Topic Options
#19966 - 09/18/05 10:07 AM An Ichtyosis Story
sssshhhyea Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, CANADA
Hi guys,

I just recently registered and signed up to join this.

Here's my story, I lived in the Southern Part of Phillipines for the first 8 years of my life. I then came to Vancouver, Canada when I was 9. I got ichtyosis, my arms, my legs, my back, and my buttocks have little brown spots and they do fairly get very dry & itchy. I don't have it on my hands, my face, nor my feet thou. They are smooth and fine.

My mother also had the same problem when we came to Canada, but mine is worst than hers. Her spots have fairly cleared and is unnoticable unless you really look close at her skin.

I've been reading many of the thread discussions here and it's so amazing to see other people share their problems and find support. I'm very happy to see that there are people who really care.

I'm 22 years old now and to tell you the truth, I've never had problems with girls until now. I had many girlfriends while I was in high school and they were hot. I have had ichtyosis since I was 13. Skin is the least worry you should have with a girl cause I think they have far more worries about you as a person. Trust me, I've been there. LOL. I can't believe i'm saying this.

But now that I'm 22, my physical appearance has become a very important issue of mine in this stage of my life and I now have become very shy and worried what other new girls might think.

I find it so funny that when I was in high school and even a few years after high school, that my ichtyosis didn't bother me nor and now it has that I'm older.

I know that there has got to be a solution out there and a way to solve this skin disorder. I've been using lac-hydrin lotion, but it really doesn't seem to help.

My question for you guys?

I see that there are my different kinds of ichtyosis. I know mine is not inherited because I have a little brother who was born here and his skin is perfect. I would really like to know which kind of ichtyosis I have so I can figure out a daily routine that would help my skin. I know there's gotta be a way. Open to suggestions and all the help.

Thanks for reading.

------------------
Be the best that you can be...

#19967 - 09/19/05 07:13 PM Re: An Ichtyosis Story
Les Avakian Offline

Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Hello Sssssshhhyea
Welcome to our ichthyosis group and I`m happy you posted.When you first mentioned itching and dryness, I thought you might have x linked.In further reading I would take a guess that you have vulgaris (common) ichthyosis.That is only a guess and a doctor could better diagnose your type of ichthyosis with a blood test or a genetic test.As for the inheritance, you could have inherited ichthyosis from your parents.Your younger brother might not have inherited the genes that produce ichthyosis.I know in X linked ichthyosis, there is a 50% chance of inheriting the marked x chromosome. Im not sure of the percentages on vulgaris or the other types of ich.Some of my vulgaris friends are using Dermal Therapy Alpha Hydroxy Lotion with 10% urea(moisturizing) and 10% lactic acid(exfolient) to help their skin with dryness and itching.Im sorry to hear the Lachydrin is not working for you as it has been for me.A friend of mine in your area uses Ulatem (sp?) and is very satisfied.We have a few ichthyosis friends up in the British Columbia area, and I hope they post what works best.Take care SSShhhyyea and by for now.
Sincerely,
Les

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information