Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1938 - 07/04/03 11:59 PM SSI at a young age.
R Offline

This probably isn't the right bbs but I don't know of any others that could help. I got SSI when I was 20 years old and I'm about to turn 22 and really dont want to be on SSI the rest of my life. I heard that being on SSI will limit me severely in what I want to do with my life with career choices. This worries me alot. If anyone knows anything about this I would like to know.

#1939 - 07/08/03 12:45 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
No, being on SSI doesn't limit your career choices for the rest of your life. In fact, because you're on SSI, you have some benefits available to you that not everyone else does. Call up Social Security to discuss vocational rehabilitation options. I believe the federal government has several programs to folks on SSI get the training they need to be able to work and get off SSI.

I would also suggest contacting Goodwill. They offer vocational rehab programs that don't necessarily involve you working in one of their stores or donation centers and the same is true of St. Vincent DePaul. I have worked for St. Vincent's as an office temp for over a year. They sent me on jobs with the state, with various universities, and the local utility company. Goodwill and St. Vincent's will provide you with free training if you meet their qualifications and I believe since you're on SSI, you automatically qualify.

Also try contacting your local employment department to get information on their vocational rehab department. Every county in Oregon has one, to my knowledge.

If you're interested in going to a 4 year school, I also believe that there are an awful lot of scholarships available to you since you're on SSI, and frankly if you're living off SSI and other forms of social assitance, you will probably qualify for more financial aid grants (money you do not have to pay back) than loans.

As I don't know what field you're interested in going into, I can't give you more specific information, however, I would encourage you to explore all your options. You may not get the help you want to go into your chosen profession right away, but whatever options are open to you could at least get you started on a path where you can eventually move over to your chosen profession.

I would at least start talking with social security. Or rather, go to their web site www.socialsecurity.gov so you don't have to sit on hold on the phone.

#1940 - 08/13/03 08:21 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

Loc: Ogden,Utah
R I was woundering how you got SSI. Did you hire a lawyer, or did you apply yourself? If you applied yourself did you get turned down first and try agai? I am trying to get it for my little girl. She is 5 and has LI. I have two other kids and my husband is the only one that works. Doctors co-pays and lotion bills are getting a bit spendy. I would get a job but the youngest is 6 months and I also take care of my husbands aunt that is in a wheel chair. Thanks in advance for any info.

Shauna Johnson
"Choose a job that you LOVE and
you'll never WORK a day in your life!"

#1941 - 08/13/03 09:51 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Robin Offline

Loc: Irmo, South Carolina USA
I have applied atleast 3 times and always turned down....the reason is never very clear to me but when I see people who don't deserve it that get it without barely trying, it makes me feel like the system is biased in some way.

#1942 - 08/14/03 04:09 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Chandra Offline

For those of you who have applied and been rejected, there is an option available for you. There are attorneys that specialize in social security award cases. After you have been rejected once, look up "attorney" in the phone book, and then look for "social security" within the attorney section. Most social security attorneys will only charge 1/3 or less of the back award you recieve from social security if it is finally awarded. If you don't get an award, they don't charge anything. I would, however, have this clarified from the start and make sure you read everything you sign at the attorney's office.

If it's been at least a year since you last applied for social security, you may have to start the process all over again.

Some of you may not know that ichthyosis is now on the list social security keeps of disabilties that they most commonly will award benefits to. That doesn't mean it's guaranteed, but it means your chance is improved somewhat.

Yesterday I saw my dermatologist and she suggested I send some pictures to social security showing what I look like when I work full time (I look awful) and what I look like when I don't work (pretty darn good). If you haven't done that, I would, and be especially sure to take pictures of any areas that crack. I really feel that people have no idea what it's like to have a skin disorder all over their whole body like many of us do. The worst they can imagine is a sunburn on a few spots, so pictures might help a lot.

#1943 - 08/14/03 05:42 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

Thanks for the helpful info. I will have to take some pictures and send those. Great idea Chandra.

