Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20028 - 02/17/08 07:12 PM any new lotions?
XLLarry Offline

Loc: Pasadena,CA
Hi Les and Everyone,
I've been using lacticare for years.
Does anyone like Aquaglycolic or Lachydrin or ?
Thanks Xlinked Larry

#20029 - 02/17/08 09:41 PM Re: any new lotions?
Les Avakian Offline

Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Hello X-Linked Larry
Welcome to our site and happy you asked. Many of our friends like aqua glycollic, Lachydrin 12% and 5%, dermal therapy, amlactin, Laclotion, Lacticare, Eucerin Plus, and a whole assortment of creams to many to list here.Everything is by trial and error to see what works best for you. Many years ago I tried Lacticare, but the ingredients were not strong enough for me. Im partial to Lachydrin 12% lactic acid for its ability to exfoliate my scales and helps with itching. Right now is when my scales turn a dirty brown on my arms, and the dryness and scaling on my legs and top of my ankles are more pronounced.Ive also used Triceram on my lower legs to control the extreme dryness and cracking at this time of year.How is the climate down south affecting your skin? Take care Larry and hope to hear from you.By for now.
Sincerely,
Les

#20030 - 02/28/08 06:02 PM Re: any new lotions?
BBR Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
do they still do Lacticare?

I used this maybe 2 years ago but got told it was discontinued.

Where abouts are you both from?

#20031 - 02/28/08 08:50 PM Re: any new lotions?
Les Avakian Offline

Hello BBR
I am from central California between San Francisco and Los Angeles in the center of the San Joaquin Valley. I have x-linked ichthyosis and the months of January and February are the worst for me.Whereabouts in the U.K are you from? Do you know there is an Ichthyosis Support Group of the U.K. and you can contact them at isg@ichthyosis.org.uk.As I posted before, there are many alpha hydroxy creams to help exfoliate scales and moisturize your skin.Take care BBR and I hope to see many more posts from you.
Sincerely,
Les

#20032 - 02/29/08 03:32 PM Re: any new lotions?
BBR Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Hi Les
Im from Liverpool (The Beatles?).
I suppose its all test & trial on different creams.

They seem to do Lacticare still in the US but have stopped in the UK.

Thanks for your feedback aswell, much appreciated. Take Care

#22285 - 08/08/08 04:03 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: BBR]
peter mackean Offline

Loc: Littlehampton, W Sussex, UK
hey peeps

to all our friends here in the UK, if you want a very successful lotion to try, its a Alpha Hydroxy Lotion, (lactic acid and urea) its Canadian made by Dermal Therapy but available here in UK from Advanced Care Products in Ipswich, they have a web site and is available on line for around £20 in a reasonable sized bottle of 474ml

be careful EHK sufferers, it can make you ichy, but for X-linked IV, wow, its changed my life, 42 years on and i practically cleared the scales within 5 days, well done to Dermal Therapy and lactic acid

the way i use it, i take a long warm shower, have a good soak, no soap, apart from hair, give myself a gentle rub with buff gloves to exfoliate, exit shower and partially dry off, armpits crotch and head, then using the wet skin to aid light spreading, smear the lotion all over body, after say ten mins, ya body is dry enough to cloth, excellent

i showered two to three times daily to start and was clear within 5 days, now i shower first thing in day, i have a little dryness now and then, i think it just reminding me i got it still

but hey, its summer now, my skin is great, and i'm confident enough to wear shorts
roll on winter, i can't wait to see the effects

take care peeps
pete

#22298 - 08/08/08 11:04 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: peter mackean]
MISFIT2012 Offline

Loc: Utah
Hi, I have lamellar and I just use plain ole Cure'l. It seems to work great for me, it's non-prescription and it's fairly cheap. I do use it 2-3 times a day.

#25133 - 09/16/09 01:04 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: MISFIT2012]
georged Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
It's also worth simply asking your chemist to make up a solution of 10% lactic and 5% urea in emollient. Most will be happy to do so, in my experience. Usually cheaper than what you'd buy commercially.

#25199 - 09/24/09 03:43 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: georged]
johnie88 Offline

Do everyone know about new lotions?

#25240 - 10/01/09 01:18 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: johnie88]
Amber Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi,
I have Lamellar Ichthyosis and I use a compound of 8% lactic acid and Aquaphore. I have been using this since the age of 14 I am now 21. Most of the time people can't even tell I have a skin disorder. If you donít like the way Vaseline feels you won't like this. The cost from where I get it is about $25 for a 1lb jar but it is well worth it when you see the outcome.

#26826 - 08/30/10 06:19 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: peter mackean]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi
I am from UK and was a bit lost for creams. Thanks to you AHA has changed my life too. I read your post and purchased it. I have used it for a month and find some darkening around legs and ankles.The rest of my body is fine. Have you had the same experience.

