Hi guys,

I've been doing some housekeeping around the board lately. If you see a note on one of your old posts that says "Edited by Laura..." odds are very good that all I did was delete a very long quotation from a previous post that didn't seem to be needed in your message but took up a lot of room. So please don't worry what I did to your message [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I didn't edit the text of your original post, I only deleted the quote that didn't seem to be needed.

Which brings me to my favor...

PLEASE continue pouring your hearts out, and putting all the details and questions and ramblings that you want on this board about ichthyosis. It's so hard to find information about ichthyosis, and we're still at a point where some of the best information to be had comes from other people with ichthyosis. I don't want to discourage you in any way from sharing as much as you would like. However, when replying to a post with a quote, please consider whether using a quote is really needed (sometimes it really helps--if the messages have been very long, and you're only responding to one specific point, etc.) and if it is needed, if the entire post needs to be quoted, or rather only a few lines of it need to be quoted.

We're all used to hearing that "time is money." Well, when it comes to server space on the internet, space is money. And it's just me and Chris paying for this site to be available on the web. We do it because we want to, don't get me wrong. It's incredibly rewarding, and we feel privileged to be able to reach so many people so easily. But...we spent some of our limited budget on this bulletin board software because it was more reliable, and had a better archiving/searching capability. As more and more posts get archived on the boards, they take up more and more space.

We are totally committed to keeping every single one of the posts on this board archived and available indefinitely. However, that means that we really need to start thinking early on about doing some good housekeeping--eliminating duplicate posts, editing out quotations of long posts that don't really seem to add anything, etc. It sounds like a small thing, but it can make a HUGE difference in the amount of server space that this site takes up, which in turn translates directly into cost savings for us.

So, I want to repeat: do not feel like you need to censor yourself, or only post "important" stuff. Every little detail about ichthyosis is important. I'm just talking about cutting down on stuff that's an exact duplicate.

And speaking of server space...we plan on eating up alot of space this weekend, when we're finally going to post some new pictures that people have sent us for Show-N-Tell. I'll let you know as soon as they're posted [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited November 03, 2000).]