Shauna Johnson

#1944 - 08/15/03 03:22 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
R Offline

Sorry that I didn't respond to this sooner. I wasn't aware that anyone replied. I got SSI the first time through because of mental health and ichthyosis secondary. I was in a mental hospital for almost a month and couldn't go back to work so ended up in a sort of halfway house for people with mental disabilities and couldn't really handle the people at the place so I took to living anywhere besides there until they eventually kicked me out for not being there. After that I started seeing a privite mental therapist who also happened to work for the state and was very reputable. I think all these factors contributed to me getting SSI the first time I applied for it. I honestly didn't do any of the work. The conviction my dad had not to support me in any way led to him seeking out any means for me to survive on my own so I really wouldn't be of much help telling you how to recieve it. I've heard though that for each time you are turned down the chances of ever being accepted for it decrease. I'd also like to say that it isn't really a pleasant life to live when you only get 540 dollars a month to live off of not to mention the stigma of being labled disabled as well as the loss of oppurtunities and quality of life I have and will eventually have later on in life. I also have a history of depression which led to me seeing phsychologists and being put in a teen ward from the age of 12. I think that contributed more to it then just having a skin condition.

#1945 - 08/15/03 03:29 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Chandra Offline

R,
My SSI application is also based on my depression and post-traumatic stress. Lack of support from family is also HUGE factor in how well we cope with having ichthyosis or any other problems with our health, as well as day to day issues everyone faces.

When I first started reading and posting on this board three years ago, I was blown away by all the parents and sibling that post and ask questions. Everyone seemed so supportive and I just couldn't fathom it! I was extremely sad and also very very jealous and even at the same time, thrilled. I was sad that I hadn't had that kind of support growing up, jealous over it too, but thrilled that others with ichthyosis do have families that are very involved in helping them care for themselves physically and emotionally. At last year's conference I noticed that ALL of the kids, if not from the first day, by the last day of the conference were so much more self confident than I ever was as a child. I would see parents run up to their children and play with them, cuddle and hold them, and hold their hands taking them all around, or else the children tugging mom and dad wherever they wanted to go smile Then there were the adults there... wow, what wonderful people! I thought that was so great that their spouses and parents came too! That was thrilling! My older sister offered to come with me and I think the next time I go, I will take her up on it as I do think she'd get something out of it, too.

If you really feel that your child should be on disability, especially in preparation for the future, then do not be discouraged if you get rejected at first. Applying is a very difficult process. There is A LOT of paperwork involved and you have to have friends and family involved as well as interview sources. But, I have yet to hear of someone who's ended up with an attorney losing. I'm sure some do, but I think they're few and far between. I don't think most folks realize that those attorneys work off of a one time commission of what's awarded in back benefits, and if an attorney doesn't do that, don't work with that attorney.

If you are searching for an SSI attorney, you might consider asking some physicians if they know of a good one, or if there is a disability services group somewhere in your state (either government run or volunteer, we have both in Oregon) that could give you some names.

Also, keep photocopies of the paperwork you send in. That way you have things to refer back to if you have to reapply and you can add more information (always a good idea). Don't think any detail is too trivial. Sometimes asking folks who don't live with you what they noticed is very important, so consider calling up your child's teachers, or babysitters and ask them to describe everything that might be possibly related to the child's ichthyosis that seems different from a child without a disability of any kind. The same is true for you adults, talk to your co-workers, neighbors, friends, relatives. My neighbors and friends were very helpful as they often said "Well, did you bring up xyz? And I notice xyz when you're under these circumstances.... and you really seem ... when ...." I'm sure you get the idea. Some people won't have any input, but you might be surprised at how much folks do notice about how you act and appear to be feeling because they're concerned for you and care about you.

#1946 - 08/15/03 06:14 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

Well I have the phone interview on the 26 of this month. I have been up all morning getting phone numbers and prescriptions listed. What a job. I am sure I will be turned down, but me and the husband don't care how much a lawyer will cost as long as it will help Ryley with the things she needs. Her cooling vest is to small and she needs a new one. Like most with Ich she can't bee in the heat for to long. She gets in the car and by 10 min of driving she is beat red. Her feet are so split it hurts to walk. So I buy selfcling wrap like it is going out of style. Her hands split also but much worse in the winter, then she cries cause it hurts to even hold a crayon. All this sounds familer to parents who have kids with Ich or those of you that have it yourself.

We went to Seattle last year and ryley had a Blast. Theses conferences are great and the whole family is going to go to every one no matter what. It is the one time Ryley gets to play with kids and not have to explain what she has. If SSI is going to make things a little easier for her then I am going to keep trying to get it no matter what it takes. Thanks for everybodies input.

