Topic Options
#19174 - 11/15/00 08:45 PM Rubbed Raw
Lois Offline

Loc: Hollister CA USA
Anyone else having problems with seams on clothing or irritation from your bra? I've tried "all cotton" bras but still have to find old pieces of soft material to sew on the seams and the back of the section where the hooks are. This is sort of embarassing when I go to the Dr because of my "patchwork" bras. All clothing is irritating these days - especially anything with spandex in it. I wear my husbands old t-shirts around the house when I'm alone but even have to wear those wrong side out because the seams rub me raw. I use Lachydrin 12%, eucerin cream, plus lubriderm lotion already. I even bought eucerin plus and I'm still raw.

#19175 - 11/16/00 12:41 AM Re: Rubbed Raw
Nikkster Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Hi Lois,

No, I've not really had that problem except when my skin is too sensitive from my lotions. Is it possible that the Lachydrin
%12 is too strong? I believe that the Eucerin Plus also contains an alpha-hydroxy acid, which may contribute to the oversensitivity to your skin. The combination of both the Eucerin Plus and Lachydrin %12 may be causing the rawness. Before I go any further, what type of ichthyosis do you have? I have lamellar, and rarely have problems with my skin being raw. Unless, as I mentioned earlier, I exfoliate too much or have used an acidic lotion that was too strong for me. Have you tried using the regular Eucerin with the Lachydrin %12? How long have you had this problem? Maybe you could try reducing your percentage to %10 to see if that helps.

#19176 - 11/16/00 12:54 AM Re: Rubbed Raw
Lois Offline

Hi Nikkster and thanks for the reply. Sheesh...I hope I'm doing this right, since it's my first reply.

Anyway, I was told I have ichthyosis by the dermatologist. He never mentioned what kind, but from all I've researched, I'm guessing vulgaris. It doesn't seem to matter what I use(I've tried just about everything) but I do notice that if I don't "prepare" certain areas like the back of my knees, insides of elbows etc with Eucerin before the lachydrin it will leave me burning and itching like crazy. I've heard it gets worse with age because skin dries out as you get older anyway and I am getting close to 50.<gulp>
Quote:
Originally posted by Nikkster:
Hi Lois,

No, I've not really had that problem except when my skin is too sensitive from my lotions. Is it possible that the Lachydrin
%12 is too strong? I believe that the Eucerin Plus also contains an alpha-hydroxy acid, which may contribute to the oversensitivity to your skin. The combination of both the Eucerin Plus and Lachydrin %12 may be causing the rawness. Before I go any further, what type of ichthyosis do you have? I have lamellar, and rarely have problems with my skin being raw. Unless, as I mentioned earlier, I exfoliate too much or have used an acidic lotion that was too strong for me. Have you tried using the regular Eucerin with the Lachydrin %12? How long have you had this problem? Maybe you could try reducing your percentage to %10 to see if that helps.

#19177 - 11/16/00 04:50 PM Re: Rubbed Raw
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
How about all cotton sports bras that have no hooks or real seams?
I know they aren't terribly supportive, but I bet they would be more comfortable. I have good luck finding those at a Hanes outlet store we have here, but they also have a catalog that you can get. Check out www.hanes.com and see if maybe you can find something there.
I have the same problems with bras, but at least the 100% cotton ones are the lesser of two evils for me [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#19178 - 11/16/00 06:56 PM Re: Rubbed Raw
Lois Offline

Hi Glori~My current "patchwork" bra is a Hanes all cotton. I decided once I wasn't going to do all the sewing and tough it out. We were headed up to Oregon to visit relatives and before we even got 1/2 way there I'm pulling out "puffs plus" kleenex and stuffing them all around the elastic areas. All the way up there, I'm thinking I hope we don't have an accident - this is really going to be hard to explain in the ER. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem but glad to know someone else can relate. I get mine at an outlet too but will check out that website. Thanks!

#19179 - 11/20/00 08:03 PM Re: Rubbed Raw
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I get rubbed raw by bras too. The only kind I can wear, and I can't even wear them every day are some athletic style bras that have very wide (3") elastic around the ribcage. Wearing anything with an underwire is absolute murder. The bras that I can wear are available by catalogue, whose name I forget. If anyone wants the catalogue name, email me at impookie3@hotmail.com My solution for the days that I can't wear a bra but I want some additional coverage is either a cotton camisole, or a men's style "A" t-shirt.

#19180 - 11/21/00 05:17 AM Re: Rubbed Raw
Lois Offline

I agree sports bras are best, but I like that camisole idea too. I never thought of trying one. Thanks again to all of you for the input!

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information