Topic Options
#19111 - 10/02/00 10:49 AM Periods and ichthyosis
Carly Offline

Hiya, well, my second post and I am jumping in with the heavy stuff...
Periods.
Yucko.

Anyhow, I was wondering, do you find that using sanitary napkins affects your skin more than tampons do? I started using tampons a year ago, and have found my skin around that area to be much less scaly, and cleaner compared to when i used sanitary napkins.

Just wondering...
Carly

#19112 - 10/08/00 03:56 PM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
Nikkster Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Hi Carly,

I have never used tampons before, but I can see why they would make the skin around the area a whole lot cleaner. Would you reccommend them over using pads? Just wondering, 'cause I may haveta give them a try.

#19113 - 10/09/00 11:39 AM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
Carly Offline

Yes, i use both though,sometimes tampons hurt if my skin is too dry though.

#19114 - 10/09/00 07:04 PM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I too made the switch to tampons exclusively, and have had good results. As for the dryness, I don't know if you mean the internal or external dryness, but let's see if I can help.
If it's internal dryness, use KY or any other "personal lubricant" to help insert the tampon with minimal discomfort. If it's the external dryness, again, most personal lubricants can help alleviate that as well.
Don't worry about jumpin into the heavy stuff, nothing embarasses me anymore [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#19115 - 10/10/00 10:28 AM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
Carly Offline

Sometimes I put a dab of my vaseline on the end, it works ok.

Also, i have to be careful which soaps i use to wash around that area, I usually use microshield liquid soap.

carly

#19116 - 10/12/00 02:51 PM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Vaseline is not really advised for that sort of use, because it is a petroleum based product and, among other things, can trap and hold bacteria in places where you don't want it.
Try switching to a personal, water-based lubricant that is meant for this pupose (brands like KY or Astroglide), just to keep you healthy. We have enough bacterial problems without adding to them!

#19117 - 11/20/00 08:26 PM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
A good soap to use: Cetaphil antibacterial bar soap. It actually moisturizes my skin a little. The liquid soap is good, but isn't available in antibacterial format.

Yes, tampons make me a little dry after the first 2 days, but taking a bath each night helps that a lot so that all body parts concerned get soaked. If you prefer, shower head attachments work well too, but really make sure you keep yourself clean.

#19118 - 12/03/00 04:44 PM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
Barb Offline

Loc: Shelby Township, Michigan
I cannot believe it! I was diagnosed a few years ago with ICH (ICK) and never realized all the problems you can have and never thought they could be related! However, after some bad episodes from periods using pads, I too have switched over to tampons on a more regular basis! The pads were drying me out terribly and causing rashes... but now after using tampons, Im not having as much trouble. I do have internal dryness as well, but that doesnt seem to bother me as much. Thank you all for the great input!
Im new here and this site is wonderful!
Quote:
Originally posted by Carly:
Hiya, well, my second post and I am jumping in with the heavy stuff...
Periods.
Yucko.

Anyhow, I was wondering, do you find that using sanitary napkins affects your skin more than tampons do? I started using tampons a year ago, and have found my skin around that area to be much less scaly, and cleaner compared to when i used sanitary napkins.

Just wondering...
Carly

#19119 - 07/10/01 12:39 AM Re: Periods and ichthyosis
milomilk Offline

Loc: Melbourne,Australia
Thank god for tampons!After I eventually figured out how to get them in I have never looked back!Pads rubbed my skin absolutely raw and the blood stained the skin.I also use mirco-shield in that area for washing every day.
Cheers.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information