Shauna Johnson

#1947 - 08/16/03 01:42 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shauna,
Let me know how the phone interview goes. I've been through it before, next will be an interview where you bring all your medical records and they xerox them all, and question you to no end. I was denied many months ago and requested an administrative law hearing, I thought they had forgotten about me until yesterday. I just received my appointment date, Septemeber 11th, 911, hope the date is just coincidence. It's going to be at a hotel in Los Angeles, I was thinking I'd wear shorts and a tshirt and thongs with no socks. Instead I'll just bring alot of pictures and wear something that I can easilt remove if they want a closer look. Wish me luck and good luck to you.
Keith.

#1948 - 08/16/03 04:33 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

Sounds like a good idea. Pictures are good but nothing can beat showing the real thing I would think. If I have to get to that point I would do the same. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Shauna & Ryley
Johnson

#1949 - 09/03/03 10:30 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
Jennifer F Offline

Loc: Randleman N.C. USA
hi
i have ssi. i have been getting my whole life but when i turned 18 i had to apply for myself i never got turned down. but i applyed in person so i met with a socail worker and just told them the boat im in. and i didnt get turned down. but now i dont want to be on it i WANT TO WORK! but my feelings on that is on another subject on this board. but if you tell them whud you go through and its hard for you to do certain things you really shouldnt have no problems gettin it. well thats hear in north carolina so im not sure about every where elts.
SIgned jennifer

#1950 - 09/13/03 12:20 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well,
I just had my administrative law hearing for my appeal of their denial. I took pics of my skin that morning, printed them out, downloaded the EHK description off of FIRST and went to my appeal. I admitted them in as evidence since throughout this whole thing not one doctor has taken a pic of me. I think things went well, they asked alot of questions about my conditions. It was very informal, in a hotel room, just a judge and a recorder. The recorder walked us to the door when it was over and told us outside that admitting those pictures was a good idea. I won't know their decision for awhile, it will be in writing and there is a back log I am told. I'll let you know what happens.
Keith.

#1951 - 09/13/03 03:27 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

I just had my phone interview and will not hear from them for at least four months I was told. I have been taking pic since the day Ryley was born. I have put together and album just for this. That way if I have to appeal (wich I am sure I will) I already have the pics. We take new ones every week just so they can see how quick her skin can go from good to bad and how the splits can go from one to four. I have pulled out all recipts for lotions co-pays for doctors and video taped Ryley trying to walk with all her splits in her feet. I just hope all I have done is enough to get SSI for her. Good luck Keith! Keep us posted.

Shauna & Ryley
Johnson

#1952 - 11/02/03 12:38 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got my SSI decision in the mail yesterday, my address was handwritten on the envelope, not a good sign. The state appointed doctor who examined me said I had some limited movement from my arthritis and appeared to have skin ichthiotic skin lesions, what a moron. My orthaopedist said that I have advanced degenerative arthritis in my hip unheard of at my age. Of course my derm was with me all the way. I'll end the suspense, the judge who I took pictures to of my skin for my hearing overruled the state doctor and sided with me. I WON I WON I WON! I can't believe it, I was all ready to be turned down and was arranging a lawyer to see this through. I hope everybody else has the same luck I did.
Keith.

#1953 - 11/02/03 01:41 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
R Offline

Hey kieth I'm glad you got SSI. In my case I had to say that I had a mental disorder above my skin disorder because it's so uncommon even though I've been to several psychiatrists and have absolutly no thought disorders aside from depression from having and living with ichthyosis. It's very unnerving having "accountable behavioral" on every form I recieve. It's a very tough situation we're in and medical ignorance makes it even harder. It's also sad that prescription lotions are not medically covered with the insurance. I'm happy to hear you got it though. Congrats

[This message has been edited by R (edited November 02, 2003).]

#1954 - 11/02/03 05:50 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

Congrats Keith! I am still waiting to see if we get it for Ryley. I sent detailed pics of her cuts on feet and hands and about a three page story of Ryley's care and her life. I included evry detail even how family vacation are when they can be taken. I hope we get as lucky as you, but if not I am getting a lawyer. Once again congrats!

