World Health Organisation recommends that we eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. Juicing is a great way to achieve this and all the nutrients are intact because the food is raw.

Quote:
Originally posted by Laura Phillips:
Sonia,

I know most people (me included) don't drink as much water as they should. I know when I approach 8+ glasses of water a day, my skin improves.

If you're one of the many that's not drinking enough water, how much of the benefit from juicing would just be from having more water, vs. the effect of the juice? Maybe it's not even important...if you decide to add more juice to your diet, and that's what gets you drinking more liquids, maybe that's all that's important.

To get the benefits of juice, do you need to drink pure juice, all in one big glassful? I like to add just a little bit of juice to my water, so my water is slightly flavored (maybe 5 to 1, water to juice). Of course, I do this with sweet juices like orange, grapefruit, cranberry. Could I get the benefits of the juices you're talking about if I drank them, diluted with pure water, spread out over 5 glasses of water?

#20069 - 09/05/00 12:54 AM Re: Juice therapy
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Thanks Sonia!

That actually helped clarify a few things for me. I definitely want to start drinking BOTH more water and more juice. Now, I'll be able to go about it more intelligently (and have some more motivation!)

Laura

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information