Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#23074 - 10/30/08 06:15 PM Re: Gentics of CIE [Re: wva]
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
Happy 13th b-day to your daughter!

My skin was pretty bad as a kid, and didn't really improve until I hit puberty. Unfortunately, I was a "late bloomer" and didn't start menstruating until I was 16. Jr High was awful for me. High school wasn't so bad, once I got involved in things I liked and I had a great support system of friends!

My skin REALLY improved when I turned 18, and my, um "chest development" hastened at about the same time--leading me to believe it was probably my hormones that helped improve my skin. My skin also improved during both pregnancies.

I haven't seen any "downturn" like WVA yet, but I'm only 29. I use VaniCream during the summer, with Nivea Cream on my face. In the winter, I use Velvachol. It's a little bit stronger (and more expensive). Both of them are great moisturizers, and are water-soluble so I can wash them out of my clothes and bedding easily enough. I use Vaseline on my feet, though. They've always seemed to need heavier moisturizing.

#27892 - 08/18/11 03:25 AM Re: Gentics of CIE [Re: immystique]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, Libby,

I'm not sure if you're still interested in a response to your question, as it's from a few years ago, now, but I'm replying anyway smile

I have CIE, and am in my mid-twenties. I found it bothersome but not so bad as a teenager, though I have always been a very confident person. I have not dated much--but that's not because I haven't been asked!--those who I've dated haven't been so bothered by it, even though it's visible. My mom always told me that having something physically different helps "weed out" the jerks. Good people to date won't care what you look like!

As to improvement--well, I've not really had any improvement, in fact I think the appearance is *a little* worse, but this is balanced out by knowing how to care for it better/more effectively. I used to use Vaseline, but now I use Eucerin, and I have found the dryness and flakiness has greatly reduced. Really, I'm so amazed by this, b/c it's a very recent discovery for me.

If you're daughter ever wants someone to talk to, I'd be more than happy to hear from you. I know that as a kid, I would have loved to talk to someone who led a "normal" life who is only just beyond the teen years, as I am now.

#28252 - 02/04/12 11:48 PM Re: Gentics of CIE [Re: Lisa Marie]
JustinsMommy Offline

Loc: eDOCs
I have a 14 month old who was diagnosed with CIE...Please help! This is all so confusing

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information