Topic Options
#20017 - 05/21/07 06:29 PM TIPS for men and women
sajid1975 Offline

Loc: Flushing, NY, USA
I have dealt with this problem since birth, here is my recommendations:
When showering, enjoy it hot or cold, lather your face with soap and rinse under shower, once the skin feels non oily, take your fingers and rub off the dry skin, it should come off easy, concentrate around the chin bone area, near the nose, around the nose, near the ears, not too much on the nose since that is light skin. ok that sounds like a lot of work but should take less then 5 mins, next lather your wash cloth, use a nice soap with glycerin to make it slippery, rub your face to remove any left over dry skin and to get a thorough cleaning of the face area that the fingers missed, the washcloth speeds things up but make sure to clean the skin with fingers first or this will not be effective. Make sure to rub with cloth away from water to keep the slippery feel there then continue under the water for full cleaning. DONE....5-10 mins if not less

For the neck area, lather the cloth and rub away from water to get that slippery clean, then under water to get full clean.

For men, shave every four days, shaving makes rubbing 90% easier. Dont shave every other day cuz the skin is too sensitive and it will get hard.

For the body, shave the legs, shaving is easy way to keep the flaking to a minimum, even though its not manly, it helps reduce overall flaking and making your living area cleaner. After shaving, lather wash cloth and rub down to remove any hard flaking areas, then rub under running shower for full clean, once a week should be good enough for this. This also applies to arms but twice a week is good minus the cloth rubs every week.

Hope this helps, its worked for me since I experimented at age 20, oh, this regimen for the face should be every other day only, the other days should be a quick shower with no rubbing :-)

ops, forgot to mention, after you step out the shower, pat your self dry and use Vaseline total moisture all over the body, no excessive, just enough to make you feel normal again, this will last through the day and you face will looks as good as normal can get, maybe a little oily or abrasive on the face, but just wash the face mid day and use moisturizer again. anytime you wash any area, use moisurizer.
Any questions, please email me, I have ichthyosis all over the body but been able to live normally...married and normal son..

hope this helps.

Just to summurize:

-Take shower and rinse face with soap, then rub face with fingers any soft skin.
-Take wash cloth, lather with soap, rub face away from water at first, then under water.
-Take wash cloth, later with soap, rub neck away from water, then under water
-Arm and legs, shave em, lather wash cloth, rub down gently away from water then under water.
-When finished, use Vaseline total moisture(non greasy) and lube up entire body, dont use too much, conserves cost
-If you wash any part thorugh the day, use moisurizer again
-Always lube the hands through the day.

SaJ

#20018 - 05/21/07 07:43 PM Re: TIPS for men and women
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

Welcome. Thanks for all the tips. Many of us use time in shower to rub off scales. It is easier to do on some parts of the body, like neck, chest and shin for me, than on other parts.

Keep in mind that while the specifics of your regiment may work for you and some other people, it may not work for everyone due to different types of ich and different severity and different climates we live in. Good luck to you.

#20019 - 07/11/07 02:29 PM Re: TIPS for men and women
bronzed aussie Offline

Loc: Australia
Sounds great.

I too use Vaseline intensive care. This is definately the best moistureriser I have ever used. I'm open to better suggestions though?

I ask you though who has time for a 5 minute shower?

Can anyone recommend something for your hair?

Obviously you need to use shampoos and conditioners without alcohol in them...

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information