Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16888 - 11/29/06 11:28 AM Itching
Deidra Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hi everyone,
I haven't asked a question in a while but I am at my wits end. My 14 year old son has EHK. For the most part, he has never been itchy. About 6 weeks ago, he finally came clean and told me some comments he had been hearing at school regarding his odor. While I had been lecturing him on taking better care of his skin, it hadn't been important to him yet. To make a long story short, he decided to take better care of it and between the two of us, we have it all cleared up and odor free. Now it itches like crazy. Started with his back, moved to his one arm and neck, now his front and legs are starting to itch. We stuck to the same products, except for lotion. We took some suggestions and tried the St. Ives collagen elastin. The difference has been in using soap more often and a wash cloth and scrubbing better.
He has been to the family dr. twice. Given prescription allergy medicine. First Zyrtec and now allegra. He was given a steroid cream which I tried to use sparingly only on the parts that itch and now is on oral prednisone. His itching is still getting worse.
His skin looks better than I have seen it in years. His back is a little red but no rash or bumps. My skin on the other hand has become itchy in some spots and bumpy in some spots. I am concerned it could be scabies. I am calling dr. today and having him look at me also.
First question, any suggestions on reason for itching or things to help itching? Second question, anyone with EHK ever been treated for scabies?
Thanks for listening to my rants and any suggestions would be welcome. Watching him scratch is just breaking my heart and I know it is driving him crazy.
Deidra

#16889 - 11/29/06 12:15 PM Re: Itching
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Deidra,

Gee, we haven't talked in a long long time...this is a real puzzle for me...I have never had scabies

All I could think of was perhaps because his skin is so good at the moment, maybe bed bugs are able to bite him more now, without scales...might sound silly, just grasping at straws really... [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

But that doesn't explain why you are having it at the same time does it? Very strange thing...

I guess if it was anything like cellulitis the doctor would have noticed...
he wouldn't be having any nervous reaction to the comments at school would he...??

I am sorry I can't be anymore help...I was going to suggest Zyrtec (it is great for me) but you have tried that already...

Good luck with it Deidre, and i will be very interested to find out what it was...Hope you both get some relief from it soon

Love Pauline

[This message has been edited by pauline5 (edited November 29, 2006).]

#16890 - 11/29/06 01:06 PM Re: Itching
Deidra Offline

Thank-you both for your quick replies. I cleaned Evan's bedroom from top to bottom on Monday and steam cleaned the carpet. I washed all his clothes and bedding at the laundromat and put a plastic sheet on his bed thinking of bed bugs. I would think that would have helped some if it was to blame.
I have also been considering stress a factor. Is it also possible that his skin is so thin now he is feeling every little thing and it is making it itchy? Not sure about mine. Trully doesn't follow the syptoms of scabies. Maybe it is pschosomatic. I am a teacher and if a student around me gets lice, my head starts itching. My husband and older son haven't been itching yet.
Erin, what is tricamcinalone cream? Does the atarax make Ethan sleepy? I have been looking up all the old posts about itchy and one thing that came across was atarax causes drowsiness. That wouldn't be so bad at night. I am going to talk to dr. about that.
Once again, Thanks.
Deidra
p.s. He also finished up a dose of keflex antibiotic this week for mild skin infection. This began after the itching started.

[This message has been edited by Deidra (edited November 29, 2006).]

#16891 - 11/30/06 09:00 PM Re: Itching
didi4nyc Offline

Loc: ny
agree with previous post atrax and tri..cant spell the whole thing hehehe are both amazing! Atrax does cause drowsiness but if you can be organize and take at the same time everyday it is great ( i should take my own advice). The stereo cream is great but i was told not to use it all over just my most itchy spots.

#16892 - 12/03/06 12:45 PM Re: Itching
Deidra Offline

Evan's itchies seem to be getting better. Still not sure the cause and not sure they are gone but he went through much of yesterday without itching so much. We are finishing up his dose of oral steroids but are giving him benedryl instead of prescription allergy medicine. Still no clues from his skin why he is so itchy. Still trying to get into a derm. I just can't seem to find one I like.

Here is the real reason I am posting again. I was looking up info on hives. Came across a "recipe" to help itching and we tried it with Evan and thought I would pass it on here since he didn't itch last night after his bath. We only tried it once so not sure if it is responsible or not. Anyway, here goes. In 1/2 tub of water, add 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup baking soda. He came out of that and his hair was so soft and he wasn't itchy.

