Topic Options
#16717 - 12/01/04 12:12 AM Good Skin Creme for Face?
Shirlil Offline

Loc: L.A., CA USA
Hi Everyone;

We are looking for a good facial cream to use on my 1 year old daughter(Actually she will be one on Dec. 6). Her face, is very mildly affected. The worst it has gotten so far, is that in some places you can see a some change in skin tone, which seems to come and go in cycles. The amount of area affected also changes in cycles. So we wanted to see if any one has any suggestions or experience how to deal with this.

On a different note, as I mentioned earlier, my daughter will be 1 year old this Monday. I have been thinking about this past year and all the ups and downs we have been through. One thing I know is that this whole year would have been so much harder without the help of everyone on this board. One day, I will post our story and our experiences in order to possibly help other people. Until then just wanted to say, THANKS from the bottom of my heart.

Sherry

#16718 - 12/01/04 01:19 PM Re: Good Skin Creme for Face?
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
I still swear by Cetaphil. I've been using it since birth on Nathan. He'll be 2 this month.
We do use Aquaphor on his hands and feet at night and naptime. That works pretty good on the thick areas, but it's a bit much for anywhere else.

Brian uses Jergen's Ultra Healing. It isn't as good as the Cetaphil, but it sure is cheaper!

We've also tried and found useless:
Aveeno
Gerber Baby lotion
Lubriderm
Curex
Neutrogena Swiss formula

Curex does an okay job, but it isn't that great. It is probably fine for the face, though.

The Neutrogena works as a 2nd layer for Brian, but it is too thin to put on right after a bath.

We also have some Eucerin, but find that it is like glue. smirk

Jennifer
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#16719 - 12/02/04 01:08 AM Re: Good Skin Creme for Face?
Shirlil Offline

Jennifer;

Thanks. We will try Cetaphil. Do you use the one in green container?

Sherry

#16720 - 12/02/04 12:06 PM Re: Good Skin Creme for Face?
Deidra Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hi,
Our lotion of choice for Evan's face is Eucerin Plus. It is mild enough for his face but also has some of the Alpha Hydroxy acids to help remove the dry skin around his mouth and in front of his ears. I recently discovered that CVS has a store brand that works as well as the Eucerin Plus and is cheaper. In the past, we have used and liked Eucerin Cream but only at bedtime or at home because Evan "doesn't like to look like a ghost" It doesn't rub in very well but keeps his face looking nice after it soaks in. I haven't yet found a cheaper version of the cream we like. Another old favorite is Theraplex emollient. It comes in a tube and is similar to vaseline but doesn't leave his face shiney. It makes a nice topper for the Eucerin Plus for daytime use. It is pretty expensive though.
As for his body, at least his joints, his favorite "grease" is Aquaphor. This too can be found in a CVS brand at a better price. We also use Jergen's Ultra Healing lotion on his body.
Current favorite shampoo-Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil.
Current favorite bath supplement-Sea Salt.
He is 12 now and does 90% of his skin care. He is kind of lazy about it but as long as he is comfortable and not getting infections, I let him do it. I don't believe he puts anything on his face and mainly uses the grease on his "bendy places." Otherwise he lets his skin go and feels good.
Dee

#16721 - 12/06/04 12:22 AM Re: Good Skin Creme for Face?
Shirlil Offline

Thanks everyone and I am sorry for my late reply. It was a very busy few days. Jennifer, we are going to give Cetaphil a try. Deidra, we are also going to try Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil for shampoo, but I have to first make sure that it does not burn her eyes.

Just yesterday, I was in the Body and Bath Shop and saw 100% Shea butther cream in the True Blue section. The sales person was telling me how effective it is with dry skin. I bought it and I am going to try it out. I will let everyone know how it goes. Maybe you already have experience with this.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information