Topic Options
#19895 - 12/31/02 11:01 AM does anyone use Calmurid hc cream
chanjcs Offline

currently i'm using Calmurid HC cream which contains hydrocortisone 1%, urea 10%, lactic acid 5%.
after applying the cream for 2 or 3 days the scales come off but they reappear after a month or so.

does anyone use this cream and what do you think

#19896 - 01/22/03 11:48 PM Re: does anyone use Calmurid hc cream
AdamsDad Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Can you tell me a little more about this cream? This is one that I haven't heard of. I have a son with EHK, and we're currently using a variety of creams. Some with Urea, some with Lactic Acid. None with a combination however. Where can you get it? How often did you apply it? Once your scales came off, did you continue to use the cream, or did you just do 'normal' moisturizing until the scales came back? Also, what type of ichthyosis do you have? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide.
Regards,
Mark

#19897 - 12/14/05 11:32 AM Re: does anyone use Calmurid hc cream
ravi Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,
I've been using it for the past 2-3 years on and off and initially it seemed to keep the condition under control - alongwith using clingfilm as recommended by the doctor.

However, prolonged use seemed to actually worsen the condition especially in winter when the skin seems particularly prone to drying out, and any use of corticosteroids seems to just drive the problem deeper.

I'm considering using it again now as a short term solution since the areas worst affected (my lower legs) are quite bad now, but it seems a pity that there are no other alternatives to using steroid based creams like this.

The fear as that in summer, for instance, after using Calmurid, I get some relief and the skin seems to return to "normal" quite dramatically, but once you stop using it, it tends to come back and the longer you use it, when it returns it is often extremely severe.

I'm returning to accupuncture (which seemed to fix the problem although I'm resigned to the fact that it's chronic), since I'd rather not use steroid based treatments due to the long term detrimental effects.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information