Topic Options
#19942 - 01/29/04 03:34 PM Habari yenu
Ndungu Offline

Loc: Nairobi, Kenya
That is swahili for hello, my name is Ndungu and I am 28 years old and I have had Ichthyosis since I was born, I am a Kenyan....but not a runner ( [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/redface.gif[/img]). I have been missing in action for quite sometime due to the nature of work that I do, but fortunately I am more or less settled in one place now. I was just curious to know whether there are any Africans who have Ichthyosis out there. Living in the tropics with the condition is quite challenging due to lack of information on the condition. Most people snub me and sometimes it is quite difficult to form relationships with people due to outward appearance. If anyone from within the continent would like to talk please post a reply, however, I am open to any interaction with any of the members. I think this is an excellent tool for those of us who have been living with the condition. Kudos to laura and team.
cheers
Shadowfax - PS I am a LOTR fan.
Did I sound to formal???

------------------
shadowfax

#19943 - 01/29/04 09:22 PM Re: Habari yenu
Les Avakian Offline

Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Hello Ndungu
Welcome back my friend. It has been so very long since we last spoke in the ich chatroom or you have posted here.What have you been up to? So many things have happened in the ichthyosis world since we last spoke.Many of the bulletin posters went to Philadelphia for the 2000 national ichthyosis conference.There were 250 people there from all over the world and we had the best time.They had discussion groups with doctors,breakout sessions for the dads, moms, and teenagers, and we became one big family. In July 2002 we all assembled in Seattle Washington and met many people from the west coast, people from New Zealand, Pakistan, Hong Kong, etc.This July we are meeting in Kansas City for our national conference.Ndungu, so many new people have come to our bulletin board you would be amazed. Well I hope we can see you in the ich chatroom sometime. Take care Ndungu and glad you to see you are back.
Your central calif ich friend,
Les

#19944 - 01/30/04 01:36 AM Re: Habari yenu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Habari yenu Ndungu,
Sounded fine to me, not too formal at all. What do you mean you're not a runner, I thought everyone from Kenya was a runner [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. Obviously being from Kenya you must not be heat intolerant, what kind of Ichthyosis do you have? I'm going to memorize how to say hello in Swahili. What type of work do you do? I was going to ask what LOTR was but then I put it together with shadowfax and figured out what you meant. Did you read the book? Hope I didn't overwhelm you with questions.
Keith.

#19945 - 01/30/04 09:58 AM Re: Habari yenu
Ndungu Offline

Loc: Nairobi, Kenya
Hi Les and Keith, I am really excited that I am able to interact with you guys once again. Well for the last three years I have been all over my country doing several managerial jobs and I was recently brought back to our headoffice last year. I am currently managing one of our biggest portfolio brands, which incidentally is very exciting. About my Ichthyosis, Les, you know the story, still not been able to identify what kind of condition I have, but I should believe that it is the milder version, I have patches of normal skin (20%) and ichth 80%), I am quite scally hence I do not wear black clothing often and my skin gets dry very fast. So far ointments that I have used hardly bear any fruit due to their none moisturising nature, hence I have settled on vaseline and shea butter which are quite good when used together. I hope that one day i shall be able to identify what I actually have but perhaps you guys might have a clue. Les, I will have to look at my calendar and see whether I can attend this years conference, so far it looks 80% possible, I might be attending a wedding around then but in Oakland ca, I will give you details as the months progress. About the chat rooms, the times are very tricky cause it means that I have to be on my pc at 5.00am on wed which is a bit tricky...sleepy head [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img], however, we can agree and see whether we can meet up on a time that is convenient to you. keith, I have read the trilogy of the Lord of the Rings, it still intrigues me to this day. Incidentally les, I have gained so much weight, is this normal. It looks as if I am on steroids yet I have not been eating much? any way guys i hope I have answered all questions will look forward to talking to you guys later. les, any info on guys from Africa, I am really keen to know whether I am alone on this continent.
cheers

------------------
shadowfax

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information