#26970 - 10/11/10 02:41 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: johnie88]
Tony Witting Offline

Yes, there is prescription cream called kerofoam. It is made up of 42% urea which displaces dead skin. I use it in combination with 12% amlactin lotion which helps the skin to exfoliate. great results. Also, you can go to dermaltherapy.com an order their lotion which 10% urea mixed with 10% lactic acid.

#26971 - 10/11/10 09:18 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: Tony Witting]
Les Avakian Offline

Hello Tony
What company produces kerofoam and do you know the cost? Sounds like a very interesting combination of 42% urea with 12% amlactin.This is the highest combination of alpha hydroxy creams I have seen. Are there any side affects like stinging or redness? What type of ichthyosis do you have and I am interested in your experiences.
Sincerely,
Les

#26972 - 10/12/10 09:26 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: Les Avakian]
ChristinaG Offline

Loc: Woodland Hills,CA
Hi Les,
I just did a little research online about Kerafoam and it looks like a good treatment. My sons insurance (Kasier) said they could order it for me, but they won't cover it under our plan. It cost $75 for a 60 gram bottle so it better work well! It's a foam so it's hard to judge how long a bottle will last...I'm ordering on bottle just to give it a try...My son (XLI) has been using Amlactin with good results in the past, but it now seems to not be working as well now...I'll let you know how his skin reacts to the Kerafoam.
Christina

#26973 - 10/12/10 10:25 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: ChristinaG]
Les Avakian Offline

Hi Christina,
Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing your experience with Kerafoam.At the Chicago conference in 2008, I learned about a cream called Kerol made by Doak Dermatologics, a subsidiary of Bradley Pharmacueticals. It consists of 50% urea with salicylic acid and it is by prescription. For adults I think it would be alright, but not sure about its use for children. Thank you Christina.
Sincerely,
Les

#26987 - 10/16/10 09:36 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: Les Avakian]
ChristinaG Offline

Hello Les,
So, the Kerafoam ended up costing $128 thru Kaiser. I really wanted my son to try it, just to see if it would be good for his eyebrows and face. He hated it. it seemed to dry out his skin within minutes! I'm sure it's different for everyone, so if you'd like to try it I can send you the bottle. Zack only used it once so it's almost full. It seemed expensive, but due to the fact it is a foam, it goes really far!:) Email me your address and i'll send it to you.
Cjbergh@sbcglobal.net

#26988 - 10/17/10 10:31 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: ChristinaG]
Les Avakian Offline

Good Morning Christina
Thank you for the nice gesture, but if Kerafoam dries your son`s skin, it would probably dry mine too. The price of Kerafoam is a little rich for my tastes, but if it works where other creams don`t, it could be beneficial to others. Some of our friends have success with Aqua Glycollic`s hand and body lotion made by Merz Pharmacueticals(800)253-9499. I am not sure if they sell a face cream.Have you tried Triceram made by Osmotics Corp? It is a very good cream for the very dry areas. Thank you Christina for your information.
Sincerely,
Les

#26999 - 10/19/10 11:58 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: Les Avakian]
ChristinaG Offline

Hey Les,
I'm going to call Merz Pharmacueticals and find out if they have something for Zacks face. His brows are so bad...anyone have ideas on how to treat the eye area?
Christina

#27989 - 10/20/11 06:15 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
williams Offline

Hello,
I also use different products for beauty..... but i can't find any one better ....... some of one give me result but temporary... now i use Latisse .... and think good .
vivite review

Edited by williams (10/22/11 07:59 AM)

#28067 - 11/16/11 05:55 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
mickle Offline

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone use it?

#28073 - 11/17/11 08:39 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
Les Avakian Offline

Hello Mickle,
I have been helped by the alpha hydroxy acid cream Lachydrin 12% lactic acid.It might be too strong for others, but for me,it controls my itching problem and dry skin. Some of the newer creams are including ceramides, cholesterol, and fatty lipids to their mixture. Some of the name brands are Triceram and Creme D Extreme made by Osmotics Corp. and Epiceram. Eucerin Plus and Eucerin Calming cream are very good. Aqua Glycollic made by Merz Pharmacueticals are reported to be very good also. Amlactin 12% lactic acid made by Upsher Smith is over the counter and economical. Keralyt Gel is a salicyllic acid cream. Lacticare for me personally is not strong enough, but many of our friends use it.Take care Mickle and by for now.
Sincerely,
Les

#28083 - 11/19/11 08:03 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: mickle]
mickle Offline

Originally Posted By: mickle
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone use it?

prevage md

#28237 - 01/31/12 11:36 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
Johnsutan Offline

I have tried Aquaglycolic which i have found very good . Have any body used this lotion or not ? . If so then please share about your experience of using it.

