Topic Options
#17002 - 06/05/07 08:47 PM Summer Peeling
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
I am going crazy with a summer peel. I had a cold with a low fever a couple of weeks ago and now my skin is intensely dry and peeling, especially around the finger tips.
It's hard to complain to anyone I know because I feel they don't realize how bad it can feel and that it is constant.
ARRRGG - I just want to scratch and scratch and scratch! Needless to say, I haven't been sleeping too well.
Thanks for listening...here is a pic of my hand (bad focus due to camera phone - sorry).
[img]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z229/skimmelman/hand.jpg[/img]

#17003 - 06/05/07 11:39 PM Re: Summer Peeling
mumofcalista Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Hi there,
I didnt realise the summer peel was annoying (my toddler has EHK, not me). Do you peel every summer? We were all bewildered when Calista literally 'molted' last summer. I was hoping it would happen again next summer, as it is winter in Australia and we're battling with buildup and extreme dry. I hear your frustration, it sounds awful. Is there anything you can do to help the itching? Is your summer a humid heat?

Chin up,
Rebecca

#17004 - 06/06/07 09:22 PM Re: Summer Peeling
Sarah Helen Offline

Thanks Rebecca!
I was thinking that it was the alternate season for those of you in the Southern Hem.
I usually molt a little in summer but mostly after I have been sick and had any kind of fever - even a low grade fever will do it. While I have the fever my palms get a little puffy and itchy and then a couple of weeks later they start peeling. It starts out under the fingernail and progresses from there.
It isn't too humid here, I just moved last fall from the very humid East Coast U.S. I find it to be much better here as the humidity makes me feel too hot.
While the few weeks after the molt are great the actual peeling is not at all comfortable. I usually try to relate it to a very bad sunburn where it does hurt to peel.
I know I'm just whining right now but it'll be over by the end of the week.
Take Care!

#17005 - 06/11/07 01:35 PM Re: Summer Peeling
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I have had the WORST summer cold for the last two weeks and I now have water blisters all over me, including some pretty touchy places and am in hell.
I am too weak and tired to get in the tub and I am covered with bactracin and drawing salve. This is actually my first day out of bed in nearly two weeks.
I know it's stinky and messy, but the drawing salve is fantastic on the peeling and the itchy parts.
Don't be fooled by the name, its more that it draws blood to the affected area and softens it and expedites healing. I have been experimenting more and more with it and have gotten braver about what I put it on. It hasn't hurt me yet and I am loving the results!
In a pinch, for the nighttime itching, I take Benadryl. My doctor has given me prescription strength when I have infections, but the over-the-counter stuff has stopped a lot of my nighttime itching and I don't suffer any kind of "drug hangover" in the morning.

#17006 - 06/13/07 07:50 PM Re: Summer Peeling
Sarah Helen Offline

Hi Glori!
I've never tried Benadryl because I really don't have any other allergies. I should give it a shot for those nights that I am keeping myself up!
I hope you are starting to feel better. Can you tell me more about the drawing salve? This is the first I have heard of it.

Sarah

#17007 - 06/21/07 12:49 AM Re: Summer Peeling
snackboy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Helen:
[B]I am going crazy with a summer peel. I had a cold with a low fever a couple of weeks ago and now my skin is intensely dry and peeling, especially around the finger tips.
It's hard to complain to anyone I know because I feel they don't realize how bad it can feel and that it is constant.
ARRRGG - I just want to scratch and scratch and scratch! Needless to say, I haven't been sleeping too well.
Thanks for listening...here is a pic of my hand (bad focus due to camera phone - sorry).

Prior to taking medication, I used to have this itching in my hands and feet, and it would drive me nuts. I used to itch my wrists, hands, and feet until they bled or the skin ripped off. Finally, I found that running hot tap water on them until I couldn't stand the temperature and then some, would temporarily relieve the itching. Not the most ideal solution, but it was something that I could do at work or home.

I have been fortunate with Soriatane, and haven't had the problem since.

snackboy (EHK - NPS ?)

#17008 - 06/21/07 01:53 PM Re: Summer Peeling
Sarah Helen Offline

Hi,
I've had good luck with Soriatane also. I do go off it for a week or two here and there as the pharmacy runs out or I just need a break. I find that the summer peel is not as bad when I'm on it.
Of course, this time I wasn't - my bad luck!

Sarah

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information