Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19529 - 09/20/05 09:42 AM shaving my legs
wva Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI, USA
Hi everyone. This may sound like a dumb subject to some women. However, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me about shaving my legs or using hair removal products? When I shave my legs they get a rash and I knick them a lot causing them to bleed. And in the past when I used hair removal products they left my skin in a rash and irritated. I have blonde hair and sometimes I just say forget it because I wonder if it is even worth trying. But, call it vanity if you must, I would prefer to come up with a happy solution.

#19530 - 09/21/05 11:17 AM Re: shaving my legs
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
Try using a scrub to shave with. It actually helps the razor stay clean & sharp longer & makes the hair "stand up" better. It also helps take off dead skin as well as hair! I personally use Mary Kay Buffing Cream. You have to get it from a consultant & if you don't know one, just go to www.marykay.com, type in your ZIP code, & they'll give you the contact info for someone in your area.

#19531 - 09/21/05 06:48 PM Re: shaving my legs
wva Offline

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will try the Mary Kay. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#19532 - 09/28/05 11:03 AM Re: shaving my legs
Lisa Marie Offline

Loc: NY
Another suggestion is to use hair conditioner. I never get nicks using conditioner. Plus I only shave while I take a bath after my skin has time to soak.

#19533 - 09/28/05 04:12 PM Re: shaving my legs
wva Offline

Thank you Lisa Marie for your suggestion. I felt silly posting my question. But, I am glad that there is somewhere that I can ask even my silly questions and have a good response. Thanks again! [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#19534 - 09/28/05 08:28 PM Re: shaving my legs
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
Hey, no question is silly here! What may seem "silly" or "odd" to a normal-skin person is just plain ol' way of life for us!

#19535 - 10/19/05 10:58 PM Re: shaving my legs
Chelle Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
You can also try using an electric razor. I have never been able to use a regular razor on my legs...the skin is just too rough, but the electric razor causes no problems. Also, since it doesn't touch the skin like a regular one does, you're less likely to develop a rash from using it.

One thing I've discovered though, is that even though an electric razor may be wet/dry, I can only use it before I shower or put on creams, because the scales get too soft and clog the razor otherwise.

#19536 - 10/20/05 01:51 PM Re: shaving my legs
wva Offline

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. At least there are women out there that understand my rare issues. I have always made jokes out of my dilemma. But, now I actually have some good ideas to try! Thanks again.

#19537 - 11/04/05 08:53 AM Re: shaving my legs
Peachfuzz Offline

Loc: Buckinghamshire, UK
I have found that shaving my legs actually made my skin scale more - not to mention the unbearable rough feeling of re-growth! I finally threw caution into the wind and tried waxing which was painful to start with but got less painful each time, however, I have now started to use sugaring (which is similar to wax but quite not so harsh) it works in the same way as waxing and it also peels of excess scales from my legs without pulling the skin or leaving a rash leaving my legs lovely and smooth ! I got my sugaring products from The Body Shop. I also use shea butter and lotion from the Body shop which really seems to help keep me smooth.

#19538 - 12/11/05 11:12 PM Re: shaving my legs
BG Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Waxing is awesome i find! It get's rid of my scales, instant exfoliation and it's the only time my legs feel TRULY smooth! I actually wax my hands myself and not because of hair, just for that exfoliation!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information