#28240 - 02/02/12 09:12 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Les,
Is Amlactin 12% lactic acid the same as Amlactin, or are they two different products? i have been looking for something a bit stonger than Amlactin for my 14 year old son (XLI) because he feels the Amlactin is not working as well as before. Does anyone else find their lotions stop working after a while? Zacks been using Amlactin since he was 7 and it's worked great until now...? I did notice a new Amlactin product on the drug store shelf yesterday...triple action alpha hydroxy therapy....anyone try it yet?
Christina/Zack

#28241 - 02/02/12 03:04 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
Les Avakian Offline

Hello Christina, I would say yes. There are two products I have discovered at Sams Club, but I think you can order from any drugstore Amlactin 12% and Amlactin 12% anti-itch formula.If Amlactin is not working, ask your dermatologist if he would suggest Lachydrin 12% in cream form. I think it is stronger and works better than the Lachydrin lotion. Some of my friends attending the FIRST Atlanta National conference (2006) mentioned their preference for Aqua Glycollic over Lachydrin or Amlactin. On cold nights, I am also applying inexpensive glycerin. I hope this helps and keep us informed on his progress.

#28248 - 02/03/12 11:58 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
DallasMom Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Try Glytone! AmLactin is not strong enough for me. I buy the Glytone 12 oz body lotion with the SPF in it, it is 17.5% glycolic acid in an extremely rich base. They make a 20% 8 oz without SPF but I find it does not have enough emollients in it. I suppose you could use that and then put aquaphor over it or something, but who has time when you are already slathering yourself every day? Been using this for years and it is the only thing that makes my skin feel anything like normal skin.

#28559 - 07/25/12 10:33 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
peter mackean Offline

Loc: Littlehampton, W Sussex, UK
just a quick update 4 years on

im still using Alpha Hydroxy Lotion, my skin is great after 4-5 years usage and my confidence is boosted too

just interested to see how everyone is getting on, what your regimes are or if they have changed

chat soon maybe

#28971 - 07/27/13 02:04 AM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
jamesbravo Offline

Loc: New York
Thanks for the great information Les Avakian you have a great comment its really informative for me..I am from New York and I was also looking for this..

#29201 - 06/06/14 05:11 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
jammi Offline

50 years old, seems like I've tried almost everything including prescriptions. Best advice I ever got was to stay away from Laurel Sulfate, an ingredient used to make products lather. I found soap like Yardley soap and shampoo by Cibu and recently discovered Buffy Body Butter by Lush.com I think the main ingredient is coconut oil. It has made my icthyosis and keratosis pilaris almost unnoticeable.
I also found it gets better with age, swimming in chlorinated pools, suntan and bleach baths.
I highly recommend trying the Buffy body butters. They are all natural.

#29205 - 06/21/14 08:44 PM Re: any new lotions? [Re: XLLarry]
DK12345 Offline

For as long as I can remember, I have had Ichtyosis Vulgaris. My main problem areas were my legs growing up, but as i got older i have noticed it working its way up to my hips, upper back and arms. I have been to many doctors, herbal treatments, and dermatologists to try and find a cure. Unfortunately nothing had seemed to help. I had tried numerous steroid creams, home remedies, and even UV light therapy creams. Some creams helped me keep my skin moisturized for about a few hours, and then it would be back to being scaly, flakey and severly dry. I am always on the hunt to try new lotions, and giving up really isnt an option. Growing up with Icthyosis was hard, I had to cover up my skin due to insecurities, and RARELY wore dresses. Summer time would be difficult for me, because i couldn't wear anything that would show my legs. I am now 23 years old, and my Icthyosis was at its worst this past winter, and was severly painful and dry and cracking. During one of my late nights searching for new treatments for Icthyosis, I came across an article regarding a product called SR Lotion. As always i was a little skeptical, because i have read numerous articles claiming products to work, but when I actually try them, it doesnt. Now, being the optimistic that I was, I figured I would do some more reaserch. After searching for reviews about this product, I came across a before an after picture of someones back that suffered from Icthyosis. In awe, i wanted to find out where and how fast i could get this product. I went to their site www.SRLotion.com, and placed in my order. I had recieved the product 7 days within placing my order, and i was SUPER excited. The reviews mentioned to use the lotion twice a day. So as directed i used it twice a day, and withiin 4-5 days, i saw a HUGE difference in my skin. My skin was peeling off effortlessly, after i shower i would use my towel to scrub down my skin which help shed some more of the excess skin off. I was in serious shock, and after continuing to use it, my skin just got better and better each day. I thought i was dreaming. After continuously using this lotion for 3 weeks, I can easily say that all my dry spots are 90% gone, the only thing i have left are the dark marks left from my icthyosis. I am confident with the continous use of this lotion, my dark marks wil fade as well. I recommend this product to anyone struggling with ichthyosis. I have already told a few friends to try this product. Not only is it useful for Icthyosis it helps treat other skin conditions like Psoriasis as well as Acne. I am beyond excited to see what else this lotion can do for my skin. Coming from experience, i know how tough it must be to deal with skin conditions such as Icthyosis, and it definitely takes a toll on your self confidence. To anyone concerned with skin problems, i strongly urge you to try this product, you will NOT regret it. There is even a 30 day money bay guarantee policy. Hopefully this review helps many people out there to help treat their Icthyosis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information