Topic Options
#16206 - 06/21/07 10:01 PM Feeling Blue
libby Offline

Loc: USA
Well, I keep waiting for my daughters skin to get better in this summer heat. Her skin is so bad at the moment. She is also having a horrible go with it concerning her ears. She has had otitis externa now for 9 months. It has progressed to the pt where she will have to go to the ENT every week for a cleaning and be on drops for 21 days (at least)NO SWIMMING. She also has a fungal infection on her feet. The poor kid is just so depressed and feeling like things are never going to improve. We are going to make an appt. w/an infectious disease dr. to see what if anything he/she can do. I know that fungal infectons are par for the course. I know things can be much worse, but....

Thanks for listening. Sometimes this is the only place where I feel comfortable "talking". At least on the bb I will get responses from those who have been there and done that!

Lib

[This message has been edited by libby (edited June 21, 2007).]

#16207 - 06/22/07 12:38 AM Re: Feeling Blue
Kotick Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
G'day Libby,

Just a short note to say hang in there, things will improve in time and your daughter will enjoy life more. Sounds like you're a great mum!

Keep up the good work!!!

Jeff

#16208 - 06/22/07 01:58 AM Re: Feeling Blue
libby Offline

Thanks Jeff! I don't feel like a great mom at the moment. I feel as though I should/could be doing more. I just finished putting drops in Claire's ear and her response was "why me"? I have to keep reassuring her that she is an awesome kid. She does great in school, is class Pres., has lots of friends, and was recognized and rewarded in school for being an all around great student. I guess sometimes all that "stuff" doesn't seem to matter when you are feeling blue. Hopefully her skin with become more "normal" and her ears will improve. I think she is just really really bummed because she isn't going to be able to go in the pool for quite some time yet. I also think this last ear infection took a tremendous amount out of her. She was very close to being hospitalized. The pain was way too intense for 3 days. Being so sick has also done a # on her skin.

Lib

#16209 - 06/22/07 02:29 AM Re: Feeling Blue
Kotick Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
It can be very tough to deal with medical issues that aren't coomon to others, regardless of your age. That said, I alwasy find the best way to get past feeling blue is to find things to be thankful for. If you focus on the positives then there is less time to dwell on the negatives of life. Sounds a bit airy fairy, but it does work.

Claire sounds like a great kid, something that you should be proud of because you are a big part of her successes.

#16210 - 06/22/07 03:12 AM Re: Feeling Blue
ChicagoLaura Offline

Loc: Chicago
Libby,
Sorry to hear Claire is still having a difficult time. I had really bad ear infections a lot when I was younger and know how painful and frustrating they can be. However, I am encourage to hear how well-adjusted Claire is given that my daughter also has CIE and I always worry what her future will hold. Hope Claire feels better soon!
Laura

#16211 - 06/23/07 05:10 AM Re: Feeling Blue
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Libby, I remember the regular ENT visits as a child/teen...I also had a couple of stays in hospital for general anasthetics to get the skin out of my inner ear...(infections & perforated eardrum)

How old is your daughter? I really feel both you and your daughter's frustration. I guess her missing out on here swimming is the last straw for her...

Libby please don't doubt yourself, you are an excellent mum for constantly reassuring her, and look at the accolades she has received, says alot about you, and her nature.

What is your and your daughter's sense of humour like? I have had a badly infected blister and rawness in between my buttocks for 6 days now, and why it has been very painful, with daily visits for dressings, I have the most sick sense of humour...lots of Bum Jokes...hehe

it seems to be a family trait, as my sister and i have been having lots of fun with it this week...To be honest i am getting a bit fed up with not being able to sit properly, but i still laugh about it a lot...

My mum phoned me the other day, and i was making jokes about it...and she said "Pauline, it is so good that you can have a sense of humour about this" but she said it in a half saddened voice/helpless tone...similar to your frustration I imagine...

Just remember we all go through these tricky/down times, but we always come through the other end...I think it makes us stronger for the experience and patience required...

Hire out some good comedies, as laughter is a natural painkiller and mood lifter...

Love Pauline

#16212 - 06/23/07 02:03 PM Re: Feeling Blue
Hannah's Mom Offline

Loc: Grafton, North Dakota, USA
Oh Libby I so relate to the "why me"? For the most part Hannah (11 yrs) goes about her routine and doesn't complain, but the days of the 'why does my skin have to be like this? or my skin is so ugly' my heart does a little break. No matter the reassurances if she's in a bad mood that day there's no convincing her otherwise. So, a hug out to you and Claire (also my 8 year-old's name!). I step back at times and realize that while she may feel that way one particular day, it doesn't completely rule her life and for that we are thankful. Starting to think some of it is pre-PMS!) Now if only I could convince her on the days when she says 'I'm so fat' and she is NOT - an absolute average sized child with two best friends and a little sister who happen to be bean-pole skinny. Do you think perhaps the two might like to correspond? She's yet to really connect with another child with ich. as she was only 5 when we went to out last conference in Seattle. Again, hope the ear situation improves soon. Susan

#16213 - 06/23/07 07:14 PM Re: Feeling Blue
libby Offline

To Pauline:
Yes, sometimes a sense of humor is really the best remedy. When Claire was having her ears cleaned we would joke about potatoes growing in her ears! I would also whisper "can ya hear me now" over and over again. I can get her to laugh very easily because I can really be a goofball at times.

To Hannah's Mom:

I am sure Claire would love to correspond with your daughter! It's a great idea! Right now, Claire uses our email address which is mmarkonic1@msn.com.

Thanks to all of you who have posted so positively. It really helps to hear kind words.

Lib

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information