Topic Options
#16568 - 01/17/04 03:51 AM Creams to swear by/at?
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
So far, we've discovered Cetaphil ($9 a jar at BJ's - anyone found it cheaper?) for my son and Jergen's Ultra Healing for my husband (Cetaphil is too expensive).

Our dermatologist also prescribes a combo of 10% urea, 10% lactic acid and 10% glycerin in some sort of base.

We use the paraffin bath and have humidifiers running at 45% in each of the bedrooms during the winter.

My husband wraps his feet in saran wrap nightly so that they humidify and he can walk. If anyone hasn't tried this, a fair warning - it makes them itch.

We've tried Tazorac and it caused my son's hand to blister until they bled.

We use the black 100/180 nail files on hands and feet on both boys, and my husband uses a Dremel 1 or 2x a month to eliminate the calluses.

Jennifer
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#16569 - 01/17/04 01:06 PM Re: Creams to swear by/at?
Deidra Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
My son uses Jergen's Ultra Healing also. My current favorite though is the CVS version of aquaphor. It is in a jar and less expensive than aquaphor. His hands are in better condition than they have been for as long as I can remember. They also have a version of Cetaphil I think. I haven't tried it. I also like to use Eucerin Plus on Evan's face. I used it on his entire body when he was an infant and toddler. Once again I recently discovered the CVS brand and like it just as well. I had never been to a CVS pharmacy until someone on here suggested trying some of their brands.
Evan is having a really good winter so far. This is generally the time of year he fights infections and knock on wood, he hasn't had one yet this winter. I think that the CVS aquaphor and my new best favorite treatment sea salt baths are probably the reason.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information