Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20055 - 08/30/00 03:44 PM Flax Seed
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I've fed flax seed to my horses for ages, to improve their skin and coats. For some reason (duh) it never occured to me that I could take flax seed myself and maybe see an improvement in my skin.

Well, I've been taking flax seed for about a month now, and I really do think it's helping my skin. It's not quite as dry as I think it otherwise would have been and seems to be easier to care for. Again, I could also just be having a 'good' cycle in my skin, so I'll keep you updated as more time passes.

Anyone else taking flax seed and seeing an improvement in their skin?

I know it's important to get the freshest flaxseed you can--best if you grind it yourself and eat it as soon as it's ground. But, being the busy yuppie that I am, I'm not disciplined enough to grind my own. So I buy flaxseed that's already ground and vacuum sealed and stored in the refridge.

(As an aside, I am seeing other benefits typically associated with flaxseed...better digestion, energy, muscle tone, etc.)

#20056 - 09/07/00 01:15 AM Re: Flax Seed
Claudia Offline

Loc: Calgary Alberta Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Laura Phillips:
I've fed flax seed to my horses for ages, to improve their skin and coats. For some reason (duh) it never occured to me that I could take flax seed myself and maybe see an improvement in my skin.

Well, I've been taking flax seed for about a month now, and I really do think it's helping my skin. It's not quite as dry as I think it otherwise would have been and seems to be easier to care for. Again, I could also just be having a 'good' cycle in my skin, so I'll keep you updated as more time passes.

Anyone else taking flax seed and seeing an improvement in their skin?

I know it's important to get the freshest flaxseed you can--best if you grind it yourself and eat it as soon as it's ground. But, being the busy yuppie that I am, I'm not disciplined enough to grind my own. So I buy flaxseed that's already ground and vacuum sealed and stored in the refridge.

(As an aside, I am seeing other benefits typically associated with flaxseed...better digestion, energy, muscle tone, etc.)

I too have been taking Flax seed now for about six months and you are definatly right there is an improvement of the overall appearance and feel of the skin. I dont however take it fresh ,I take capsule form. The fresh sounds like a better idea where would you buy fresh Flax seed?

#20057 - 09/07/00 07:49 PM Re: Flax Seed
Laura Phillips Offline

I think most health food stores would get whole flaxseed for you, and then you could grind it yourself and take the powder (you can put it in orange juice etc. like you would a fiber supplement, or I put it in yogurt, oatmeal, and sprinkled over salads).

I get mine from Designing Health. It's called Missing Link. You can check this out at http://www.designinghealth.com It's definitely not the cheapest way to get flaxseed, but that's what I've been using (my horses are actually on the equine formula--that's how I originally heard about Missing Link--and I really liked the results in my horses, so I tried it for myself).

If anyone else knows any good sources of fresh, pre-ground flaxseed, let me know! Or, if you just want to get on my case about how easy it is, and how much cheaper it would be, to grind my own, feel free to do that too [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#20058 - 12/28/00 04:17 PM Re: Flax Seed
bumpy Offline

Loc: gainesville,fl,usa
My Ichthyosis affects my skin as bumpy,rough and scaly. I have tried the lac-hydrin and it was helpful but when I stopped using it the bumps reappeared. I turned to internal healing by using Flaxseed Oil and Cod Liver Oil. I have taken these oils twice daily for the past Month faithfully and I also take MSM. What a difference. No flakes. The front of my thighs still have some roughness but nowhere like before. I will continue to take these supplements for at least six months. Topically I apply Castor Oil mixed with Neutrogena Lotion.

#20059 - 02/27/01 09:18 PM Re: Flax Seed
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Aiesha has been on the freshly milled flax seed for over a month now and I have seen a definate improvement. She hardly scales although the dryness is still there. The brand I'm using is by Northern Edge but I've now found that the Designing Health brand is sold in Planet Organic in the UK so I'll be buying that one next.

#20060 - 02/28/01 03:36 AM Re: Flax Seed
Francisco Viedma Offline

Hi everyone! I was wondering if you could update us on how the flax seeds have helped you these last months.
It is a very interesting option that I never thought of til today.
Regards,

#20061 - 03/02/01 04:16 PM Re: Flax Seed
Laura Phillips Offline

Well, I've been stupid about this (to my own detriment). The Missing Link needs to be refridgerated (which I agree with--HAVE TO keep the flax seed fresh, so if you're not going to grind it yourself you need to be careful about how it's been processed and stored).

Based on my travel schedule for work, it's hard for to take it when I'm traveling. Then once I get out of the habit for a few days, I forget to take it even when I'm home.

So, the short of it is, I've been forgetting to take it most of the time [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] However, when I DO remember, it definitely seems to help.

L

#20062 - 10/13/01 05:17 PM Re: Flax Seed
murdock Offline

I have been trying to take a couple of teaspoons of Barleans flax oil before bed. That is the only time I take it because it is tough during day because it has to be refrigerated. I think it helps a little but not sure. I have never been consistent. I have heard the flax pills are a waste because you have to take so many to get enough of the oil and I heard they might go rancid. Does anyone have any reccomendations in terms of how much to take or in what form eg seeds, oil, or pills. I have read that ichthyosis and eczema and even dry skin in general is a result of fatty acid deficiency. This might be hype but I am not sure. Also, has anyone ever learned anything from seeing a dermatologist or could anyone reccomend someone in Boston. I have gone in the past but I have never learned much about it other than receiving a prescription for lac hydrin or steroids.

#20063 - 10/13/01 10:31 PM Re: Flax Seed
sonia Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I've been giving my daughter a Borage Oil capsule twice a day for a month now. I'm sure the oil is helping but at the same time the weather is also ideal for her. However, you may want to check out this link and read the section on "Skin Health"....http://www.fatsforhealth.com/library/libitems/bor_over.php3

I'd be very interested to learn of other people's experiences with Borage Oil.

Best to all,

Sonia

#20064 - 10/18/01 12:04 AM Re: Flax Seed
Elise Offline

Loc: Lynnwood, Washington
Hey guys, Heather sent me a page that has some interesting ifo on this the other day. you can find it at www.mercola.com and use the site search with the topic eczema. It will take you to an article about itchy skin. He recommends using evening primrose oil 6-12 caplets and also some omega 3 oils (freshly ground flax seed, or Carlsons lemon flavored cod liver oil -YUCK) anyways, I had taken both of these before, but after writing to Heather and seeing the article I realized that I had not taken a high enough dose of the evening primrose oil. I started at a higher dose last week and also take the flax seed capsules ( I just don't have the time to grind) and I can't beleive the results. I am a die hard cynic when it comes to skin products so I will be cautious but so far I have seen amazing results. I will post more later as I see if it is just a really fluky "good skin day" or really a result (just can't get over the scientist thing). Also, he addresses borage oil and says that he does not recommend it because it contains nervonic acid.. I had never heard of that before, but I mention it so you can look into it further. I encourage any of you that are using flax to add the evening primrose oil and see what happens. take care!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information