Topic Options
#16221 - 04/27/07 02:58 AM Genetics Question
CowgirlGina Offline

Loc: California
I have a question...I know this will be a LONG LONG LONG ways off...But...I was curious. Do people with Lamellar Ichthyosis USUALLY pass it on to their children? I was just curious...

#16222 - 05/01/07 03:40 AM Re: Genetics Question
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
LI is a recessive condition. So sometimes it is passed on as an active case of LI, if your spouse also has the gene. Sometimes the child inherits one copy of the gene, but doesn't get the condition himself. That child can pass on the condition, but won't actually have LI.

Look at it this way:

Mommy B has LI (two genes represented as aa)
Daddy B does not have LI (two genes represented as AA)

so the chances for baby b to get the condition are zero. (expressed as Aa, Aa, Aa, Aa). Chances for baby b to carry the gene are 100%.

Mommy B has LI (aa)
Daddy B does not have LI, but carries the gene (Aa)

baby b has a 50% chance of the condition.
Aa, Aa, aa, aa

hope this helps.

#16223 - 05/01/07 03:40 PM Re: Genetics Question
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Your chances of marrying a carrier of LI are 1 in 250.

If you marry any of those 249/250 that aren't carriers, your children will get 1 copy of the gene from you and a normal gene from your husband. They will not be affected, but they will all be carriers.

If you marry that 1/250 who is a carrier, you will pass on your copy, and your husband will give the normal copy to 50% and the LI copy to 50%. Half your kids will be carriers and half will be affected.

Your overall chances of having an affected kid are:

1/1 (you) x 1/250 (spouse) x 1/2 (2 possible outcomes). That's 1x250x2=500. 1/500 is considered extremely rare. It's about the same odds a 35yo person has of having a child with Down Syndrome.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#16224 - 05/02/07 12:03 AM Re: Genetics Question
CowgirlGina Offline

Loc: California
Hey thanks! And I was just curious...Does having Icthyosis have any affect on how the child would be born? Would it be more difficult? Don't worry I know I'm ony fourteen but this stuff really catches my interest for some reason...

#16225 - 05/02/07 01:31 AM Re: Genetics Question
Kotick Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Check out this website, it gives you a lot of very clear information relating to LI, including having children etc.
http://www.sos.se/smkh/2002-110-7/2002-110-7.htm

Hope this helps

Jeff

#16226 - 06/13/07 08:19 AM Re: Genetics Question
IchthyosisBrother Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
my brother has lamellar ichthyosis (both parents didnt have ichthyosis, didnt know they carried it, didnt have any history as far as they knew and didnt know he was going to have it before he was born. when he was born they didnt even know what it was and was only given hours to live) and has a son without it. i was told when i was about 14 that although i dont have ichthyosis i am a carrier of it so it is possible that when i have kids they could have it. i do have eczema though.

------------------
My brother has Ichthyosis

[This message has been edited by IchthyosisBrother (edited June 13, 2007).]

#16227 - 06/13/07 01:27 PM Re: Genetics Question
Kotick Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
It is true that if you are a carrier that you could have a child with ichthyosis, but the odds are in your favour. You would have to be pretty unlucky to fall in love with the carrier of the other gene you would need to have someone with LI. I wouldn't let it bother you too much,

Take care

Jeff

PS If you haven't already, check out the link above and it will give you some detailed info on Lamellar ichthyosis and the odds of having an affected child yourself.

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information