Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19416 - 06/22/04 06:54 PM Massage, anyone?
jama Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This is not a very serious issue, but was wondering how other people with ichthyosis feel. I recently won a weekend spa package, including deep tissue massage, manicure and pedicure...sounds very nice, but I gave it to someone else, as I know I would feel self conscious about exposing my skin. And I do have very dry and hyperlineated feet and hands(I probably could use the manicures and pedicures, but I don't think there would be much improvement). Everyone thought I was such a wonderful person giving this gift away, but it was really to save myself from feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed.
Has anyone had a professional massage, and were you able to relax, and was it beneficial for your skin?
I have mild to severe ichthyosis vulgaris.
jama

#19417 - 06/23/04 01:53 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
Danusia Offline

Loc: canada
Jama, are your hands and feet hyperlineated on the palms / soles or on the tops? I also have vulgaris and mine are bad on the tops - just wondering ... Anyway, I absolutely know where you're coming from about the spa package. I once had a gift certificate for a manicure that I wasted because I just couldn't bring myself to go, although I put it off and put it off, thinking I'd eventually get the courage. But I am getting better because i did eventually go for a pedicure and it turned out OK. I warned the esthetician about my dry skin and it didn't seem to be a big deal at all, although she did try to push all kinds of products at me, which I resisted by saying that I only use what my derm perscribes. As for the massage, I've also finally gotten the courage to go (again, a gift certificate). I waited until the week before the certificate expired, though! Again, my fears turned out to be unfounded and I would definitely say go for it!

#19418 - 06/23/04 12:19 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
jama Offline

Thanks Danusia...maybe I will get brave enough to get a massage the next time....
Yes, my hands and feet are wrinkly, and my palms and soles are also dry and wrinkly. I am very self conscious about my hands, such as when shaking a person's hand. I find Dermal Therapy products work the best for me, as far as softening the skin. Of course, nothing helps lessen the appearance of the wrinkly hands.
jama

#19419 - 06/28/04 12:21 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I've had massages at several spas. It takes a little extra explaining (which is extra energy and effort on your part, the exact opposite of what you're supposed to at the spa for ) but otherwise everyone I've encountered is just fine with it. I found it very relaxing and actually somewhat helpful to my skin (you can work with the spa personnel to pick out massage oils/lotions that would be hydrating).
Generally, they want to be helpful. I've not had to endure much of a sales pitch; once they get a better understanding of what exactly my ichthyosis is, they just move on and treat me like anyone else. If anything, maybe I've gotten some extra sympathy and what seemed like extra care as a result.

Having said all that, I have passed up several opportunities for massages because I just didn't want to expend that extra energy explaining my situation. Of course, right AFTER I've had a massage I swear I'll never hesitate to go again because I felt so great

#19420 - 07/13/04 02:55 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
jama Offline

Danusia...I was just wondering what part of Canada you reside in.
From reading some of the postings, I think you and I have a lot of similar concerns e.g. effects of aging on our already 'aged' skin. If you would like to email me, my address is m.j.brentnell@sympatico.ca.
I have never met another woman with IV, but I do have two brothers and one son with the disorder.
jama

#19421 - 07/27/04 02:09 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Sorry to jump in so late but I thought I would throw my two cents in.
I NEVER miss a chance to go to the local spa here (my sister-in-law gets me half-price because she works there!). I have never encountered a problem with the staff regarding my skin. In fact, they see it as a challenge to make me feel better than normal and usually sympathize with my skin problem.
If you are thinking about a spa day or the like, call or drop by for a tour. Spas LOVE giving tours to let you see the facility and get comfortable and while you are on the tour, you can usually work your skin problem into the conversation and they will try to find a regime that will work for you.

#19422 - 07/27/04 03:51 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Jama,

This discussion reminded me of how much I like massages. So I got one in Kansas City, right after the FIRST conference! Indeed, it felt great and I was treated very well (no big deal at all, explaining my skin). Chris (my hubby) got one too -- his first ever! I think he's hooked; he can't wait to get another one here at home.

So, thanks for the encouragement.

