Topic Options
#19458 - 01/04/05 05:30 AM Really personal....
Chelle Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ok, I'm kinda embarassed to ask, but here goes:

Does anyone of you regularly experience pain during intercourse? I have problems with this basically every time. It doesn't really feel internal though, but instead that the surrounding skin is in pain. Is this related to my LI or is it something else entirely? I hate bringing this up with a doctor when it's possible that my skin is the cause, and my physician would blame something else.

#19459 - 01/04/05 02:47 PM Re: Really personal....
Sofie Offline

Loc: Switzerland / USA
Dear Chelle

Are you taking any retinoids (Accutane, Soriatane)? Retinoids can cause dry mucous membranes (in your nose, mouth etc.). This could be a reason for pain during intercourse (too dry). A simple lubricant (no oil if you use condoms!) would help.

Hope this helps.
Sofie

#19460 - 01/04/05 06:46 PM Re: Really personal....
Chelle Offline

I don't use any retinoids, and we've tried lubricants. They don't seem to help that much.

#19461 - 01/04/05 07:38 PM Re: Really personal....
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Actually, coming from the other end, yes. Without extra lubrication, I often end up rather sore and raw due to dh's EHK skin. Delivering Nathan was pretty damaging, too.

Have you tried Astroglide? It is much better than KY. Another idea - be intimate right after a shower or bath.

Good luck!

Jennifer
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#19462 - 01/05/05 03:36 PM Re: Really personal....
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Chelle,

I don't know you, so I don't know what age group you are in, or whether you are with a long term partner or someone new...

I just wondered if you might be subconsciously self conscious about your skin condition, and that may cause tension, hence pain...

Otherwise, I have EHK, and i find that my skin rips internally quite easily sometimes...not to mention the KNEE CAPS...and the arthritis pain in the hips...Pure Agony...definitely not Ecstacy hehehe

When I have very reluctantly mentioned the same problem to my doctor he thought that the skin would be more fragile there also...

I wish the after shower idea was good for me, but the more soft the skin, more it rips for me...and when dry tooo prickly and stiff to move.

As Keith said regards finding perfect computer chairs...not much to do about it...have to live with it I guess...

Anyway I am getting past all that stuff now....leave it to the young ones...

HAVE FUN....

Pauline.

#19463 - 01/06/05 06:37 AM Re: Really personal....
Chelle Offline

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I've gotten some helpful ones. And if someone else has more to contribute, more replies are welcome!

I just wanted to add that I'm now engaged to a wonderful man who also happens to have LI! Should be an interesting life... ;-)

#19464 - 01/24/05 11:23 PM Re: Really personal....
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Yes, intercourse can be painful. Lubricant like KY is very important for us and yes, it does help if I've recently had a bath or shower and moisturized.

The other thing that helps is if my hubby wears a condom. For some reason that cuts down on the skin irritation from friction. If we don't use lots of KY (and Astroglide doesn't work for me, makes it worse for some reason) then I get raw in mere moments! So no, you're not the only one and I have heard guys with icthyosis mention that without lubrication it can be painful for them, too so we are not alone!

#19465 - 09/26/05 11:26 PM Re: Really personal....
wva Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI, USA
Yes, I have always had to use lubricants and preferrably use lotions on my skin and baths always help before getting intimate with my husband. If I try to not use lubricants in a spur of the moment my skin is left hurting. I agree that when my husband used to use condoms it actually felt better on my skin because of the less friction.

#19466 - 10/14/05 08:36 PM Re: Really personal....
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
The thing about KY Jelly is that it is made mostly for clinic use, so it's kinda cold and gummy. Also, KY (jelly AND liquid) contains a lot of glycerin-it even tastes sweet and is not supposed to be flavored!
Glycerin is bad because it is basically sugar, and the vagina has natural "yeasts" in it that are normally controlled, but we all know what happens when we give yeast something sweet to feed on!

I'd suggest using a silicone based lubricant. It lasts forever and if you add a little water, it "rejuvinates". The only thing is be careful not to use a silicone-based condom or silicone "toys" with silicone lube, it will fuse together & you'd be stuck!

A good way to tell if a lube is good or not is to put a small drop on your fore finger and rub your finger and thumb together. If you can rub 75 times and you're still "slippery" it's a good lube!

The things a person learns when one becomes a romance party distributor! lol
-Lea

#19467 - 10/14/05 08:44 PM Re: Really personal....
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
I also wanted to add that I have LI, too, and I've never really had a problem with painful intercourse--with or without lube!

Chelle, I wonder if it might be because your betrothed has LI as well? Maybe because his skin is also dry, well, you get the idea!

If using strong lubricants (remember to stay away from the ones that contain glycerine) alone doesn't seem to work, try using a condom in addition to the lube.
-Lea

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information