Topic Options
#19513 - 07/05/05 02:13 PM Fears About Entering "The Real World"
ShawnaLynne Offline

Loc: Palermo, ME, United States
Hey All,

My names is Shawna and I'm a 17 year old from Maine. I will soon be entering my senior year of high school and although I'm very excited I also can't help but wonder what the future will hold for me. I know that all teens my age have the normal fears about heading off to college and being out on their own for the very first time. But for me the fears run so much deeper than that, as I'm sure they have for many of you. I now often worry if I really will be able to suceed and be a contributing member of society.

So far I haven't really had any problems. I have a number of what I would consider good friends, but my love life is pretty much non-existant. That is greatly my fault though. I don't see the point in starting a relationship at this age and at this point in my life. Most guys I know are extremely shallow and idiotic with a few, very rare acceptions, LOL. I'm sure you all know how that goes.

Anyways, I would love to hear some inspirational stories from some of you ladies. I'm sure you have many of them. Thank's a bunch!

~*Shawna*~

#19514 - 07/05/05 06:56 PM Re: Fears About Entering "The Real World"
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
Hi! I'm 26 and I have LI. I went through the same feelings when I graduated & went to college & the whole dating thing and all. I only had 2 boyfriends in h.s. (one is my best bud's cousin & I'm still friends w/ him) & I met my husband about a week before I graduated.

College is a lot different than h.s. Very little teasing & stuff--nobody really seems to care. I was scared to go at first b/c of other people's reactions. I hated my first year, but that was just b/c I didn't like the school I went to & my parents made me stay there. I took time off, married my husband, put him through vo-tech, and then went back to college (a different college this time) for speech communications & business. I was scared to go back in case I hated it again, but I loved it & even graduated with honors.

Now, I've been married for 5 years (on July 31), have a 2 year old son (normal skin) and have one on the way next month (can't wait-I feel like a hippo). I am also the executive director for a non-profit that helps low-income people become homeowners and I have been a Mary Kay beauty consultant for the last year & a half(so much for being self-conscious about my skin).

#19515 - 02/05/06 04:54 PM Re: Fears About Entering "The Real World"
LisaScott Offline

Loc: Andrews, NC, USA
Shawna,
I understand your fears, it's a great big WONDERFUL world out there and it's yours for the taking. I turned 50 last year and every year has gotten better. Schools years were such a nightmare that I have little memory of it. College was wild, not what I would brag about now, but it all helped me grow up to be the woman I am today. I didn't marry the first time until I was 32 and it lasted about 10 years. Wonderful man, but we didn't live together very well. I've been married now about 3 years and it's bliss - literally!! I am a teacher now after over 20 years in private industry. I was successfull with a good reputation and lots of friends. My personality keeps me in the front of everything even when I really don't want to be. At 50 I'm still concerned about what people see and what they will think. My fears are bigger than reality. Whenever I'm unsure of myself I remember what Oprah said "Fake it until you make it!" Good luck sweetie!!
Lisa

#19516 - 02/07/06 01:08 AM Re: Fears About Entering "The Real World"
kacy825 Offline

Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland, USA
Hi Shawna,
I understand your fears, I think we have all been there. I am 38 years old and have EHK. As was already said, college is totally different then high school. This will be a great time for you to stretch your wings, educate others about your skin, and make many awesome friends. Do you know where you are going to college? I have always been really out going and this helps with making friends. I have always been taught be the first to say hello and others will see your amazing personality.
As far as being successful, I married my high school sweetheart. We have been married now for 13 years and have been together for over 20. We have three sons 5,10 and 12. I had normal pregnancies except for c-section deliveries due to them being huge. They do not have Ehk, and are the most loving, nonjudgemental boys. Following college I worked in special ed, and I also worked as a nursing assistant when I was younger. I am a stay at home mom now though.
Even though I haven't met you, I am sure your are an amazing young woman. Remember, Ichthyosis is only one part of you not all of you. Be confident in all you do and you can be all you want to be. Can you be a productive member of society? ABSOLUTELY !!!!! Dream Big !!!!!!
Kacy
Younger brother also affected.

" I have EHK, it doesn't have me!"

#19517 - 02/14/06 09:15 PM Re: Fears About Entering "The Real World"
Cindym Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hi Shawna,

The other day I came across my high school ring. It was actually 20 years ago that I graduated from high school. I can't believe how the time has gone by. Enjoy your college experience. You seem very mature for 17. Grab a hold of your dreams, and never let them go. Enjoy every moment. There will be good times and bad along the way. Hold on to the good and learn from the bad. Take care, and good luck to you.

From a Mom with 4 kids, one X-Linked, a wonderful husband, and I wouldn't change any of it for the world.

Cindy

#19518 - 02/22/06 12:24 AM Re: Fears About Entering "The Real World"
lexy1742 Offline

Loc: fresno california
hey
my name is alexis i really can't give any stories because i'm only 17 myself but if you want i would love to chat sometime who can relate feel free to email me at tupac94501@yahoo.com

#19519 - 07/14/06 01:31 PM Re: Fears About Entering "The Real World"
Shawna Offline

Loc: Palermo, Maine, United States
Hey everyone, it's Shawna. I changed my username because I seem to have forgotten my password. Anyways, thank you so much for the stories and comments.

I am now 18 years old and have recently graduated high school with honors. My final years of school, although filled with petty dram was absolutely amazing. I had my first boyfriend and although it only lasted 3 months it really did a lot for my self esteem. It helped me to see that there are guys out there who are able to look past what's on the outside and see the beaty that lies within. Ok, that sounded like a message from a fortune cookie, but you know what I mean. Anyways, I also really put myself out there when I participated in the school talent show. I sang "You Were Meant For Me" by Jewell and recieved a standing ovation. In turn I was asked to sing at this huge assembly held on the day of our graduation. That was a moment I won't soon forget.

I'm attending a local state university next year in order to study business. I'm very excited, but extrememly nervous (as I'm sure most are.)

I still worry about the future sometimes, mainly marriage. They say though that there is someone for everyone, I just hope that's true.

I would still really appreciate any stories you ladies might have to share with me. Thanks a lot everyone!

~*Shawna*~

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information