Topic Options
#19835 - 11/02/00 07:16 PM where to go for a biopsy and advice for scrubbing and exfoliating
jaani Offline

Registered: 10/15/00
Posts: 10
where does one go for a biopsy to check exactly what type of ichthyosis i have?
please advise all types of gels and cleansers used for exfoliating and scrubbing away the dead cells.

#19836 - 11/03/00 01:04 PM Re: where to go for a biopsy and advice for scrubbing and exfoliating
Les Avakian Offline


Registered: 08/13/00
Posts: 680
Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Good morning Jaani, how are you doing?Your best bet it to have your dermotologist take a biopsy to determine your specific type of ichthyosis. The symptoms you describe match mine exactly.I have X linked ichthyosis and need an acid cream. I used Eucerin for many years but it didnt help with itching and had no affect on my scales. Lachydrin 12% lactic acid works best for me, but it is by prescription.There is a Lachydrin 5% lactic acid over the counter,but it doesnt work as well.From what I have been told, Amlactin works better than Lachydrin and is over the counter.Others use Aqua Glycollic by Allergen Pharmacueticals which is a percentage of glycollic acid, Eucerin Plus with a percentage of uric acid, and even some use salicyllic acid mixed with a base like Aquaphor or Eucerin.This is a trial and error process, what works better for some will not work as well for others.If you would like to correspond further contact me at for now.
Les Avakian


Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information