#1955 - 11/07/03 06:54 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
RT Offline

Loc: ft.jennings,oh usa
Congrats Keith on getting your SSI. I have been waiting since July 2002.They denied me twice so I got a lawyer last January.The lawyer said that it would take 5-6 months to get a hearing.I called the lawyer in Sept and they said that there is a back log,so I am still waiting.Just can't believe it is taking so long.I am really starting to get depressed but I will hang in there.Again congrats

#1956 - 11/08/03 03:09 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
Anonymous
Unregistered

RT,
I applied in late september of 2002. I can't remember how long it was beore they denied me. I filed my appeal and probably waited 3 months for a hearing date. After getting a date and going to the hearing, I waited another two months for a decision. Slowly(unfortunately) but surely they get around to you.
Keith.

#1957 - 11/08/03 04:49 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Chandra Offline

Keith, I am so happy for you! That is great news. Supposedly SSI will be done with my application and will be mailing me paperwork next week telling me if I got approved or not. I am going to call on Monday and see if they have indeed reached a decision, even if they don't want to tell me on the phone.

What's funny to me is that they had me supply all these references beyond my doctors, friends, former co-workers, family, etc and so forth and they didn't contact a single person other than my docs. All my docs say that's a good sign, as all four of them strongly advocated for me to be on disability and said I should have been on it years ago. So, cross your fingers for me, but don't hold your breath!

#1958 - 01/15/04 06:36 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

Ryley was turned down for SSI, no big surprise to me realy. Oh well now I have an attorney coming over Thur to help. I decided I wasn't going to do it myself this time and called him two weeks ago. I hope this helps. I sent tons of pics with the application but still was turned down, but I have been taking pics every month since I applied. Ryleys teacher told me yesterday that Ryley is only holding her pencil to write with her thumb and index finger. She can't bend the other three fingers. I feel so bad for her. I will let everybody know how it goes talking to the attorney

Shauna

#1959 - 01/15/04 01:00 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shauna,
I'm sorry to hear of Ryley's denial, don't worry though, I know she'll get it. I have spoken to several people who all say you automatically get turned down the first time, almost like an administrative process. I was lucky enough at my appeal to have an elderly administrative law judge who had never seen anything like ichthyosis and basically guided me through to whole hearing. He asked me many questions and when I was finished answering he clarified them in his own words for the record(it was all being recorded). The lawyer will definently get it for you. As far as Ryley's problems with holding a pencil go, I also had difficulties holding pencils when I first learned how to write. They gave me one of those pencils that is thick and fat so I could grip it better and it seemed to help. After my fingers were able to grip that pencil, I slowly moved down to a normal one. My handwriting is terrible but after taking drafting for years my printing is excellent. Try getting her the bigger pencil, that way she can still be going through the motions and developing her motor skills for writing.
Keith.

#1960 - 01/19/04 12:48 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
This goes back to the originial post by R.
So this is essentially how it was explained to me. I had a roommate for several years who only had one arm, three fingers and no legs.
He said that the problem is you go out and you can't find a job. You face discrimination, fear, whatever. You draw SSI. Then say out of nowhere the job that you have always wanted comes along and it's YOURS. You make too much money to draw SSI so you lose it. If, in a few years or many years, that job goes away and you can't replace it with other employment and you go back to SSI, it might be difficult to get it because you have proven that were employable. SSI doesn't want you using it as your means of support just because you are between jobs, it's meant to take care of you because you can't GET a job.
SSI doesn't look too kindly on people who come and go in and out of the system, using it more like unemployment than the benefit it is for.
My roommate told me that when he hit his early 20's he essentially had to make a choice: Be on SSI or do whatever it takes to get a job and stay employed for as long as possible and save the SSI for the day when working is too much for his body. His choice is the same choice I made. I went through the state's vocational rehabilitation system and went to college. I studied, I interned, I even went to college overseas. Now when someone won't give me a job, a team of state lawyers are standing there asking the company "Why?" Discrimination is not something I worry about any longer because it's just too damn hard for a company to discriminate against me.
When I fill out an application, which I haven't had to do in years now, I put right on it that I am disabled by the state. The employer gets a tax break and frankly, I get preferential treatment.
So this is my information about the whole SSI thing, am I misinformed?

#1961 - 01/22/04 07:44 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Chandra Offline

It sounds like what Glori's roommate experienced is probably what it was like before 1999. I know that when I applied back in 97-98 and was denied, everything Glori related was the case, it really was an "all or nothing" situation. Supposedly that is no longer the case. There was a reform act passed in 1999 regarding folks on SSI and returning to work.

