Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17160 - 05/08/08 11:11 PM Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
Martika Offline

Loc: Southern California
If you saw my post in General discussions, it turns out that my little boy not only has Down Syndrome but also EHK.

Whew... We also find out saturday if he has a heart defect.

What I wonder is if there has ever been a documented case of a baby with EHK AND down syndrome???

#17161 - 05/09/08 12:30 AM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
If you email FIRST, they might know of one. I know of a handful of families facing multiple disorders (such as ichthyosis and cerebral palsy, but that isn't a genetic problem), but EHK is so rare - 1 in 300,000 and D/S, depending on mom's age, affects 1/40 to 1/1000ish kids. You're around 30, so it's more like 1/600 or so for you. Multiply 300,000 x 600 and you get 1 in 180,000,000, which means there might be one other in the country alive right now, and the chances that it is a young person are pretty slim since many D/S babies are now aborted when it is discovered.

I can check Medline for you and see if this combo has been reported, but I doubt I'll find anything.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#17162 - 05/09/08 10:55 PM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
Martika Offline

Thanks for your reply. Actually I'm 21. So my D/S chances were like 1/1000. I'd appreciate you checking medline.

Abortion was suggested, but I could NEVER do it... PPl are even asking my mom Karen if I'm gonna abort, it really bothers me!

Definitely, I plan on loving this baby as much as possible!

#17163 - 05/10/08 04:25 AM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
Hearsay Offline

I checked, and no surprise, I found nothing. Even Google, the only times I found the two together were when they were listed as a series of random birth defects or medical web page indexes.

#17164 - 05/10/08 02:06 PM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
ericalopez Offline

Loc: san antonio, tx
Try not to get down about what people think you should do with your baby. I am sure you have thought about all that is in store for your child and their future as an adult when he will have to care for himself if you are not around. It is a big decision for you and Im sure you are making the right one for yourself whatever your plans might be.Keep your head up.

------------------
erica lopez
lauren 11-12-07
collodion baby

#17165 - 05/13/08 10:27 PM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
Martika Offline

erica~ thanks! Yes, I'm already making plans.

We have a case manager for him regarding the D/S, as well as an OBGYN and Ped. Dermatologist for when he's born so he'll have the best care possible!

It's funny, the last week he kicks more and more each day! I'm loving it but daddy still can't feel it. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

#17166 - 05/14/08 04:48 PM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
Hearsay Offline

It'll come soon. I'm 18 weeks now and at 17, I could feel it, but my husband couldn't. This week, if I lay on my stomach or raise my knees up and sort of squish the baby, he can feel it. By 20 weeks, you can put a remote or a plate on your stomach and watch the baby kick it off!

I'm glad that you've found a lot of support, since you are most likely alone with this particular combination of genetic problems. Fortunately, there is quite a bit of support in the D/S community, and of course you know what support is available among those of us with EHK or other types of ichthyosis.

#17167 - 06/15/08 02:33 AM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Cindie

sorry I haven't been on in ages...been very busy, and deliberately keeping off here, so I don't get distracted from study...

Listen when I did my disability degree, we studied the clinical aspects of disability, which included Down Syndrome...and I clearly remember that one of the symptoms/conditions that people who have D/S can have is ICHTHYOSIS.

I am sorry to hear that you got the double wammy...But you will be fine...with 3 generations of Ichthyosis under your belt, you will handle Downes Syndrome also...

From my experienfe of people who have Downes Syndrome...they are very loving caring people...I am not generalising here, of course everyone has unique personalities, and their moodfy, grumpy days...but I believe that the love ecpressedf is very unconditional...Get ready to have some very open arms, for the big hugs that you will/may receive...

Love Pauline...say hi to Mum...

#17168 - 06/15/08 02:47 AM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Cindie, I just went and got my book

Batshaw, Mark L. (1997) 4th Ed. Children with Disabilities. Paul H. Brookes Publishing. Baltimore, Maryland, USA.

"Severe skin conditions, mostly of the immune origin, are observed more frequently in individuals with Down syndrome...."

"By puberty , half or more of these individuals will experience atopic dermatitis (eczema), cheilitis (inflammation of the lips), ichthyosis (dry and scaly skin), onychomycosis (fungal infection of the nails), seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff), vitiligo (patches of depigmentation), and or xerosis (dryness of the eyes). Less commonly they have syringomas (sweat gland cysts) and alopecia areata (patchy hair loss) (Pueschel & Pueschel, 1992; Scherbehske, Benson, Rotchford, et al., 1990) in Batshaw (1997)"

Hope this is informative for you...although don't panic...about the list here...

Love Pauline
p.s. by the way there are much newer editions of this book now, but I don't have them...I did this clinical subject way back in 1999.

#17169 - 06/15/08 02:54 AM Re: Anyone ever hear of another baby with EHK AND Down Syndrome?
Hearsay Offline

Pauline, isn't IV the one associated with immune issues? I have to wonder if the skin issues associated with D/S are a side effect instead of the standard genetic inheritance that the majority of the members here are dealing with.

It sounds like a fascinating book. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information