Topic Options
#19454 - 12/01/04 01:13 AM The Pill
Carly Offline

Hi all,

I have been dating a wonderful guy for a while now, and because of my allergy to latex, I've considered taking the Pill. (Here in Australia, latex-fee condoms are very expensive, and there is only one brand that is available.)

The only purposes I want the Pill for are to prevent babies and to skip periods (sounds like a real novelty!).

I've been reading about the different types of Pill, and they do outline generic side effects. I understand that every woman will react differently to the Pill, but are there any ichthyosis-specicific side effects that any of you have experienced? My main concern is the doses that reduce acne. Now, seeing ichthyosis skin isn't moisture rich, the reduction of acne causing sebum may not be the best.

Bearing in mind that I live in Australia, can anyone tell me of some brands that may be good for ichthyosis sufferers, and also, any side effects- ichthyosis related?

Thanks,
Carly

#19455 - 12/01/04 07:04 AM Re: The Pill
Lisa Marie Offline

Loc: NY
Taking the pill shouldn't affect your Ichthyosis. It didn't for me and I took them for many years - a bunch of different brands. The brand that is helpful for skin in Yasmin, which I took also. It didn't change my skin either.
Taking the pill is usually trial and error. You have to find one that works for your body, that's why there are so many out there. Your doctor who knows you will know what to start with, then if you have any side effects, you try another. It's actually pretty simple.
I would note that you might want to take into account that the pill won't protect you from sexually trasmitted diseases, so you may want to have him get tested for such first. Good luck.

#19456 - 12/03/04 08:06 PM Re: The Pill
Becky Offline

Loc: Peachtree City,Ga, USA
Hi!!! I started the pill when I was 17 because I was having irregular periods.. and I have continued to stay on it! I take Desogen and there is a generic brand called April... they work well for me and have not really messed up my skin at all! If anything I think they help clear up my face!! If you have any other questions... I had to try alot of pills before I found one that worked!

#28286 - 03/18/12 12:07 PM Re: The Pill [Re: Carly]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was on a low dose combination pill and I loved it. No more break outs! I eventually had to get taken off of it because of my migraine with aura and i'm on the the mini pill. Now i break out all the time. Ugh!

#28333 - 04/16/12 09:16 AM Free condoms and sexual assistance [Re: Carly]
Chrissie Offline

Loc: The Gap, Brisbane, Qld Austral...
Hi Carly
It's Chrissie, I've not been on for years and realise this posting is old. But if I can help please let me know or look up website and don't be embarrassed asking for free help/products/etc.

If posting and reply to old, sorry:)

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/tpch/documents/shs_insert2.pdf
Chrissie Brisbane

#28334 - 04/16/12 09:22 AM Re: The Pill [Re: Anonymous]
Chrissie Offline

Loc: The Gap, Brisbane, Qld Austral...
Chrissie Brisbane

Haven't been on here for so long, if I can help please feel free to ask.
Also DO NOT hesitate to contact

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/tpch/documents/shs_insert2.pdf
Any problems I will get them to assist you.
Regards

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information