Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19416 - 06/22/04 06:54 PM Massage, anyone?
jama Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This is not a very serious issue, but was wondering how other people with ichthyosis feel. I recently won a weekend spa package, including deep tissue massage, manicure and pedicure...sounds very nice, but I gave it to someone else, as I know I would feel self conscious about exposing my skin. And I do have very dry and hyperlineated feet and hands(I probably could use the manicures and pedicures, but I don't think there would be much improvement). Everyone thought I was such a wonderful person giving this gift away, but it was really to save myself from feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed.
Has anyone had a professional massage, and were you able to relax, and was it beneficial for your skin?
I have mild to severe ichthyosis vulgaris.
jama

#19417 - 06/23/04 01:53 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
Danusia Offline

Loc: canada
Jama, are your hands and feet hyperlineated on the palms / soles or on the tops? I also have vulgaris and mine are bad on the tops - just wondering ... Anyway, I absolutely know where you're coming from about the spa package. I once had a gift certificate for a manicure that I wasted because I just couldn't bring myself to go, although I put it off and put it off, thinking I'd eventually get the courage. But I am getting better because i did eventually go for a pedicure and it turned out OK. I warned the esthetician about my dry skin and it didn't seem to be a big deal at all, although she did try to push all kinds of products at me, which I resisted by saying that I only use what my derm perscribes. As for the massage, I've also finally gotten the courage to go (again, a gift certificate). I waited until the week before the certificate expired, though! Again, my fears turned out to be unfounded and I would definitely say go for it!

#19418 - 06/23/04 12:19 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
jama Offline

Thanks Danusia...maybe I will get brave enough to get a massage the next time....
Yes, my hands and feet are wrinkly, and my palms and soles are also dry and wrinkly. I am very self conscious about my hands, such as when shaking a person's hand. I find Dermal Therapy products work the best for me, as far as softening the skin. Of course, nothing helps lessen the appearance of the wrinkly hands.
jama

#19419 - 06/28/04 12:21 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I've had massages at several spas. It takes a little extra explaining (which is extra energy and effort on your part, the exact opposite of what you're supposed to at the spa for ) but otherwise everyone I've encountered is just fine with it. I found it very relaxing and actually somewhat helpful to my skin (you can work with the spa personnel to pick out massage oils/lotions that would be hydrating).
Generally, they want to be helpful. I've not had to endure much of a sales pitch; once they get a better understanding of what exactly my ichthyosis is, they just move on and treat me like anyone else. If anything, maybe I've gotten some extra sympathy and what seemed like extra care as a result.

Having said all that, I have passed up several opportunities for massages because I just didn't want to expend that extra energy explaining my situation. Of course, right AFTER I've had a massage I swear I'll never hesitate to go again because I felt so great

#19420 - 07/13/04 02:55 AM Re: Massage, anyone?
jama Offline

Danusia...I was just wondering what part of Canada you reside in.
From reading some of the postings, I think you and I have a lot of similar concerns e.g. effects of aging on our already 'aged' skin. If you would like to email me, my address is m.j.brentnell@sympatico.ca.
I have never met another woman with IV, but I do have two brothers and one son with the disorder.
jama

#19421 - 07/27/04 02:09 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Sorry to jump in so late but I thought I would throw my two cents in.
I NEVER miss a chance to go to the local spa here (my sister-in-law gets me half-price because she works there!). I have never encountered a problem with the staff regarding my skin. In fact, they see it as a challenge to make me feel better than normal and usually sympathize with my skin problem.
If you are thinking about a spa day or the like, call or drop by for a tour. Spas LOVE giving tours to let you see the facility and get comfortable and while you are on the tour, you can usually work your skin problem into the conversation and they will try to find a regime that will work for you.

#19422 - 07/27/04 03:51 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Jama,

This discussion reminded me of how much I like massages. So I got one in Kansas City, right after the FIRST conference! Indeed, it felt great and I was treated very well (no big deal at all, explaining my skin). Chris (my hubby) got one too -- his first ever! I think he's hooked; he can't wait to get another one here at home.

So, thanks for the encouragement.

Laura

#19423 - 07/30/04 07:24 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
bda guy Offline

Loc: bermuda
Hi from Diana,

I response to your post, I really loved getting a massage. One thing to remember is to let people know when they are pressing too hard. That happened to me. They eased up and my goodness did it feel gooood!! I fell asleep afterwards, though. I want to get another one. Hope this helps.
Diana Gilbert

------------------

#19424 - 01/30/05 09:23 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
I absolutely understand your reticence regarding having a massage.
I finally plucked up the courage and explained to the the masseuse that my skin would suck up all the moisture and that rubbing too hard may make the skin come off.
She actually used a milk bath product instead of the oil and it was WONDERFUL! I have gone back since and I have found them very understanding.
I would recommend that you give it a shot!

#19425 - 02/08/05 04:30 PM Re: Massage, anyone?
robinlynn9901 Offline

Loc: Scotia, NY, USA
I'm not brave enough to go for a massage and likely will never be. Its interesting hearing that Ichthyosis and massages go together. I have EHK and always thought that a massage would rip my skin. I though about it and only imagined my body becoming sore from it. Its neat to hear that it's not the case. thanx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information