Laura

#19423 - 07/30/04 07:24 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
bda guy Offline

Loc: bermuda
Hi from Diana,

I response to your post, I really loved getting a massage. One thing to remember is to let people know when they are pressing too hard. That happened to me. They eased up and my goodness did it feel gooood!! I fell asleep afterwards, though. I want to get another one. Hope this helps.
Diana Gilbert

------------------

#19424 - 01/30/05 09:23 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
I absolutely understand your reticence regarding having a massage.
I finally plucked up the courage and explained to the the masseuse that my skin would suck up all the moisture and that rubbing too hard may make the skin come off.
She actually used a milk bath product instead of the oil and it was WONDERFUL! I have gone back since and I have found them very understanding.
I would recommend that you give it a shot!

#19425 - 02/08/05 04:30 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
robinlynn9901 Offline

Loc: Scotia, NY, USA
I'm not brave enough to go for a massage and likely will never be. Its interesting hearing that Ichthyosis and massages go together. I have EHK and always thought that a massage would rip my skin. I though about it and only imagined my body becoming sore from it. Its neat to hear that it's not the case. thanx.

#19426 - 08/30/05 06:16 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
BG Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
I went to a day spa recently and had the full package - which i can only afford very rarely! - but as well as massage it was a full body scrub. You need to get nude, it's a korean bath house actually, women and men separate, and you can soak in ginseng baths while waiting.

It was the best thing ever! Well the scrub mainly because my skin has never felt so soft and looked so darn fantastic and glowing and smooth! next time i will prob just get the scrub without massage so i can afford it easier but if you get a chance, bite your self conciousness and go it because you will feel in heaven afterwards! I wish i had a little korean woman in my bathroom every day!

#19427 - 10/27/05 02:12 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
REALLY, ARE MASSAGES OK FOR people who have EHK...

I was certain that it would rip my skin open...My mother tried to put my back into place on the weekend, and that riped my skin down my spine...

are we talking about people who have alot of scale with their EHK ? because I imagine that the scale would act as a protective barrier...

But what about when the skin has thinned out...my skin rips so easily now alot of the scale has gone from my arms, shoulders, etc..

Can someone confirm/disconfirm this for me
And advise whether we should leave our clothes on to protect skin from softening from skin to skin contact...

Thanks
Pauline.

#19428 - 11/05/05 09:26 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
Linda Evich Offline

Loc: Bellingham WA USA
Oh Massages - I went through a phase of 3-4 years when I had an 1 1/2 hours massage "religiously" - I was fortunate to get them at no cost through insurance benefits, I only gave them up when that benefit went away.

What I did was contact several massage therapists and did phone interviews and explained over the phone about EHK w/ it's associated problems and basically listened for the person who was eager for a challenge. I discovered a marvelous therapist who not only was highly skilled, but like someone said earlier, wanted to make me feel better. Initially, she went exceedingly slow, asking equestions as she moved over my skin. I found my back to be the biggest sore spot, literally. But she useds a rocking technique where she was able to work the musculoskeletal with minimal rubbing or sliding over my skin. We had a very give and take relationship and I must say that I learned the delightful gift of trusting turning the care of my bod over to the care of another knowing that she consistently treated me w/ dignity and gentleness. It was a lovely gift. I don't know about anyone else, but I've always been a craver of touch but have a hard time trusting to any great degreee. It was very nurturing and reaffirming to have such total acceptance from this high level of physical contact. Believe me, and I would venture to guess many understand this, if Dana had shown any resistance or hesitation, I'd have known it in a heart beat and the experience would have been just another disappointment, but thanks be to God, she was the genuine article.

So having said all that-yep, if y'all havent noticed, I'm pretty yappy, I'd say that regardless of the state of the skin condition, the opportunity for a uniquely satisfying experience is great. talk w/ the person who would be giving the massage by phone first. If you're like me, my BS radar is mighty high and can especially tell by voice and demeanor if I'm going to be comfortable w/ a person or not.

#19429 - 11/06/05 02:40 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Wow, that sounds like heaven, and a one in a million soul...

I too know straight away when people are funny with my EHK...I have that problem with hairdressers, but have finally found one who is fine...and when that happens you stick to them like glue.

My husband has massages for his Cerebral Palsy, and I would just love to have them too...your experience sounds very promising...and reassuring...

thanks
Pauline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information