Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#17140 - 06/20/08 08:41 AM Re: starting accutane
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi

I believe that Soriatane, Acitretin and Neotigason are one of the same... The Generic name of Neotigason is Acitretin and the Brand Name is Soriatane if that clears things up...I was forever confused...Tat cleared this distinction up for me.

As some may know I have had mixed results with Accutane, and the original Tigason, and Neotigason. So far the most successful one is Neotigason (Acitretin/Soriatane).

I think that the general consensus around this board is that one is not advised to put their growing children on these drugs, as there is some controversy surrounding the affects that it has on bone growth...

The main side effects of Neotigason is the increased cholesterol, and liver function which needs close monitoring with blood tests.

The main common physical affects which we see, are general increased peeling, bleeding noses, dry lips, and thinned, sticky skin.

There are many potential side effects, but most are rare, and it is all an individual thing...

#17141 - 07/09/08 02:08 AM Re: starting accutane
dslacker Offline

Loc: Copenhagen - Denmark - Europe
Yeah - thats a lot of sideeffects... - And its not like anyone is going to look at you and say : Wow what beautiful skin you have :-)
I mean really - EHK alone is primarily a skin problem and most of the effects of the condition can be dealt with, so why risk all those horrible sideeffects...

Niels
Strong opponent of A-vitamin derivatives ;-)

------------------
The Danish Slacker
-------------------------
dslacker@trustme.dk
"Have you got the will to be weird"
----------------------

[This message has been edited by dslacker (edited July 08, 2008).]
"Have you got the will to be weird"
----------------------

#17142 - 07/09/08 08:18 AM Re: starting accutane
boomer_sooner_dup1 Offline

Loc: Norman,OK, USA
i've never actually hear of any of this.
if someone could email me with more info (or just respond on here) that would be great!
my email is: janae.e.lanford-1@ou.edu

thanks so much!

Janae
19, EHK
1st in family

#17143 - 07/09/08 01:23 PM Re: starting accutane
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Niels,

Danny (my husband) said to tell you that he agrees with YOU wholeheartedly, and that it makes me worse instead of better...

UPDATE ON MY PROGRESS
as you all know the neotigason has not been so good/successful for me, and I have had a few skin infections this year, at one stage I had approximately 50 blisters on my body...

When I went to Dermatology clinic at my local hospital recently, however on a different day to usual...I saw another Derm who I hadn't seen for a few years, and he said that my dosage of 10mg is just not enough for my severity, and that I need to be taking 30mg per day.

I told him what happens and why the dose has been kept so low, and he said that I have to put up with the horror for just 6 weeks and that I will be thanking him in the long run...

well I took the plunge, and now take 30mg per day, and amazingly it has worked, skin is nowhere near as peely now...fine peels not big sheets and not red and inflammed anymore...

The palms and soles are finally lifting...I can't get over my hands...first time in 43 years had no thickness on palms...

I have had a few weeks latelyu though whereby hands are cracking now because skin is so thin...so hoping that diminishes as skin changes more.

I am quite surprised by how well I am handling the lack of padding I have under my feet now...walking pretty well...yesterday was a bad one though, hardly walk at all, and every step I took, nearly fell over, balance is shocking...but today good...

In one week I lost 350grams in weight of skin...The Derm was really impressed with that...

Mum saw me for the first time in 5 weeks and was 'amazed', by how clear I was...

And Niels it is not about making me 'normal' or not being noticed...It is about being more comfortable, less prickly and stiff...My range of movement is much better...AND THE SMELL, THAT IS WHAT I HATE THE MOST, YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT IS WHAT INSPIRES ME TO USE THIS DRUG...

Pauline

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information