Topic Options
#17012 - 06/20/07 01:41 PM Does Aquaphor make a difference?
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
I have to admit that, over the years, I have become jaded with trying new lotions and creams.
I have read so many posts that mention Aquaphor that I thought I would look into it. It seems to be really expensive and one person mentioned that it has a petroleum base to it. I find that when I use vaseline that my skin gets discolored and the odor becomes unmanageable.
Have any of you EHKers tried and found any success with Aquaphor? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks for your feedback,
Sarah

#17013 - 06/20/07 02:08 PM Re: Does Aquaphor make a difference?
Deidra Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hi,
Evan (14, EHK)uses aquaphor almost exlusively. It is what makes him feel the best. Of all the lotions, creams, greases, etc. we have used since he was born, it is the first and only one he has requested because it made him feel better. The places he likes it the most on is the joint areas, fingers, knees and elbows. The first time we really used it after having taken a long break because of the expense, he came up to me in the evening and wiggled his fingers. He said, "Look mom, even after all day I can still do this and it doesn't hurt." Made me a believer. CVS makes a generic version of aquaphor which is pretty good. It has little bumps in it and doesn't go on quite as well as the aquaphor but has the same effects for Evan. The least expensive place I have found to buy aquaphor at least in my town is Target where it is $14.99 a tub. I have never tried ordering it directly from the company.
Good luck if you try it.
Deidra
Evan's mom.

#17014 - 06/20/07 02:17 PM Re: Does Aquaphor make a difference?
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Thanks Deidra!
It sounds like it has made a real difference for Evan. I will drop by Target to see if they have it here. They should since we are Target's home town and we seem to have one every few blocks!
I wonder if the Aquaphor would assist me with shaving my legs - I don't imagine that most of us have experience with that.

------------------
Sarah
35 with EHK

#17015 - 06/21/07 12:36 AM Re: Does Aquaphor make a difference?
snackboy Offline

Aquaphor is a great product although it is a bit pricey. My wife and I are using it on our infant and it seems to soften the skin a little. Aquaphor's base is petrolatum, which makes it similar to Vaseline. The difference is that it has other ingredients that make it lighter than Vaseline.

As for myself, I (38,EHK) never used Aquaphor or Vaseline in large amounts because of it getting into clothing. And the application of it takes a lot of time and is just plain messy. Prior to taking Soriatane (and even on occasion currently) I like to use tanning oil (not lotion), like Hawaiian Tropic. It too is pricey, but applies more evenly. It doesn't soften the skin as much as the Aquaphor or Vaseline, but it does offer limited relief.

[This message has been edited by snackboy (edited June 20, 2007).]

snackboy (EHK - NPS ?)

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information