I am not clear on all the details but I know you do not suddenly get dropped from SSI if you go back to work. Before taking my word as gospel, though, anyone who's on SSI should check with the social security administration. Here is the link for their "Ticket to Work" program http://www.ssa.gov/work/Ticket/ticket_info.html

The reform act was to encourage folks to work if possible, even if it's only a partial return, and still be able to get some benefits.

One of the things I saw on the FAQ page was that one's Medicare coverage period is exteneded even if you are working. I know that is one of the biggest problems folks face is losing their medical coverage if they go back to work as not all employers offer insurance, and if they do, the employee has to pay for it, or there's a really long waiting period before it kicks in.

I was unable to find more detailed information on the web site, so if you're on SSI, I would recommend making an appointment with your local office and going in and having someone explain it to you. I got some paperwork on it a month or two ago, and I chucked it in the trash since I'm not yet supposed to even consider volunteering once a month per doctor's orders.

#1962 - 05/13/04 04:27 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
ShaunaJ Offline

Well I found out today that Ryley will now get SSI. We were denied at first but I then hired an attorney and got her doctors to write letters and now here we are. I was so excited to hear that they granted SSI to her. It will really help with all her medical costs. Just thought I would let everybody know. Thanks to everybody who helped out with ideas on how to make a strong case for her.

Love Shauna

#1963 - 05/13/04 07:27 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Congratulations Shauna

Riley sure deserves this...

Send my love to her for me...

Love Pauline.

#1964 - 05/13/04 02:24 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
Les Avakian Offline

Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Shauna and Family
Many congragulations to Ryley and your whole family on qualifying to receive social security benefits.I am happy you got legal representation and doctors written explanations to prove your case.Take care Shauna and say hi to your family for me.
Your central cal ich friend,
Les

#1965 - 05/14/04 04:16 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
Finally, some good news! Congrats, and I hope it helps out.

#1966 - 05/14/04 04:25 PM Re: SSI at a young age.
AngV Offline

Loc: Sartell, MN
Hi everyone - I wanted to comment on this post because I used to be a Paralegal when I lived in Virginia and I handled SSD/SSI cases. As for everyone trying to get SSI for their kids, I know it is very hard to get SSI anyway and for children it is even harder. The system is really messed up in how they decide to grant SSD/SSI. My advice to anyone applying is to get an attorney right after the first denial and have them file the reconsideration as well as the request for hearing. The process is long - if you get denied you can pretty much count on at least one year from the date of initial filing to get your hearing and if that gets denied and you file with the Appeals Council it takes about 18-24 months longer. Like I said, the SSA has a big problem with their process and I feel for all of you going through it. As long as you have doctors on your side willing to document the problems and limitations you should be successfull and I hope all goes well for you. If anyone has any other specific questions about your case please feel free to email me - I used to have about 200 cases at a time and I dealt with the SSA all the time.

I also wanted to ask a question, and I hope no one feels offended but I am just curious to the adults who have posted who are trying to get disability. What is it that is driving you to get it. Are you unable to find work due to your skin or is your skin so bad that it makes you unable to work, or is it something other than your skin. I only ask because my EHK is pretty severe and I dont feel that in the work force it has stopped me in any way. Sure - I think that if I went in to an interview with a skirt or short sleeves I may not get the job, due to ignorance, but I do not let people know about my condition until they ask me about it. To me it does not hamper my ability to do the work so it is not something that I feel i need to discuss right away. When they notice and ask, I tell them and I have never had a problem. I guess my curiosity is that maybe there are other problems I may run into in the future that I do not know about. I have never considered filing for disability but is there something out there that I do not know about EHK that is going to hamper my ability in the future??

#1967 - 05/15/04 12:23 AM Re: SSI at a young age.
R Offline

Hey AngV,

I'm an young adult on SSI (22) and the topic starter for this thread. I'm on SSI mostly due to problems with anxiety and depression which I've had most of my life more so than just ichyhtosis even though I have it listed as a cause of my being on SSI. I believe I had some luck and a bit of privilege getting SSI because I received it the first time I applied for it. The only problem is now that I want to get off SSI but I don't have the financial stability and I worry that a simple background check on me would throw my chances of employment out the window, so to speak, due to being on SSI for depression and ichthyosis. So my problem is exactly opposite to others. I desperately want off SSI and don't know how to go about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information