Let me know if anyone tries it and how it works.

Deidra

#16893 - 12/12/06 12:06 PM Re: Itching
Deidra Offline

Ok all, Pediatrician now thinks it is hives that is causing Evan's problems. Starting to have more visible symptoms than when I first posted. I have searched all of the old posts about hives and have some suggestions but am looking for anything new or current. Pediatrician prescribed atarax for Evan yesterday. We are giving it a try. We were able to control the itching over the weekend with benedryl but he went about 10 hours yesterday without taking it and itched as bad as ever. Hives, if that's what they are, were even breaking out on his face last night until a couple hours after taking atarax. Pediatrician is going to add his weight to mine and try to get him into a dermatologist sooner than I was able to get him in on my own. Any new suggestions anyone has?? We are working on figuring out what has been done differntly around our house in the last two months as to possible allergens. We are at a loss.
Thanks.
Deidra

#16894 - 12/12/06 03:10 PM Re: Itching
texlex99_dup1 Offline

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN USA
Hi Deidra, I have nethertons, and I have dealt with chronic hives since I was about 15 years old, we finally went to an allergist, who did some testing, but he figured out that my hives were due to the fact that I had gone into puberty, and the increase or change in hormones is what caused my hives, as I was breaking out right before and during a period. I'm not sure if the hives your son has could be hormone related but it is worth checking out. I don't break out as much as I used to, but when it was really bad, I would have to take a course of prednisone, and then also take a combination of benedryl, atarax, and (I know that this sounds weird, but it works) zantac, and I would take those three on a regular basis, basically not let the drugs get out of my system. My allergist prescribed all of that. When I kept the benedry, atarax, and zantac in my system on constant basis, then I wouldn't have to be on the prednisone as long. Also look at the drug store for a lotion called Sarna, it really helps with itching. Please contact me if I can be of anymore help.

Becky

#16895 - 12/14/06 11:18 AM Re: Itching
Deidra Offline

Thanks Becky for your info.

We went to the dermotologist yesterday. A local guy our pediatrician was able to get us into immediately. On a good note, as soon as he looked at Evan, he said Hyperkeratosis Ichthyosis. On a bad note, he didn't seem at all interested in finding the CAUSE of the itchies. While he did culture some skin and order blood work, to make sure nothing internal was going on, he basically wants us to go on like we are. Didn't even mention anything about us coming back. He did make me feel a little better by letting me know the atarax doesn't form an addiction of anything and doesn't build up in the body.
He thought the bumps I have been having on my body are animal mite bites. Suggested we keep the cats out of the bedrooms. Anyone else have suggestions?
He also gave me samples of mimyx cream. I have seen it on several posts here so I am going to have to go back and look at some of those. He is also not a member of F.I.R.S.T.
I guess that is all the update I have for now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This board is such a life saver.
Deidra

#16896 - 12/15/06 11:49 AM Re: Itching
Deidra Offline

Hi,
No, I haven't tried the cream. Forgot to take the name to Dr. when we went. I am currently trying to treat the entire house and pets for mites and hoping that will help Evan's itching too. Strange thing is, he for the most part has never itched!! That is why I so hope we can find a cause and fix it. Hopefully it isn't puberty.
Deidra

#16897 - 12/19/06 01:52 PM Re: Itching
Deidra Offline

ITCHING UPDATE

Evan has stopped itching. He has not taken any antihistamine since Saturday bedtime. He still has little bumps growing though. While we were at dermotologist, he wanted to check what was going on from the inside so he ordered blood work and did a culture on some skin under Evan's armpit where he has been itchy for a long time.
The culture came back with "a very resistant staph infection" They have ordered him a different antibiotic to hopefully take care of it. I can't remember the name but I can post it after I pick up the prescription. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks for all your input!!
Deidra

#16898 - 12/21/06 11:33 PM Re: Itching
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Deidra

I am glad this is finally solved for you, but I can't believe they waited this long to check his blood...I mean he has EHK...staph goes hand in hand with this...

Anyway at least he will have an itch free Xmas...

MERRY XMAS TO YOU ALL
Love Pauline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information