Topic Options
#16760 - 03/28/05 06:53 PM Florida vacation
Chunner Offline

Loc: Constantine, MI 49042
We're taking Christian to Disney World this weekend. Any advice for the warm weather or how to deal with Disney for him?
Thanks!
Dawn

#16761 - 03/29/05 12:40 PM Re: Florida vacation
Deidra Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Oh what fun!!!
I imagine you have already gone through old posts regarding heat. There are lots of good tips there. Some I used with Evan when he was little was to carry a spritzer bottle. They even have them now with little fans on them. Also if we went out and about and I was worried about the heat, I would put several ziplock bags with wet washcloths in them right down in a cooler of ice. Using the ziplocks that way, we could carry our drinks or whatever and use the washcloth around his neck or pulse points to cool him down when needed. One more piece of advice, alternate your outdoor activities with shows and stuff that are air-conditioned, and or plan those indoor activities during the hottest sunniest parts of the day. That will give all of you a cool down and rest activity
Evan has shown me he is much more tolerant of heat than I expected when he was little.
I guess my biggest advice is HAVE FUN.
Deidra

#16762 - 03/29/05 04:14 PM Re: Florida vacation
ShaunaJ Offline

Loc: Ogden,Utah
There is a ton to see there . My family went years agao for a week and still didn't see everything. What they did is got a map of the park and planned their days ahead. This might also help with what Deidra said about alternating your outdoor activities with shows and stuff that are air-conditioned to help cool him down. Most of all though HAVE FUN! I am jealous I wished we were going. You will have to let us know how it went. Have fun!

Shauna
"Choose a job that you LOVE and
you'll never WORK a day in your life!"

#16763 - 03/30/05 11:09 AM Re: Florida vacation
Chelle Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
One piece of advice from when I went to Disney in high school: get your son a handicapped pass. I think you go to the information desk when you walk into the park and ask for one and explain why you need it. With the pass, your family skips the regular line for a ride or show, and enters the handicapped/special access line, avoiding waiting in the heat and sun. I can tell you that this pass was invaluable to me when I visited Disney!

#16764 - 03/30/05 07:45 PM Re: Florida vacation
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Thanks for all the tips! I'm taking Nathan there in June, so I expect it will be hot hot hot! I know we've had dehydration issues just from going to the zoo in Columbus, and it isn't half as bad as Florida. It'll be an interesting trip, to say the least.

Jennifer
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#16765 - 03/31/05 03:42 PM Re: Florida vacation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to reiterate what Chelle said. Get the handicapped pass, it will cut your time in the sun tremendously. I've lived near disneyland all these years, always took my cousins there whenever they visited and suffered in the heat. Never knew that I could have gotten a handicapped pass until the last time I went we got one for my sisinlaw who had just had hip replacement surgery. You can even rent an electric scooter or wheel chair. The heat has always kept me from doing things I have wanted to, now that I'm aware of this I won't be so hesitant to go have fun.
Keith.

#16766 - 03/31/05 07:33 PM Re: Florida vacation
ShaunaJ Offline

Loc: Ogden,Utah
I am glad to know that too. We are thinking of going to Disneyland this year since the baby is now 2 and will enjoy it. My kids have been begging to go so we are working on plans now to go later this year.

Shauna
"Choose a job that you LOVE and
you'll never WORK a day in your life!"

#16767 - 04/09/05 02:32 AM Re: Florida vacation
Chunner Offline

Loc: Constantine, MI 49042
Thanks everyone for your info. We had a great time and Christian did much better than We thought he would do! I carried his cooling vest with refills both days and he never needed it but the water bottle idea was perfect! We used the hat with the long back and that was invaluable! So was going spacing inside activities with outside ones! I left before I got the handicapp pass idea! I will definately use that next time! Thanks again everyone! I don't know what I would do without your help!

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information