Topic Options
#16937 - 02/13/07 08:37 PM Story for Pre-Schoolers
Candy Padilla Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Hi everyone,
I'm Candy, mommy to Matti who's 2 1/2 now and has EHK. Thanks for your earlier advice. His skin infections now are much lesser. Thanks for all your encouragement!

My husband and I plan to let him join a pre-school/play school by March. The school teachers are asking if I know of any children's story book that will sort of touch on Matti's differences?

They've asked me to go to the school, read this story to the kids during circle time so they can answer questions about Matti's skin.

I'm a teacher working with children with Dyslexia and Learning Disabilities but I can't think of any book right now except for
"You Are Special" by Max Lucado...which by the way, made me cry.

Maybe some of you know of any story book? I know that using literature and metaphors are great ways to help children adjust to social/emotional issues.

Thanks for your help!

Candy

#16938 - 02/13/07 09:03 PM Re: Story for Pre-Schoolers
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but we have three favorite books in our house that teaches about being an individual, special, different, and being wonderful just the way you are.

The first is an older book called "Leo the Lop" by Stephen Cosgrove. My favorite line in the book (and the lesson of the book) is at the end and it is "Normal is whatever you are."

Our second is a book called "Giraffes Can't Dance" by Giles Andrede. It is also about being different and being special in your own special way.

The third book is called "Hooray for You!" by Marianne Richmond. It is about being proud of yourself, being unique and like the book says...it's "A Celebration of You-ness!"

We love all three of those books and all three have really beautiful illustrations. Hope this helps!!!
Lisa

[This message has been edited by Angel24755 (edited February 13, 2007).]

#16939 - 02/13/07 10:22 PM Re: Story for Pre-Schoolers
Candy Padilla Offline

Hi Lisa,
Yes! Those are the sort of books I'm looking for! Oh I'm excited to look for them here, I just hope they're available locally. If not, will just order them from the internet.

Thanks so much Lisa!
It's such a big help. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
Candy

#16940 - 02/13/07 11:34 PM Re: Story for Pre-Schoolers
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
So glad I could help!! We are big readers in our house and my children love books so we have a huge collection. I love those books that teach children to be proud of who they are...such an important lesson for all children.
I just checked Barnes & Noble online and all three books are in print and are in stock there. Leo the Lop is an older book but still in print and there is a small series of Leo the Lop books so the one you are looking for is the original one simply titled "Leo the Lop." I still have an original hardback copy from when I was a child. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Lisa

#16941 - 02/14/07 12:37 AM Re: Story for Pre-Schoolers
jds Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I was just going to suggest Leo the Lop. It is very cute. I read it to my kinder kiddos every year. It is a bit long though. It is a Serendipty book.

Another one is Odd Velvet. About a little gilr that is very different than the other kids. Brings the teacher a rock, uses only 8 crayons, and knows lots of weird things. By the end of the story, the children realize that she is not odd and actually beign to enjoy/appreciate some of the same things.

Charlie the Caterpillar by Dom Deluise. About an ugly caterpillar that wants nothing more than to be wanted by the other creatures. He tends into a beautiful butterfly and the creatures of course decide they want to play. He makes friends with a "ugly" girl caterpillar who of course in turn becomes a butterfly. You could then have the kids watercolor 2 coffee filters. I pinch the coffee filters between clothes pins to make butterflies. We even sit around and talk about how each of our butterflies is perfect because we made it and each one is also very different.

Clara Caterpillar- again on the same lines.

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

Oh gosh, if you need more let us know. I'll pull my beginning of the year books and look through them. I have probably 30-40 related to this topic.
lamellar ichthyosis

#16942 - 03/09/07 08:23 PM Re: Story for Pre-Schoolers
Evan's Mommy Offline

Loc: Portland, ME 04106
Our favorite feel good book is "Incredible You!" It has little positive poems and gorgeous art work. There are a few God references (God forbid - ha ha ha) so I am not sure if it is public school friendly.
What a great idea about the books.
Best Wishes,
Kimberly

PS - I haven't read it in a while but isn't the ugly duckling a classic feel good book about being different?

#16943 - 03/10/07 07:23 PM Re: Story for Pre-Schoolers
Candy Padilla Offline

Thanks for all the books you suggested! They are such a big help.

I thought of the ugly duckling too, although my worry is that at the end, the duckling transforms into a beautiful swan and admired by everyone... but Matti's skin won't change and become 'normal.' So I figured, it might create an unrealistic expectation that it will just go away eventually. I would want him to accept his differences for the way they are, don't we all? [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I appreciate all your help.
Regards, everyone. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Candy

#16944 - 03/11/07 04:46 AM Re: Story for Pre-Schoolers
dslacker Offline

Loc: Copenhagen - Denmark - Europe
As for the Ugly Duckling I dont think that would be a problem - I refer to the Wiki analysis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_duckling
The ending states:The children declare that he is the most beautiful swan of them all, yet he isn't proud for a good heart is never proud. Because of all that he suffered he now appreciates his happiness so much more. "It doesn't matter that you were born in a duck yard, so long as you have lain inside a swan's egg."

Might require some discussion as you say, but still...

Other suggestions:

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_little_prince
Excellent adventure which in my oppinion fits your purpose...
Might be for a little later but...

What about Pinnocchio ?

Here in europe a we use a lot the works of Astrid Lindgren.

And you never go wrong with Winnie the Pooh

[This message has been edited by dslacker (edited March 10, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by dslacker (edited March 10, 2007).]
"Have you got the will to be weird"
----------------------

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information